The Blacklist with James Spader

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by The Panda, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I thought a nice way they could have wrapped up that plot-line would be to have some government agency hire him.

misterdecibel likes this.
  2. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Except he actually killed at least one person that we know of, and assaulted others, not to mention causing the widespread power outage that probably injured or killed innocent bystanders.

3. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I didn't think that would be an obstacle for employment with a covert government agancy. His crime spree demonstrated initiative and advanced technical abilty.

Atmospheric likes this.
  4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

and advanced Project Management skills.

Atmospheric likes this.
  5. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

... and excellent time managment and muti-tasking skills. On the other hand, his 'people skills' might need a bit of work.

6. The Panda

yea, but a good resume will hide that

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And shockingly good IT skills under severe pressure. And amazing internet speed, even when all the cell towers were down.

nbakid2000 likes this.
  8. The Panda

Thread is coming off the rails..............:biglaugh:

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Except he killed that guy in the car that flipped over. Technically, he's guilty of murder by remote control. Also, he's a weird, twisted, stalker teen, and that alone is grounds for sending him to the bottom of a deep pit. My point was that it's interesting that they didn't even mention what happened to him. I think anybody who took down the entire electrical grid of Washington, D.C. would be considered a terrorist and would be put so deep into a jail cell for all eternity, it might as well be on Mars.

10. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I too noticed that they never mentioned what happened to him. After that blackout of Washington, D.C., with all communications down - something that I imagine would in real life trigger an emergency response like nowhere else and - regardless of the death of the man in the car and the subway crash - would result in a serious prison term. Got me to thinking it would have suited the context of the series to find out he [computer genius and weird, twisted, stalker teen"] was not charged and imprisoned, but instead was subsequently enlisted to work for some covert government agency.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  11. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Far too often, dramatic serialized shows like this tend to drop loose plot threads that explain what happened to people like this. It's puzzling, because one :30-second conversation would solve the problem. "What's gonna happen to the kid?" "That's up to the blah-blah agency. They're having the hearing next week, and I suspect he's going to have at least ten years to think about what he's done, with good behavior."

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Hey, that 30 seconds is time to squeeze in another commercial!

groundharp and Vidiot like this.
  13. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

There are a lot of shows that never explain what happens to the criminals that are caught. Bones for instance never tells you, they catch the criminal and that's it, but it makes sense because at that point it becomes part of the court system and the investigators are off to the next case.

14. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

This show isn't a procedural, I don't see any need for this kind of follow-up, beyond the apprehension of the villain of the week.

15. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Eh, it's another loose plot thread. But I agree, it's not a pivotal detail... and yet it could've been handled very quickly, as I said. It is a procedural in that it's about an FBI group investigating crimes and criminals, aided by one of the world's biggest criminals.

I've worked on a few detective-type shows before where I asked, "hey, whatever happened to <omitted plot detail>," and the post producer usually shrugs and says, "yeah, we covered that in the initial edit, but we had to lose two minutes to make our time slot, so that's on the cutting-room floor."

16. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Well done episode last night. Much better than last week's.

17. The Panda

Yea, I agree. I was unsure about what the brother would do, but it didn't really surprise me. Nor did it surprise Red, apparently.
    Spaders's dialogue with the guy in South America was pretty funny.

18. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I think at this point Spader is playing it for laughs. Whether or not that is the director's intent...

19. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

I'm thinking not.

20. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I don't think Spader's performance has changed any since the pilot episode. I think he approaches this as a silly bit of fluff that he is paid a ridiculously high amount of money for. He's probably enjoying this very "gravy" role that allows him to just be as quirky as he wants to be with minimal effort. He could do this part in his sleep.

mrjinks and Vidiot like this.
  21. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Loved his response after the brother did you know what....

22. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

God, I miss Bob Ross, and his happy tree's and
    the way he could create a landscape just with palate
    knife . I was rolling Spaders with dialogue.

nbakid2000 and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  23. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Red (to Dembe): "...grab the pretzels."

kevywevy and progrocker71 like this.
  24. The Panda

anyone else think of "take the cannoli's"?

25. cwsiggy

cwsiggy Forum Resident

Or Pesci's "Make that coffee to go" in Goodfellas.