The Bob Seger Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jul 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Getting excited here for Thursday night's show in Toledo to kick off another tour. Also getting excited for the show at DTE (Pine Knob) in a couple of weeks, too ... finally my chance to see Bob on his home turf in a venue he frequently played through out the years.

clhboa and jdrueke like this.
  2. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I have the darker blue label variant. It's in storage at the other house, I'll bring it back with me next trip.

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  3. RandelPink

RandelPink The camel wore a nightie

Anxiously awaiting the rescheduled dates for 2018, also we should bump this thread with a review of his latest album 'I Knew You When'.

Side note, finally snagged a stellar (Ex-) Brand New Morning. Although it did set me back almost $170...

Benno123 and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I snagged a Noah and Brand New Morning in the spring. The dealer made me a deal for $150 for both, but had been marked $100 each. Noah is near mint - listened once and probably won’t again, except to hear the Bob songs. Brand New Morning looked very good but plays almost excellent, little to no surface noise, pops, etc. Except for maybe one missing album on vinyl I have all my Seger albums on vinyl.

RandelPink, Hep Alien, JamieC and 2 others like this.
  5. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I have all the Seger albums now thanks to some discussions with @dmiller458.
    I was really pleasantly surprised with the early stuff and very much enjoyed it. Thanks mate!

dmiller458 likes this.
  6. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

LIVE BULLET

THIS is the album that got me into Bob Seger And The Silver Bullet Band

One of my favorite live albums of the 70's without a doubt

Bob Seger and the Silver Bullets are a great, great band

superstar19, JamieC and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I agree

Night Moves is a great great album

And the song?

One of my favorites EVER!

8. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Stranger In Town

Another Great Seger & The Bullets album

Hollywood Nights like others have said, I never tire of listening to this song..it's just freaking great!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

Against The Wind

Damn, I love the album

Her Strut is my ring tone right now...I love the tune

While ATW is Not NM or SIT, it holds up well and I can get me enough of Bob Seger

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I agree

NINE TONIGHT is no "Live Bullet"

Just doesn't have the vibe that all the GREAT live albums have

Fail!

11. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

I agree

THE DISTANCE

This album never grabbed me like the previous 3 studio albums but it's a solid effort

Roll Me Away is the obvious standout track with Even Now a close second

LIKE A ROCK

An album IMO is almost like the previous one

Although I do like more than a few songs

And "Fortunate Son" is just plain AWESOMENESS!

teodoro and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. Tree of Life

Tree of Life Hysteria

The Fire Inside

The beginning of the end IMO

It's A Mystery

This album confirmed my previous thought

Face The Promise

I had High Hopes for it going into it and reading about it

No Dice!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. mark winstanley

when I was a young fella, my Dad said to me "I just bought this great Bob Seger live album" and I was like "oh cool" with an invisible roll of the eyes. I didn't know who Bob Seger was, and all that was coming to mind was Pete Seger, who is fine, but not exactly what a hyperactive twelve year old will want to get into.
    Anyway he puts on "Nine Tonight" and expecting some sad lonesome sounding folky dude singing about the atrocities of the world, I'm just giving respect and ear service. I hear the crowd and think wow, they are kind of excited about some folk dude. Then the title track kicks in and my ears prick up .... "what is this?"
    I ended up loving the album and have always had a copy. I then fell in love with the (then) recently released "The Distance", still probably my favourite Seger album. I bought Against the wind, when it came out on cd later in the eighties, and I loved that also ... But it wasn't until recently that I got the rest of the collection and I know some folks think it was all over after Live Bullet, but I just think it's an awesome catalog of great rock music ... I don't know if folks classify it as the mid west sound or what, but it is just great rock music, before and after bullet.
    I enjoyed Brand New Day, although some folks have said it was weak, I enjoyed it. Bob Seger system is great stuff, with touches of that psychedelic sixties thing floating in and out of it. Mongrel, Back in 72, and seven are all great rock albums.
    Beautiful Loser is perhaps the catalyst as it is where, it seems to me, the popular Seger sound started... And from Beautiful Loser all the way to the distance there is a consistency and song writing prowess that probably gives those albums the edge over the earlier stuff ... Although the earlier stuff was more edgy .. if that translates to you guys.
    I think Like a rock is very good, but the start of a slight downturn. I loved the title track and American Storm, but a few tracks started to lull a little for me. Fire inside is good, but whether because I haven't spun it a lot, or whether just a sign of the times it was recorded, it just seemed to have a little less spark. To me those post Bullet, Pre Like a Rock albums, although containing ballads and love songs, they still had an earthy spark and as with a lot of seventies stars, the eighties seemed to rip the guts out of them and a sort of generic thing happened...
    Whether it's nostalgia or whatever, I have enjoyed the latest albums a lot upon listening to them... I haven't been able to give them enough rotations to start breaking them down, because in my old age I buy too much which leaves me less time to immerse myself into stuff... It's a strange thing ... but anyhow, Seger sits up with my favourits artists and I love that he can still get a crowd, even if that beautiful rock voice has lost some of its sparkle.

14. mark winstanley

perhaps because it was the first Seger album I heard, i love Nine tonight. I love Bullet also, and rate them both as classic live albums of the seventies.

Pete Puma likes this.
  15. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Out of all the acts I have seen in concert Bob Seger has been the one that I can saw, without a doubt, that he was having fun on stage. The first time I saw him was in Toledo in 2013 on opening night and he just radiated someone having a great time. It was such a great show I had to go back to the second show where he seemed to be enjoying himself just as much if not more than a couple of nights before!

16. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Stranger In Town and Against The Wind were the must-have standard albums to have when I was growing up. I never met a Seger System, Last Heard or Silver Bullet recording I didn't like at least a little; very high batting average! :agree:

No, one exception; The Yellow Beret thing is just a dated oddity of the times, but those other Parkway/Cameo sides are kick butt.

RandelPink and JamieC like this.
  17. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

For those unfamiliar with his earliest work, Mongrel will be a real eye opener.

18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Played earlier today. I like this album despite Bob's opinion of it.
    [​IMG]

19. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Current spin. I really like this one.
    [​IMG]

superstar19 and teodoro like this.
  20. teodoro

teodoro Forum Resident

I really love "Take a chance" and the fact that it opens the album as if it would be a really rocking record (which of course it's not!)

Sean likes this.
  21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

He is daring his listeners to take a chance with this record.

22. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Found both of my Canadian copies of Noah and Brand New Morning in the same store, at the same time, in the same condition (VG++ ish) for the same price (40 CDN each) about 6 years ago. Have never seen them since and cherish them both (Noah obviously is a flawed album, while I would argue Brand New Morning is a minor masterpiece).

My copy of Back in '72 was 7 or 8 dollars back in the late 2000's but i've seen it go for 65-100 these days

RandelPink and Benno123 like this.
  23. jrdiandrea

jrdiandrea Forum Resident

Derek Gee, Hep Alien and RandelPink like this.
  24. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

One of the forum members here contacted me about a copy of their Back in 72 in VG++ sleeve and NM vinyl, promo copy. I jumped on it. It was one of the main reasons why I got a turntable last fall, to get all of Bob on vinyl!!

jdrueke, RandelPink and JamieC like this.
  25. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Cheers to that :)

Benno123 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.