"The Burbs" is such an underrated movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by jason88cubs, Jul 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Now they know that we know that they know

ianuaditis and Encuentro like this.
  2. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Ginger Ale likes this.
  3. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

"You want to go down to the deli and get one of those beef sandwiches?"

4. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

I always thought that Wes Cravens 'The People Under The Stairs' was a slightly more scary version of 'The Burbs'.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well this thread made me revisit my BD! still love it.

6. Michael

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Mugrug12

They're sister movies. These things come in pairs like leviathan and deep star six. Goonies and stand by me. Gremlins and Critters. Buckeroo banzai and innerspace
    Terminator and starman. Armageddon and that other one.
    I'm pretty sure hand that rocks the cradle had one too? Was Annabella schioria in that? I'm a fan of hers.
    [this was a terrible post I'm sorry]

BLUESJAZZMAN likes this.
  8. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

I saw this wonderful film in the theater. Love everything about this movie. Tom Hanks and Bruce Dern. Nothing more to say....cept for....sardine?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Even Feldman? :laugh:

10. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

What is wrong with Feldman? I love his stuff especially when younger. Goonies, Friday pt 4, Stand By Me...etc. he is great in this...especially noticing a fne work of art gardening.

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  11. Mugrug12

He's kinda the audience proxy in this one, knowhatamean?

genesim likes this.
  12. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I agree. Corey Feldman is wonderful in this. He has a very good string of 80s movies under his belt. What's not to like about Corey Feldman?

Matthew Tate, genesim and Michael like this.
  13. Oatsdad

Oh, that was a joke - well, a half-joke, at least. Feldman has turned into such an obnoxious jerk over the years that it's hard to remember him circa 30 years ago.

Feldman was actually a pretty good child actor - he did well in stuff like "Gremlins" and "Stand By Me".

I thought he was annoying in "'Burbs", but he has a small enough role that he's not a major impediment.

1988-89 was right around the time he went from "talented child actor" to "egotistical prick", though. Listen to the commentary for "Goonies" and it seems clear the other actors can't stand him.

On the "'Burbs" BD, there are multiple stories about how Feldman was starting to spiral at that time...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Michael

yes, he was...BUT it's cool to put down Feldman...didn't you know that?...just like it is to put down Cage, Cruise, Reeves, etc...it's like The I wanna be cool club so I'll say S*** about those guys...just peruse the web-the hate is all around...LOL...I dig and watch their movies whenever a new one pops up...if not, I'll dig in the collection when the mood strikes me......

Encuentro and genesim like this.
  15. Michael

nothing...he's all good.: )

Al Kuenster and Encuentro like this.
  16. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

To any owners of the Collector's Edition:

Should I upgrade from my barebones BD?

17. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was this made before or after "The Man With One Red Shoe"?
    I only ask 'coz Carrie was in that one, too....
    While it may not 'hold up' as well, I always thought "Man With..." had a unique soundtrack.

18. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

From what I have read, get the Arrow version over Shout Factory.

Oatsdad,
    Trust the art, not the artist....that and walk a mile in his shoes. Feldman has been through a few issues like lots of child actors.

P.s. I never understood the point in bombing a particular movie appreciation thread? You don't like it...yup got it. Now how about adding to the thread? Not trying to be mean, but just saying.

Michael likes this.
  19. The Hud

I don't have the ability to play Region B discs, unfortunately. Plus, the Arrow is OOP and quite pricy.

20. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

Yeah that sucks. Good releases go fast.

Btw I highly suggest a multiregion player. Way more choices for a film buff. Well worth it and save money.

21. The Hud

Yeah, I really want a multiregion player. I guess there is a simple mod kit for my Oppo UHD BD player that I should invest in.

22. Michael

yea, crazy!

23. Oatsdad

Perhaps, but even if I ignore my dislike for the guy, his "art" hasn't been any good for decades. Feldman's career fell off the face of the earth around 1990-91 or so - it's not like he's churned out high-quality work and deserves great respect for his "art" in spite of his personal behavior...

"Appreciation threads" need to be clearly marked as such - those are off-limits to disagreement, essentially.

Anything that says "this movie is underrated" leaves itself open to dissenting opinions...

The Hud likes this.
  24. genesim

genesim Forum Resident

So? Is there some requirement? As stated, he has been through personal anguish.

Saying a movie is underrated is an appreciation. Not seeing your point with this or the action.

I don't enter into a discussion to purposely say something sucks. At least I try not to. Each to his own.

Matthew Tate and Michael like this.
  25. I agree. If you say "this ______ is underrated" you are inviting comments on why it is rated fairly based on it's perceived lack of merits. If I'm wrong, please cue up a video of Everything is Awesome and I'll dance myself right out of this thread.

Regarding The Burbs, I thought it was a flawed but quirky movie that had some funny moments. I only watched it once and was never drawn to watch it again. I didn't hate it.

Oatsdad likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.