The Bridge

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by hbbfam, Jul 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, Elanor is extremely creepy and dangerous. That boy she was with was EXTREMELY stupid.

They seem to have dropped the Charlotte/Ray plot entirely...

2. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

Holy moly, John F**king Cale this week! When I saw his name in the opening credits, I assumed I must be hallucinating, but there he was, big as life.

(And yes, Eleanor Nacht = creepiest character in creepydom.)

3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Thought the opening segment tonight with the reporter and his sponsor (Kevin from "The Office") doing cocaine and rocking out to Rush's "The Spirit Of Radio" was pretty funny. I liked the part a week or so ago when the reporter was busting his balls over the Rush t-shirt.

yesstiles and bababooey like this.
  4. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

Yes, a pretty nice system that Daniel Frye has.

I wonder how many cops Ted Levine has to play before I stop thinking of him as Buffalo Bill?

Chad

5. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

:laugh::agree:

clayton likes this.
  6. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Deesky likes this.
  7. shokhead

So am I and the last one had a lot of stuff happening. Can't wait for the next!

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Put me down as a fan also. The last two episodes have been excellent.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Kind of quiet in this thread...Too bad...I think this is one of the best things on right now...

Good season...last episode just aired tonight...

Looks like the ratings aren't so hot, but FX hasn't yet announced a renewal or cancellation...

10. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Realistically, given the ratings, I can't see this going beyond a third year, but I do hope they get that third season to introduce a new story line and then wrap the series. I thought the second season was very strong, better than the first.

11. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

Best show on television; I hope it ends there though. They tinkered with it as this season went along and I would be altogether concerned what permanent changes they would make to bring in a larger audience.

As an aside, the direction in 2nd to last episode was atrocious. The show's tone is dark, sparse and menacing. "Quetzalcoatl" and specifically Jakob Verbruggen's direction was Tarantino light: hammy, over the top and brought entirely too much attention to itself. It stands in stark contrast to all the other episodes.

12. shokhead

A few to many different things going on.

13. badfinger54

badfinger54 Senior Member

I looked forward to each week's episode more than any other current show (we don't get HBO, Showtime, Netflix...).

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I don't think there are too many things going on. But I do think some stories simply didn't wrapped up without sufficient payoff to justify the time spent on them. The odd guy saving the Mexican girls, for example. The widow rancher and her con boyfriend. Or maybe even the reporters--although they were good for the occasional gallows humor.

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

We know Charlotte died, but do we know what happened to Ray? I don't remember seeing his body and I don't think he was at the model home. Maybe he wised up and ran off to Alaska like he wanted to do earlier.

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Ray appears to have left town off camera. They set up Charlotte/Ray with a lot of screen time in Season 1, but seemed to burn them off without much care in Season 2.

17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I think that was the problem in the early part of the season - I felt somewhat disoriented. This may have been the main cause why people new to the show, or even just casual watchers, abandoned it. Which is unfortunate because the show really did hit its straps from somewhere near the season mid-point and proceeded to knock it out of the park.

18. Craig

Craig (unspecified) Staff

I hope it gets renewed. If not then maybe a spin-off series about Eleanor in prison.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I'd like to see more Sonya & Marco interaction, ie, where they work together most of the time (rather than apart). And I would also like to see Sonya's autistic characteristics feature more prominently as they did in season 1. In season 2, her social quirks and edges seemed to have been smoothed out too much. Diane Kruger is a good actress and can handle subtle, atypical social responses borne from her character's condition.

yesstiles likes this.
  20. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident Thread Starter

I agree. Those tendencies added some dimension to her character that set her apart from the typical TV cop. Those "quirks" were much less apparent this season.

21. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm glad this season is over. I liked it at the start but it got more and more ridiculous and the last few were definitely not up to the earlier ones. I do hope it comes back.

22. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I though the 2nd half of the season was excellent, however, I found the final ep disappointing. I think it's partly due to the unknown status for renewal and partly down to what the execs wanted. It felt like there was checklist of stuff to tie up, which was done underwhelmingly, while leaving some things open ended for a possible third season. Pity it wasn't a stronger finale.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Yes, I agree, I was thinking the same thing. In the first season, she definitely acted as a fish out of water in many interactions that required social skills. In season 2, outside of the odd way she "seduced" the brother of her sister's murderer, and a bit too much inflexibility in certain procedural issues, there wasn't too much along these lines...

24. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I thought the whole third act was hard to swallow for a number of reasons. Too much contrived coincidence and macho unlikeliness. I was disappointed this season. Wouldn't disappoint me too much if it didn't come back if it's going to be another season like this one.

25. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Pretty wild finale , the
    final scene was killer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.