The Church - any of the congregation here? (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Remington Steele, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

Just picked up Steve Kilbey / Martin Kennedy's new album Inside We Are the Same on vinyl. On first listen, it sounds up to Steve's normal high standards.

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  2. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Em. likes this.
  3. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Interesting color choice for vinyl for Starfish.
    Green made sense for the Reptile single, but I'd think white or the pale blue (us used for the inner sleeve) would've been a better match for this album.

I wonder if the master for the semi-recent re-issue is used for this green vinyl pressing.

AlienRendel likes this.
  4. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

That's the million dollar question right there. How will it sound? My original US Arista pressing still sounds amazing.

mc.ubba, jimhb and Em. like this.
  5. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

6. Em.

Em. Forum Resident

Oh, absolutely! The original US Arista makes me not feel the need to buy any other pressings of Starfish.

AlienRendel likes this.
  7. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

You can easily find a US original Starfish lp for around $3.

AlienRendel likes this.
  8. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

Even the Columbia House edition sounds good, though I suspect it's cut from a digital master.

9. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I don't have it on Vinyl anymore and cant find it used here anywhere at any price, I cheerfully pre-ordered.

Em. likes this.
  10. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In what condition and where? Stores I see in big cities I've shopped in over the last couple years price anything by the Church in VG or better shape at $15-20 for common pressings. That's when they have those records. I'd love a nice clean copy of Starfish on Arista, but I don't feel like buying 5 different copies from ebay/discogs until I get one that isn't overgraded big time.

11. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

I'm with you on that. I never buying anything on that label (or 4Men, same company basically). I refuse to support any label that take such little care with their vinyl releases. Would love to see MOFI or someone decent do the type of reissue this album deserves.

I was also listening to "After Everything Now This" earlier today. That one surely deserves a well-done vinyl reissue as well.

jimhb and Defrance like this.
  12. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Not long ago it was like this all over Denver.. I bought a mint Starfish for $1 at Goodwill recently.

13. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I saw one recently at Newbury Comics - I think it was $25.

patient_ot likes this.
  14. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Shoulda bought them all up and sold them to forum members here at a nice price :)

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

Thing is, if the record was in front of me, and truly NM, I *might* be willing to pay that.

16. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

I lucked out in 2007.... that's cents, not dollars:

[​IMG]

D.B., JeffMo, AlienRendel and 2 others like this.
  17. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Listening to my new green Starfish right now, WOW! Right off the bat I notice the Paiste High Hats chicking along in the beginning of Destination sounding VERY REAL!

What a revelation!

AlienRendel likes this.
  18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

Nice. Please let us know how the entire thing sounds and what you are comparing it to.

19. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

Entire thing just finished. All the overblown distortion, my definition of loudness/clipping, entirely gone!
    Easy on the ears, the Drums sound punchy and real, the Cymbals have high freq extension and decay. The guitars are not piercing but pleasing, the voice sounds centered and clear. Turning it up does not cause fatigue.

All this is compared to the 1988 copy-writed Arista CD that has been my go to all these years and found it acceptable.
    I also own the Deluxe CD which I look at but never play due to it being inferior to the original CD in terms of sound quality. Many years ago I had the original vinyl which I wore out and lost.

AlienRendel likes this.
  20. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

What are you comparing this to? Do you have the original US LP?

21. Stuart S

Stuart S Back Jack

I know the DR values of the original CD is excellent, but I still found it quite distorted sounding from the beginning.

22. A facebook friend did this comparison between the original Starfish vinyl version and the 2016 re-release:

Em., AlienRendel and Stuart S like this.
  23. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

A comment from Discogs on the 2016 Plain Starfish reissue:

The audio mix on this is flat as a sheet of paper and there is surface noise in abundance. No dynamic range whatsoever. Plain Recordings strikes again. Buy an original pressing if you wish to own this.

24. pjc1

pjc1 Forum Resident

Looks like a new US tour? Tickets on sale for a show Wed., Apr. 20 at Tupelo Hall in Londonderry, NH.

And they're on the bill at the Maverick Music Festival in San Antonio, TX on Apr 8 + 9 (not sure which day(s) The Church may be playing).

ad180 likes this.
  25. Levitated

Levitated Forum Resident

Where are you seeing this? Doesn't look like they list any shows on their website yet.