The Cars, Chicago, and Motley Crue coming to DVD-Audio!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeithH, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now Thread Starter

According to ICE, Warner will be releasing The Cars debut album, Chicago II, Chicago V, and Motley Crue Greatest Hits on DVD-Audio in February. I'm definitely looking forward to these discs, especially The Cars debut. Here is a link:

http://www.icemagazine.com/daily/190/index.asp

2. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I will buy all 4 when they come out.

The Cars debut should sound spectacular on DVDA.

The Chicago titles will be more wait and see, guess their from the old quad tapes.

I wish they would just release Motley Crue's Dr. Feelgood but the Greatest Hits package will do. Hope its as decent as the Aerosmith Oh Yeah Collection.

3. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Wish they were SACDs like the Aerosmith disc.

4. Bobo U2

Bobo U2 Active Member

That maybe...but it will not be on SACD :eek:

5. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Did I hear right that PET SOUNDS has been pushed to May? If so, :(

ED:cool:

6. It might, but did you not mean DVD-A? :confused:

Great, that will be the fifth version of the first Cars album in the digitial domain. :rolleyes:
    1. standard 1980s CD
    2. Steve's DCC Gold
    3. HDCD remaster
    4. Rhino 2 CD deluxe edition with demos and rarities
    5. DVD-A

Just curious, has anyone compared the HDCD remaster to the Rhino version? Tx.

Attached Files:

7. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Actually, you omitted Steve's DCC gold disc of the Cars's debut.

8. :o :o :o :o :o :o My apologies, boss :love:

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

oops, your right, I meant DVDA. Even I get confused with all the formats.

10. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I noticed they also will be releasing Emmylou Harris's "Producer's Cut" DVD-Audio on the same day. That's the one I will be most interested to hear. It's a compilation made exclusively for DVD. The compilation is essentially a cross section of tracks from Harris' first eight or so solo albums that producer Brian Ahern thought would be particularly suitable for surround sound remixing.

Regards,

11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Chicago II sure seems like a strange thing to release as a DVD-A, at least in terms of sound quality. That's easily their worst-sounding set of recordings. Any word on if the multichannel mix will be a remix? I'm not that impressed with the Quad mix (still a strange sound, just different strange), and it has a lot of mix differences from the stereo - added guitar lines, etc.

12. I agree, Chicago II has sound problems. I wish that the first Chicago album, CTA, would be released on DVD-A. I still think that album is Chicago's best. High energy, non-commercial sound.

13. reidc

reidc Senior Member

Actually- All of the Chicago studio LP's had QUAD mixes done on them back in the '70's. That could be what will facilitate getting out multi's channels of them. I have II, VIII and IX in DTS format made from the quad's and the mixes ARE different. Notice I did not say better or worse- just different.

Guys here have commented on the quality of VII, and I think a few here have other releases.

Since I have made the decision and bought my SACD player- I long for them on SACD.

Chris

14. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I agree, I'm also interested in that one. I was wondering what album 'producers cut' was! I'm glad to hear it's an overview of her early lps. I hope Boulder to Birmingham is on it....I just love that track (actually, I really like Pieces of the sky as an album).

15. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I don't think II sounds good on vinyl in either format, but the quad 8 sounds fine to me. Very punchy and dynamic, except on the busiest tracks. If Rhino is releasing this it will be most certainly a remix from the multi's a la Brain Salad Surgery or Yes-Fragile.

16. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Here's the track list:

If I Could Only Win Your Love
    Boulder To Birmingham
    One Of These Days
    Too Far Gone
    Leaving Louisiana In The Broad Daylight
    Together Again
    Tulsa Queen
    Pancho And Lefty
    Spanish Johnny
    Beneath Still Waters
    Even Cowgirls Get The Blues
    The Last Cheater’s Waltz
    Sorrow In The Wind
    Old Rugged Cross

There's more info about it at Rhino's website here.

Regards,

17. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

cool, Ken! THANKS!!

18. danstone

danstone Senior Member

With the resolution of Dr. Feelgood being limited as an all-digital recording (although it's a great one, at least to my ears), I don't know if there will be much improvement in going to high resolution unfortunately. It will be interesting to see on the Greatest Hits DVD-A how the sound compares between the stuff originally recorded in analog and the stuff recorded in late-80's era digital.

19. Kym

Kym Former Resident

What I don't understand is that Motley Crue is being released on DVD-A. Didn't their contract with Elektra end, then they went to Beyond (which I hear is out of business), now their back catalog is getting re-released on Hip-O/Universal? If it's Universal now, shouldn't their stuff be coming out on SACD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.