The (Classically) Smiths reunion(-ish), summer 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

From Pitchfork:

Andy Rourke and Mike Joyce Announce “Classically Smiths” Concerts | Pitchfork

My Smiths fandom has very much dwindled to a passing interest (thanks in part to Morrissey continuing his quest to undo any goodwill he's ever generated), but I'm a big fan of their rhythm section.

Still have mixed feelings on this. It's somewhere between The New Cars and Queen + Adam Lambert.

ToneLa likes this.
  2. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

You hear that noise?

That’s the sound of lawyers salivating.

ToneLa likes this.
  3. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

I LOVE Andy Rourke's contributions to the Smiths. You wanna know my favourite bassist? The most underrated? The one who should have been lionized and had a stellar career? Him. Wow.

Joyce eh, whatever. Perfunctory. Authentic, I guess.

Even Johnny Marr's criticism of Gannon was "he just played what's on the record". Creatively lacking perhaps, but if he can play... He DID add to the Smiths back in the day, but I got no idea what he's like now. He could do it justice. Not to say he's Johnny Marr, but if the Smiths were anything, it was "more than the sum of their parts."

I think these gigs will be better than say, Morrissey's horrific butchered "This Charming Man" live. Orchestra too...

Johnny Marr is my favorite Smith these days. Musically and otherwise. Sadly lacking from the bill (I'll be curios what he says.)

The saddest part of the Smiths ending was not Moz and Marr splitting: it was Marr and Rourke, childhood friends, splitting. :(

Forum, I promise you: I'll see this and report back. Assuming it happens! I wanna witness Rourke's bass.

... But what about vocals? I'm available :D

A lot of questions, and... Er.. Legally? Who knows. But musically, the pedigree is good.

I've probably heard worse Smiths covers at gigs - usually by the frontman. (Marr's covers are very respectable!)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    perplexed likes this.
  4. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

ToneLa likes this.
  5. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

The guest singer thing could either get a lot of decent candidates or.. Fizzle.

If nothing else. Get your popcorn ready for this one. :-popcorn:

Imagine Macca and Ringo touring the Beatles now. They'd have to call themselves "Drum and Bass"

Zoot Marimba and shadow blaster like this.
  6. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Hmmm...if it makes them some cash then I can't complain but I think it's a terrible idea.

ribonucleic and oldturkey like this.
  7. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

This is like a sandwich without the meat, or a pizza without cheese and sauce.

8. inaptitude

inaptitude Forum Resident

9. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Without Johnny Marr I have no interest.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Wtf? All the stuff they've setup so far promises him.

Andy's non-involvement is a dealbreaker for me. The drumming isn't that interesting and without Johnny Marr on guitar it's basically just a cover band, original members be damned.

I don't wanna hear anyone play Smiths bass but Andy, not if I can't have Johnny.

I ain't gonna rag on Joyce automatically, but his very own twitter promised Andy. So.. Again. Huh??

Following the link, Andy himself released a statement, so it seems unlikely it's crossed wires from his side. Sigh

11. Exit Flagger

Exit Flagger Forum Resident

Well we all know Marr and Morrissey were the weakest links in the Smiths. :laugh:

PIGGIES, Rooster_Ties and ToneLa like this.
  12. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Now, these shows are the drummer and the session guitarist.

"Underwhelmed" doesn't begin to describe it.

This is becoming a farce! (Gannon is still in it, as far as me writing this post)

13. Slackhurst Broadcasting

Slackhurst Broadcasting Forum Resident

Even with all three it'd be strictly the back end of a pantomime horse.

14. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

It’s truly laughable aha ahahaha

How did it get to this stage if Andy wasn’t contacted or agreed?

So weird. The idea of the 3 plus orchestra isn’t the most terrible idea. I mean they do zep cover guys playing with symphonies and all that But without Andy it really becomes average drummer and average guitar guy. I like be the smiths but would have no interest in this without Andy. With Andy, maybe if tickets were $20?

ToneLa likes this.
  15. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

... So how long til the orchestra pull out? ;).

Andy's statement didn't say he didn't know about it at all. Maybe they practised. But... Maybe Joyce jumped the gun, and assumed. But that doesn't make it better. It makes it a mess.

Upside? Maybe Marr or even Moz warned Andy, with another prize. I wish!

I mean, not that I believe it could happen, but Moz, Marr and Rourke is basically The Smiths. Take away Rourke and yeah, still the Smiths. But take away all three and there is no Smiths. I'm fussy about bass, and most agree Andy was fantastic.

Just a Joyce, no no, no, Gannon isn't a draw for me. He's just... Not a minus, not a plus.

The only similar band I can think of is Peter Hook's The Light doing Joy Division. But even he was with Sumner "the" main member. Their covers / renditions are pretty solid. But it's such a weird idea now.

Pitchfork hopefully get replies to their requests for answers. Andy's statement isn't just surprised, it sounds a little offended.

16. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

What a joke, pitiful, especially Mike Joyce who has squeezed so much money from Morrissey and Marr, compared to what his contribution deserved.

I'm see they are playing Edinburgh, think I'll go and throw rotten fruit at them.

Nightswimmer and ToneLa like this.
  17. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Sweetness, sweetness I was only joking when I said, of course I'll play some gigs, after we play in your shed

Andy Rourke knows how Johnny Marr felt...

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  18. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

The official site of the Manchester Camerata Orchestra still has the news with tickets to go on sale this Friday. The news was posted a week ago, Jan 16.

Classically Smiths—Rourke Joyce Gannon

I do find it hard to believe Rourke had not given his ok to it all. So weird.

19. inaptitude

Maybe Andy received an anonymous threatening phone call.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  20. If this goes ahead, maybe they could get From The Jam to open.

PIGGIES, hutlock and zphage like this.
  21. PretzelLogic

Mike's dropped out now too. This is a disaster.

22. PretzelLogic

Mike's statement:

"It is with much regret that I have to announce that I will not be taking part in the show (s) Classically Smiths. I entered into agreement in good faith to perform these shows with Andy Rourke and Craig Gannon. Unfortunately it became apparent very late that Andy would not be taking part. I agreed with Andy that I would take part in the press conference and inform people that he would not be taking part. Unfortunately on the morning of the press conference I was informed I would not be able to say this. I therefore agreed to take part in the press interviews but did so without discussing Andy’s participation in the venture at any point during all tv, radio and print interviews. After much deliberation and soul searching I have decided that without Andy, an integral part of why I agreed to take part in the first place, I have come to this difficult decision. I still believe the shows and concept to be a fantastic idea and wish them all the success they deserve."

ToneLa likes this.
  23. inaptitude

24. ToneLa

ToneLa Forum Resident

Craig Gannon on stage alone with an orchestra. Who will be the last man standing? :)

25. PretzelLogic

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.