The "CD's that sound like LP's" thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fjhuerta, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

I received yesterday a package of SACDs I had been expecting for quite a while. Eager to play them, I took out one of the hybrids, and played it on a CDP (no SACD - I had to disconnect mine for a while).

WOW. It immediately surprised me how "LP-like" it sounded. Incredibly dynamic, engaging, and smooth...

It was Isaac Hayes' "Hot Buttered Soul", by MoFi.

Steve's "The Cars" CD also sounds as smooth and sweet as vinyl.

Which other CD's can you think of that sound like LP's?

2. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

One way I make certain that my system is "balanced" in terms of tone between CD and vinyl playback is by comparing the CD of DCC's Hotel California with the LP. Doing this, I can definitely hear the result of changes in interconnects and components. The fact that the CD and LP are basically the same in terms of tone--but still with the other noted differences in CD vs. LP playback--allows me to do this. So I would say this CD definitely sounds like the LP--within the above parameters.

John K.

3. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

"Meaty, Beaty, Big and Bouncy"

Just got it. It sounds out of this world. Boris The Spider even SCARED my wife. A real gem...thanks SH.

4. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

Recent SACD hybrids that I've picked up that totally kick @ss:

Patricia Barber-Modern Cool, MFSL

Norah Jones-Come Away With Me, Bluenote

Both of these are terrific quality recordings, redbook only as I don't have an SACD capable player. BTW, the Norah Jones SACD hybrid was cheaper than the standard redbook version.

Jet

5. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

"Workingman's Dead" from the early 90's was the first CD that sounded good to me.

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

To me that's the magic of Mofis and DCCs.

7. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I had the first 3 Deep Purple titles actually sound like LP's with scratches and everything. This wasn't a good thing.
    Creative Sounds put these out in the early 90's. They burned the LP's onto CD from a not so good source.

8. sgb

sgb Senior Member

Interesting! It has been my experience that my phono stage presents a radically different sound when comparing my copies of the DCC versions of Love Is The Thing on both LP and CD. In fact, it would be my guess that my turntable and SACD player present very different sound stages, dynamics and tonal balance regardless of recording; the LP generally seems more open and transparent, but the CD is often likely to be more dynamic and detailed.

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I thought the SACD of "Take Five" sounded warm and very vinyl like. Also the SACD's of Blood Sweat & Tears "Greatest Hits" and Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde." Some of the Stones SACD's "Let it Bleed," "Beggars" and some of the earlier ones like "Out of Our Heads."

10. fjhuerta

Joe, are you talking about the CD or SACD layer? Sorry for the confusion - I meant CD's (or the CD layer of a SACD). To my ears, at least, SACDs have a huge advantage over CDs; that's why I'm limiting the discussion to CDs.

11. Joe Koz

Sorry, I'm talking SACD! I'm sure the redbook layer of a SACD is close to the SACD layer. Maybe not in detail, but probably in the feel of the CD or I should say the music. Just a thought.

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Try to keep this thread bumped up. I mustr go soon, but I wanna give my list and don't want to forget!

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Amazing Rhythm Aces CCM reissues are very analog-like in sound quality although nothing special, same with the Burl Ives Collectables reissues of the 2 Wayfaring Stranger albums originally on Columbia

14. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

James Taylor (Classics) - Lee Herschberg remaster - Phenomenal
    DCC - Both Joni Mitchell CD's Steve Hoffman remaster
    MFSL - Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman

to name a few....

15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Billy Joe Royal Collectables twofer

16. fjhuerta

I think The Cure's "Acoustic Hits" CD (the one that came as a bonus disc with the "Greatest Hits" compilation) sounds amazingly analogue, too.

17. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I go back and forth in discussion with myself about whether or not it's the correct goal to aim for similar tone. I know that Steve has said in the past that he aims for the same tone on both LP and CD, all other things being different about reproduction for both mediums. Sometimes I wonder if I'm manipulating the system in ways that are not true to the music, but it sounds good to me, so, hey!

I think this is what I meant by differences (except for the tonal balance), I just didn't feel like identifying them all:laugh:.

John K.

18. Joe Koz

Good call, Bradley! :thumbsup:

19. JohnnyH

JohnnyH Senior Member

Your Songs - MCA Elton compilation mastered by SH...

even listening to a CD-R in the car, friends comment on the sound quality.

20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

"Diana Krall in Paris"
    "Chicago" Soundtrack
    I was AMAZED by the sonic quality of these 2 regular CD's.

21. sgraham

sgraham New Member

I haven't heard CDs sounding like LPs.

22. ChrisM

ChrisM Reclusive Enabler

Even the British copies of one of the early Purples on CD (I can't remember which off-hand) was sourced from vinyl. It was not deliberate on their part. It just happened to be the "master" tape in their vaults. It wasn't until their most recent CD remaster that the REAL master tape was used. It came from the US.

Cheers,
    Chris

23. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I'll just confine my short list to commercial CDs that I know to sound very close to or exactly like the LP from my A-B comparisons:

Lee Ritenour-"Rit" Elektra LP/CD
    Steely Dan-"Aja" ABC Records LP/1999 MCA Roger Nichols remaster
    Aretha Franklin-"Lady Soul/Aretha Now" Atlantic LP/MFSL CD
    Prince-"Controversy" WB LP/CD

driverdrummer likes this.
  24. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

I haven't come across many. Either they sound better, worse, or different--rarely 'like,' though there are exceptions. Edsel's remastering of The Kaleidoscope's 1967 classic SIDE TRIPS sure got in the ballpark; nice, but very natural, not much real difference compared to the Epic Lp.

On the other end, there are the discs that sound too much like the Lp. A classic example was the old Thunderbolt/UK CD of Love's fourth album, FOUR SAIL. Just like the WLP I have, the CD has the same distortion and general fuzziness and lack of spark the vinyl had. Yet you can't hear any needledrop, so the disc must have been sourced from a tape very close to the original Elektra used back in '69.

ED:cool:

25. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

GREAT THREAD!!!
    We 'need' this.

Would like to ask if it's ok to list the Cee Dee's that sound like analog tape?
    I enjoy/like the fact that CD's get close to reproducing the 'master tape'.

If that's, NOT EVEN, what your looking for/allowing, no problem!

I Still, LOVE THIS THREAD!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.