The Capitol Records 75th Anniversary Collection – Vinyl Reissue Program

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Kevin55, Nov 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Of some discounted Crate and Barrel items from this, Fly Like an Eagle, Judy at Carnegie Hall and Surfer Girl had paper sleeves and had surface scratches. Didn't try to play any.

2. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Looks like this was such a waste $$$$ wise for UMe that they disbanded the program mid-way thru.

MLutthans likes this.
  3. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Sounds like UMe put the minimal amount of effort into this series and is charging $25 or so for these LPs. I bought Surfer Girl last year. It was pressed by Rainbo. Suffice it to say, I wasn't impressed.

Typical UMe.

Eigenvector likes this.
  4. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Saw this in the new release bin at my local shop today. I also mentioned it here:
    Any Apple Records collectors?*

5. Still no Meet the Beatles, I take it?

6. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I was just about to ask the same thing

7. Canoli

Canoli Forum Resident

Has anyone picked up the Gene Vincent and His Blue Caps reissue? Impressions?

8. Still no Meet the Beatles?

supermd and DK Pete like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Yeah, Stan Kenton would be pretty cool. He made some dynamite records with Capitol.

10. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

That's my question as well. I'm thinking/HOPING they may be holding off on it for eventual 180g re-issue of all the American albums with the unique so-called "mixes" and reverb wash.

11. My guess is that we will more likely see a vinyl release of the U.S. Albums set, which had almost all (but not every) of the unique U.S. mixes but used standard U.K. versions for the rest and did not slather them in reverb.

12. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

i doubt we will see that release. I think Apple's focus right now is remixes. It is such a niche audience who would that anway, especially after all the negative reception of the US Albums set. But I hope we AT LEAST get Meet the Beatles!/US Rubber Soul

DK Pete likes this.
  13. supermd

supermd Senior Member

All I want is Meet the Beatles. It's easily the most iconic of the American albums and it warrants a release on vinyl in today's world.

Besides, we didn't make up this list. Capitol did. We just want them to follow through.

14. I haven’t seen any indication that Apple’s focus is on remixes. Rather, it seems to be wishful thinking on the part of fans who have misinterpreted an offhand remark by Giles Martin. I think the Sht. Pepper remixes were a one-time deal and not part of a larger remix project.

15. Pretty.Odd.

Pretty.Odd. Guess I'm Dumb

I'm not voting for remixes, but its definitely where they will be headed. Making the music sound more 21st century

16. colgems1966

colgems1966 PhD in Les Pauls and Telecasters

I don't think remixing the Beatles is a good idea. I'm all for reissues that make their material more accessible especially the US albums since used is the only alternative right now for vinyl. But I am never for anything that alters the original presentation. That is revisionism.

McLover likes this.
  17. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I respectfully but adamantly disagree. I think Revolver, White and Abbey Road will all receive the remix treatment at some point. Not necessarily as part of a categorical "project"..but in time, individually.

18. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

Giles has said he wants to do a white album remix but it’s up to the four ... and Ringo and Paul are on record as loving the remix/remaster initiatives, with Ringo specifically stating he does want a white album remix.

19. No, that’s the misinterpretation of Giles’ comments that I alluded to above. What Giles said is simply that the White Album is the next album after Sgt. Pepper, which is a true statement. He did not say that the White Album will be the next album to be remixed, or that any albums will be remixed.

As far as Ringo, that’s another off the cuff remark that Beatles fandom has taken and run with it. There have been no statements from the label, official or otherwise, that there are any plans to remix the White Album or any other albums.

20. See here:

Giles Martin Backpedals On Beatles ‘White Album’ Announcement
    . . . and here:
    Clark, as you can see, what you wrote is misinformation—or misinterpretation—and is not borne out by what Giles actually said. Not to say I blame you for spreading it—a lot of Beatles fans have been. It’s a common misbelief based on an erroneous reading of Giles’ comments.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  21. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

Saw a bunch of the Crate & Barrel titles at the local record show yesterday. Most were ten bucks each. Megadeth and one other title were $15. No Beatles,no Sinatra,no Floyd,but the Judy/Carnegie Hall 2LP was there-ten bucks. I saw the Steve Miller,Bob Seger,Katy Perry,Robert Glasper,Beach Boys- Surfer Girl(no Pet Sounds)Band-Big Pink,Bonnie Raitt,Nick of Time,Glen Campbell,Clinton(with the Lenticular cover),Natalie Cole,Funny Girl OBC, and then my little brain went into overdrive and I had to move on,so please don't query about any more details. The vendor had original cartons under the tables and had multiple copies of whatever he had available. One wonders if these went into a surplus/closeout bidding process-that is how places like Ollie's Bargain Outlets get their stuff-and if they will show up elsewhere. All had Capitol 75 stickers on front and original Crate & Barrel stickers,along with a new UPC sticker,probably generated by Ume,on the back,over the shrink,outside-easily peelable.

22. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

FYI, the Judy, Steve, and surfer girl titles were scratched up when I got them from Crate & Barrel. Didn't try playing, just returned them.

23. So is this reissue campaign over? How many of the announced titles actually made it into print?

24. joshm2286

joshm2286 Forum Resident

For me this re-issue campaign has come to late. I already own albums I find interesting.

Megadeth- Peace Sells... but Who's Buying (1986 original) and 2008 re-issue.

Foo Fighters- Self Titled ( original 1995)

Frank Sinatra- Come Fly with Me (1960 UK mono)

Frank Sinatra- Come Fly with Me (1962 US stereo)

Pink Floyd- Dark side of the Moon (1974 Japanese w/ bio booklet)

I am happy with the versions I own. Sounds like if the albums are just restickered versions they are just previous masters of which most of us have heard. Some of these albums on the list are digitally sourced and suffer from over compression and being mastered too loud. I think I'll pass on this campaign. Neat to hear about and I'm sure some ppl will pick some of these up and enjoy them.

25. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Well we sure know that Meet The Beatles didn't :(

Billy Budapest likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.