"The Capitol Disc Jockey Album". Anyone familiar with these?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dan C, Dec 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer Thread Starter

While thrift store hunting I came across dozens of these "Capitol Disc Jockey Album" LPs from the late 60s. They all feature a rather hot swingin' 60's chick on the cover and there appears to be an LP per month.
    I picked up March 1967, mostly because it looked to be the most playable (Wyoming DJs must have been pretty ham-fisted! :p ).
    So the gimmick here seems to be that a jockey can play a whole side and get a 15 minute bathroom break or something.

The back boasts:
    "The tracks in this specially prepared album have been ARRANGED IN A SEQUENCE (emphasis theirs) which enable you to program the selections ONE AFTER THE OTHER in the order produced on this LP. In other words, INSTANT PROGRAMMING..."

It's mastered in "Quick-Q" :laugh: , only one second between tracks. And in several places the jacket notes that it's "balanced for broadcast".

The selections on this LP aren't my cup of tea. I'm sorry if there are any Sandler & Young fans here but this is pretty hard stuff to listen to. Other LPs had some Nat King Cole though.

Anyway, it's fun curiosity.

In the same boxes I found some great Duke Ellington Columbia 'white label' 6-eye promos in good shape.

Dan C

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Capitol was the first record company to have a "Special Markets" department. They mainly did stuff like this, starting in the early 1950's.

The rare "Stars In Stereo" and a bunch of other DJ only series are pretty neat. Of course, some unique mixes exist on these SM albums, and here only. Since they dumped all their files on this stuff years ago, it's impossible to figure out what was released where.... One rare Beach Boys thing somewhere on one of these though....

3. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

On a somewhat related note, I came across a Capitol promo 45 a couple of years ago called "A Thinking Man's Platter". One-sided with a yellow label. It was to promote some kind of LP subscription program (I think) for DJ's. Not sure when it was made, but I would guess it's from sometime between 1959-61 (maybe '62) since the announcer mentions some of their artists names such as Sinatra and Nat Cole, but doesn't mention the Beatles or The Beach Boys, and he also mentions that the LP's are available in mono or stereo. I think the price was $120 a month for mono LP's and $150 for stereo.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I found one locally. That's right - Quick-Q!

They're neat, but nothing I was interested in...

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Agreed. I have several kicking around, but based in MOR-mainstream pop and lite jazz, must have been meant(at least the '68 titles I have)for FM; otherwise, like older Cap promos, would have been mono, not stereo, and the Quik-Q nonsense...I don't get it. For those of you who missed the radio years, the idea of Quik-Q was simply to be able to let the tone arm go as you stopped talking(for smooth transition...at least that had to have been Capitol's idea). But who wanted to play most of this? At random, I just pulled September 1968; white label, black lettering, green cap/promo logo. Only Nancy Wilson matters here, good but not near her best....

And yeah, typical BW photo w/chick posed with car. "The Capitol Disc Jockey Album." Also, "This is a promotional record. It is not for sale."
    By this time, nobody would have bought it if it were legal.

Best thing about the Lp: the Lotus Elite on the cover. Nice body, if you get my drift.

ED:cool:

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

One of my favorites was the 1979~1981 Mercury In-Store-Play LP that was cut "backwards". You start the record from the inside, and plays outside, like some V-Discs did in the 40's. Had John Cougar and the Scorpions.

Pitty, it sounded like dog do-doo. It was the only copy of "I Need A Lover" I had for a while.

7. Dan C

Yeah, the photos on the jackets are pretty fun. The girls back then were all natural! :)

Rather, um, uninspiring music to say the least, but I knew that when I bought it. A fun memento and the records were on sale for a dime each. :)

8. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

I've got a couple of those from 1969. That year, if you saved all 12 months' editions, you put them together and they formed one huge picture!

I think that one of the volumes I have contains a track from Mary Hopkin's Post Card album. One of them definitely contains "I Have Dreamed" by the Lettermen, a song I used to hear on my parents' favorite easy-listening station back then and a version I still enjoy to this day.

9. ascot

ascot Senior Member

Steve,

The Beach Boys song you mentioned might be "Auld Lang Syne". The booklet for their "Ultimate Christmas" CD says the song was issued without Dennis Wilson's spoken overdub on a Capitol promo LP in the mid-60's.

The rare mix was first issued commercially in 1983 on Rarities. It later appeared on the 1991 reissue of their Christmas CD.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Found another one this afternoon: August 1968. Has The Lettermen, Gleason, FUNNY GIRL OST, and two I've never heard of: GRASS, by Jackie & Roy[ST-2936]and THE SUGAR SHOPPE[ST-2959]. Probably sold about a dozen copies between 'em. But the cover...oh my my. The lady's a fox, clad in a bikini--she's probably over fifty by now and a grandma. But the wheels....shame it's a BW photo, but get this: Mercedes-Benz 300SL Gull Wing Coupe. Has a monster door that opens on the driver's side, flips right UP....WOW. The lady may age, but that Benz is timeless. To have one of those in the garage....

ED:cool:

11. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

The notes on the Rarities album said the same thing.

12. Dan C

Drooool. The Gull Wing is something you see in photos or hot car books but never in real life.

The jacket art certainly takes a cue from the Hugh Hefner school of the good life. :p But I bet Hef wouldn't be caught dead playing the music on my sample in his lovin' room!
    The "Sandler & Young" tracks make your local lounge lizard sound like a genius. "Hey, gray skies are gonna clear up! Put on a happy faaaace..." :hurl:
    I dunno who these guys had to kill to get a record contract.
    Dan C

13. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Ed, which song do The Lettermen do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.