The BILL EVANS thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Yesternow, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I believe (but not certain) that Friday and Saturday had third sets,

yasujiro likes this.
  2. Yesternow

Yesternow Forum pResident Thread Starter

I have the Last Waltz set and, obviously, love the music.
    So I really hope those news are true and that the sound quality is good and the price is low.
    Price - the main reason why I don't have consecration.

PS: a quick search on the web and couldn't find anything about the "new" set.

3. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It's published 2002.

4. Yesternow

&$#%%@, thought they were going to re-release the set. I was even searching Amazon to order it.

My Japanese is rusted :nyah:

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Seriously speaking, if the Boxes are reissued from Fantasy/Milestone, the mastering is most likely brickwalled.
    The best and only way to get a 'right' mastering' is to get the 1989 Conseration box.

Topaz123 and Yesternow like this.
  6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I found that only four BE albums in trio setting were issued from 1970's (1970 through 1979).
    Montreux ll, The Bill Evans Album, Live in Tokyo and Since We Met. The studio album is just one!

7. Yesternow

October.
    National holiday in Portugal today, and tomorrow Saturday. That means I'll be able to enjoy some Bill Evans tonight quietly and relaxed.
    I've been planning to listen to this one:
    [​IMG]
    Will listen online first... Impossible to buy everything that comes out. Fortunately, for us fans, a lot of new stuff has come out in recent years.

But I wanted to ask you something...
    Who do you think has followed his footsteps ?! Who plays closer to his style ? And is that a coincidence or is it done as just a copy ?

It can be our October theme:
    "Bill Evans followers"

I remember reading (years ago) something about a new guy called Brad Meldhau. The review said he was the new Bill Evans.
    Well, I liked his album, but... It's not a Bill Evans to me.
    And that has happened more times since.

@Six String wrote something on a B.E
    post saying his music had beauty and pain. I guess that's what is missing on other players: that inner pain and the beautiful way he described that pain.

scottpaul_iu likes this.
  8. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Michel Petrucciani. It's definitely not coincidence, he acknowledges Evans' influence, but MP has a distinctive style.

9. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

I haven't seen this one before. Some prep behind the scenes, then some music with Eddie Gomez and Alex Riel.

Yesternow likes this.
  10. frightwigwam

I've read that Bill was a great fan of Warren Bernhardt, and was particularly taken with his Floating album. I'm only slightly familiar with him, though. Any thoughts on Warren? Is his music similar to Bill's?

11. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Wow that is crazy!! Definitely true? So all the 70s trio stuff was after he died? What about you must believe in spring?

Yesternow likes this.
  12. frightwigwam

You Must Believe in Spring was recorded in 1977, but for some reason Warner Bros. held it back until 1981.

The presciently titled I Will Say Goodbye came out in January 1980 according to RYM, or May 1979 per the AMG, the last of his trio albums released in his lifetime. His two duet recordings with Eddie Gomez, Intuition and Montreux III also came out in the ‘70s.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

In the 70’s, jazz records of piano trio with bass and drums were not well sold, especially in the US.

In 1980, the year when Bill died, just one record of him, I Will Say Goodbye, was issued - Nothing else.
    Evans’ popularity was not that big at the time.

14. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I believe the former is correct. I’m pretty sure the Japan pressing was issued in 1980.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

In the fall of 1980, his live recording (of the year) at Vanguard was scheduled to be issued as a two-fer record but it was turned down.

16. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Warner Bros. recorded the 95 takes in the four days. Turn Out The Stars contains the 58 selections.
    The original producer of the live recordings was Helen Keen. She was not involved the box issued in 1996 as she died in the same year.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It was a sudden death, and I guess no label decided to rush out an album in the three months remaining in 1980 after he passed. You Must Believe... and various other archival releases started appearing in 1981.

18. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Even in 1981, there were only two discs issued; You Must Believe in Spring from WB and Re: Person I Knew from Fantasy.
    I guess it was the turning point that You Must Believe in Spring enjoyed good sales in 1981.

19. jazz_case

jazz_case Forum Resident

teag, Yesternow and scottschecter like this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

:help:
    I don’t have my vinyl copy of You Must Believe in Spring in front of me now. The CD liner says “Additional remix and editing on ‘You must believe in spring’ : Frank Laico”.
    Is it also written on the liner of the vinyl? Thanks.

22. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Found my copy.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Correct. The flyer mentioned them.

24. Yesternow

@yasujiro,
    You seem like the perfect person to solve this mystery once and for all.
    The correct track set list of the keystone shows, and where those tracks can be found (last waltz, consecration...)

We trust you with this hard task :)

25. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I wish I could. But the more you search, the more labyrinth it becomes.
    As they are a private recording, only Todd Barkan could solve the mystery.

Yesternow likes this.