The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

I was at a music quiz a couple of weeks ago and one of the questions was the year of release for Waltz For Debby. I'm just curious if the right answer is 61 or 62 :)

Yesternow likes this.
  2. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Looks like 61 from that record photo, na mean? Sounds like a hardcore and fun music quiz!

Yesternow likes this.
  3. Mugrug12

It's July! Who can believe it? I just looked and it says "best composition" for a topic. My vote is also a question....

My favorite original is Nardis, but I've seen it attritubed to miles Davis. It's truly Bill Evans pen though, am I wrong??

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Nardis" was by Miles from what I remember.

For Bill's tunes I'll go with "The Two Lonely People."

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Their official answer was most likely 1961 because those folks are not into such arcana

6. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

(July - best composition)

To my ears Bill Evans is the best. It's a cliché, but when I listen to him I'm not hearing just piano. It's truly a voice.

His extreme sensibility is also present in his compositions. Beautiful, that's the word I have for his songs.

"RE person I knew" - is one of my favorites.
    But if I have to pick just one, then it's the sublime "Time Remembered"

frightwigwam, GuinnessDan and jkauff like this.
  7. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

There have been countless thousands of pianists. But not one could touch a piano the way Bill Evans did. That is because those fingers were an extension of his voice, his soul.

GuinnessDan, Yesternow and jkauff like this.
  8. Yesternow

Would you vote "Blue in Green" as one of Bill Evans best compositions ? Or one of Miles Davis's?

"...In his autobiography, Davis maintains that he alone composed the songs on Kind of Blue.

The version on Bill Evans trio album Portrait In Jazz (Riverside, 1959), credits the tune to 'Davis-Evans'.

A comment by Evans: "One day at Miles's apartment, he wrote on some manuscript paper the symbols for G-minor and A-augmented. And Miles said, 'What would you do with that?' I didn't really know, but I went home and wrote 'Blue in Green.'" In a 1978 radio interview, Evans said that he himself had written the song. Evans said "The truth is I did (write the music)...... I don't want to make a federal case out of it, the music exists, and Miles is getting the royalties." Either way, for all of us, it's a beautiful tune and we're honored to present it.

Bill Evans drummer Marty Morell: Bill told me personally, Miles gave him the first 2 chords. Bill came up with the rest of the changes and wrote the melody.

Son Evan Evans: Bill Evans composed "Blue In Green" at 5am the night before the recording session, at Earl Zindar's apartment on his upright piano." Later confirmed by an interview with Bill's friend and composer Earl Zindar."

[​IMG]

(Taken from Bill Evans .nl site)

Tlay, MikeManaic61, smilin ed and 4 others like this.
  9. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Though a shorter/early version, Waltz was on New Jazz Conceptions released in ‘57, so that might have been the answer - unless they only gave you the two choices.

10. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Evans has said that he composed it when he was 24, just went out of army.

11. ~dave~~wave~

~dave~~wave~ Forum Resident

Can anything beat this as a cheap instant Evans collection?
    12 albums on 6 CDs, almost 8 hours, for $15 new on Amazon?

Got mine yesterday, working my way through it, starting with the Scott LaFaro material.
    :cheers:

Bill Evans - 12 Classic Albums 1956-1962

[​IMG]

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

This wins it for me. His solo on Rosie is one of the best I've heard

13. Yesternow

“And while it is also clear – given the extreme suffering he experienced in his drug abuse – that through his sublime art he allowed us to experience this suffering as victory for beauty, for marvelous sensuality and the fundamental tragedy of life – without which life would be absurd.”
    guitarist/composer John McLaughlin

[​IMG]
    Bill Evans, 1980

14. Alpha Omega

Alpha Omega Well-Known Member

"When you beat on your own soul, all souls cry out"

15. Alpha Omega

Last video of BE is the Merv Griffin show. Taped in LA, August 23rd. "Your Story".

Tribute and Yesternow like this.
  16. Alpha Omega

Photo by Leon Terjanian.

Yesternow likes this.
  17. Goggen

Goggen Forum Resident

Thanks for replies. The question was when the Waltz For Debby album was released. They used/presented the albumcover and asked when it was released. :)

18. Alpha Omega

Wow! Wonder how this happened. I am excited to see Bill's influence spreading. Go Bill Go!

19. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

EU copyright laws. They’ve probably taken previous CD releases and mucked with them a bit.

20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

21. Yesternow

So here we are - August 2018.
    In a way we're paying tribute to Bill just by talking about the man and his music.

But I ask you - is there any tribute album, book, ... that you find relevant ?

Here's a chronological list of Bill Evans tribute albums taken from wikipedia:

22. JackS

JackS Then Play On

A well done movie on Bill Evan's life is available on Amazon Prime.

Mugrug12, ~dave~~wave~ and Yesternow like this.
  23. Mugrug12

I'm not sure I've heard a tribute album, but I've always loved this cover of time remembered by Joey calderazo. I kinda like it better than any of bills versions I have! Amazing bass solo by John Pattatuci also...

Yesternow likes this.
  24. Yesternow

Herbie Hancock:
    "Of all the pianists who have influenced my playing, Bill leads the pack as far as the quality and the amount of influence. I've always been influenced by harmony and touch. Bill was a master of both. The first time I heard him was on Kind of Blue with Miles - the whole concept of modal playing began with that piece. Aside from Miles, it was Bill who utilized the modal approach the most. I had been listening to Oscar Peterson, Horace Silver, and all, but I never heard anyone play like Bill before. He knocked me out - I loved it!"
    [​IMG]

ohnothimagen and teag like this.
  25. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The link to this essay was posted in the Listening to Jazz & Conversation thread but I didn't see it here. While I know there's some crossover in terms of posters in each of these threads, it's so good it should be posted here. The writer uses the backstory on the composition of Nardis as a springboard into delving deep into aspects of Evans' life:

https://believermag.com/broken-time/