The best SHM-SACDs (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I can't listen longer to the surface noise of LPs. Wasting time to send back defective pressings and on and on. I still own a fine LP collection.... Since I have sold all my analogue gear, I listen at friends.

MisterBritt likes this.
  2. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

No room for both? Vinyl isn't THAT cool. A lot of hype in this day and age, did you get swept up in it? I enjoy both and will continue to do so.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

To each his own. I still don't like vinyl.

4. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Good for you:cheers:

MisterBritt likes this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Some stuff sounds "better" on vinyl, no doubt about it imo, but that's no reason to abandon digital. Digital can sound GREAT. Multichannel music sounds better digitally and I am into that big time. The analog only frat boys are hilarious especially in a thread that has nothing to do with vinyl/analog, and I have no problem telling them how ridiculous they are. No doubt that if I went into an analog/vinyl thread and boasted about how great digital is and how vinyl is a waste of time, I would be deservingly chastised. But I don't because both CAN sound excellent and I do enjoy both. That is all I will say about this on the subject in this thread.

6. KeithH

As it comes down to in every such discussion, personal preference and case by case basis.

7. Hymie the Robot

That is why choosing one over the other is retarded.

8. KeithH

Asserting one as superior to the other is the real problem. People should choose for themselves and leave it at that. No need to shove it down other people's throats as though they have to agree with you and they are wrong for believing otherwise.

Starwanderer and townsend like this.
  9. Hymie the Robot

This is a digital medium thread and to boast about giving up digital in it as something to be proud about is a real problem.

10. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

While the Innervisions SHM-SACD is very good the Audio Fidelity CD is even better.

11. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Right, that's my reference beside the SHM-SACD and Mofi.

12. Hymie the Robot

Nothing wrong with the Hires download either. Haven't compared to the AF CD and doubt I will, the download and the SACD are both excellent.

13. Musicisthebest

Which version of Imagine do you prefer?

I've read this http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/your-preferred-way-to-listen-to-john-lennons-imagine.325029/ which has left me thinking that the SHM-SACD is one of the better ways of listening to this.

14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Have you heard the platinum SHM CD (not sure if it shares the same mastering as the SHM-SACD)? It's very good. Though it's the only digital version I have heard in a long time, I do like it better than the original Tamla LP.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

No, I only have the SHM-SACD.

16. Musicisthebest

I've not heard the Platinum SHM CD either.

17. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Divining things from CD Japan, which is always a risky proposition, both Innervisions SHM-SACD and CD reference 2011: SACD-Uses the 2011 DSD master based on US original analog tape (subject to change). and CD- HR cutting from the DSD master which was flat transferred from US original analogue master tapes in 2011.

I thought Stevie does not release the master tapes.

Dino likes this.
  18. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

I went through this stage more then 40 years ego. Also sold my ttable and LPs. Now it's your turn.

MisterBritt likes this.
  19. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Regarding SHM-SACD the last new titles I bought were the Public Image ones. Will Universal be releasing any other rock/pop titles this year. The Free releases are great but what about the other Free titles such as At Last, Heartbreaker and Highway as it seems odd to do only a few albums from a fairly short discography.

20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

How were those by the way?

21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I thought they were very good although so were the 2011 remasters. I also got the Metal Box in a tin as 3 cds like the original vinyl but it is only HR cutting not sacd. Second Edition is an sacd and really is quite terrific. I would doubt much more sound could be squeezed out of theses tapes but it is nice to have Pils first 3 albums and the Pistols Bollocks as sacd along with all the Van Der Graaf Generator sacds.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  22. toilet_doctor

Musicisthebest likes this.
  23. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Only just recently got a SACD player and went on a shopping spree. Have to admit that I haven't been overwhelmed by what I've heard so far - a lot if it sounds overly harsh. Will check out Imagine and other board recommendations, but my copy of The Velvet Underground & Nico will be gathering dust (after two listens).

24. toilet_doctor

Please put list of the crap here.

25. Lucidae

Lucidae AAD

You mustn't assume that SACD's have a better track record than other formats, they are equally hit and miss - you have to be very careful.

Dino, toilet_doctor, bmoregnr and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.