The Complete Elvis Presley Masters - Sony

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MEMPHISSUN, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Something For Everybody is mastered by Sebastian Jeansson.

2. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

This is back up at PopMarket today. "Original Numbered First Edition Box Sets FOUND!" $600 -- I'm tempted...

3. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Pulled the trigger on that one been pondering it for sometime but a find like this ! couldn't resist.

4. Beholdentonoone

Beholdentonoone Forum Resident

Wish I could but unfortunately Mortgage/Electricity/Cable/Phone/Cell Phone etc gets priority...$600 man oh man I thought we were in a recession???!!! (at least I am)!!!

5. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

Is there anything in this set that you all consider "must have"? I'm sure the box is nice, but I have the 50s, 60s, and 70s masters boxes, Vegas box, Sun recordings, and others. Am I missing out on something great?

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Mucho better mastering.

Tony Trout likes this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Yeah, consistent, uniform mastering. You do have a lot of essential masters and other recordings on the box sets and other releases you do own. Again, the real enticing aspect of the Complete Masters set is having superior, uniform mastering and mixes all in one place. Even fans with upgraded titles (such as some of the stellar FTD reissues) don't have uniform mastering because different engineers and different mastering sessions have been involved with various upgraded titles. All that said, the price point is still way too high for the Complete Masters set; particularly for fans that have most or all of these recordings on other titles.

J.A.W. likes this.
  8. GuruAskew

GuruAskew Forum Resident

I pulled the trigger too. I've been eyeing the 2nd run for years and kicking myself for not having the means to buy the initial run at the time. I've been on the fence every time the 2nd run was a daily deal on popmarket and now with the 1st run popping up again I couldn't resist, though this set is, without a doubt, the most frivolous high-dollar purchase of my life.

Still, I can live with myself because I've coveted it for nearly 3 years, and unlike a lot of you there isn't a single bit of overlap with my existing collection. Elvis's discog has always been intimidating to me and I don't own so much as a single-disc comp. Well, that's a problem now solved.

9. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Well, you will have an overwhelming, enjoyable, yet frustrating experience digesting the entire catalogue. You will hear Elvis' genius, and you will also hear Elvis losing sight of the plot during the mid-'60s and on various occasions during the '70s. It is a fascinating body of work. Have fun.

10. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident Thread Starter

A lot of folks in in the fandom are sick with this lot of 1st set/numbered been "FOUND" (cough) ... with a few the numbers re not under 50 etc.

And yes it costs way to much and there is stuff on there that was needed re-doing before MASTERING started,but that's another story.

Best Cd to get in to PRESLEY with VIC's work (below).

index.jpeg

11. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Whilst I'd love to own this set the price is just way too high for me to either, a) afford it, or b) be willing to pay for it.

For a long time I wanted to upgrade the sonics of the three decade box's but was put off by the high price of doing so, either by this box or the FTD route, but thanks to the good folk on this thread I eventually gave it a go having decided now was the time. I've done this by a combination of the Legacy Editions, the FTD route and buying the odd remastered CD here and there.

The point I'm going to make is that in some ways I'm glad I couldn't afford to buy the "Complete Masters", I say this for a couple of reasons the first being about 50% of the box is just substandard material (Soundtracks etc), secondly having now bought 8 FTD's along with various Legacy Editions, I realise that while the cost could eventually accumulate and come close reaching the sale price of Around £400 GBP for the big box, I am in fact building a better Elvis collection than I would have by simply owning the box, the FTD's offer so many complete alternate takes that are on a par with the released takes, add to that the fact that I Actually Listen to Them, something I wouldn't do with a large chunk of the big box, so I'm actually enhancing my "Elvis Experience" and doing it as and when I can afford it.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
    MarkusGermany and windfall like this.
  12. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

I know no one cares, but I didn't pull the trigger. Thanks for your responses. I'm going to go blow $600 on something else.

Jayson Wall likes this.
  13. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

Well, mine just arrived over here in the UK one of the "found" numbered versions and it's number 5 ! Result...well happy beautiful set too.

heatherly likes this.
  14. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Did you have to pay VAT and Duty when it arrived at your front door as I know that can be a killer.

15. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

It's funny that, as I ordered the Otis Redding stax singles from pop market a week before which of course cost considerably less to buy that this box and I have today received a notice from Post office saying they cannot deliver as there is a customs charge to pay! but this box was delivered straight to my door by Ups just a signature required and all was well so work that one out...

16. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

The Elvis box was obviously sent with duty and VAT paid at source it is good to know that in some cases this does happen but I'm sorry
    to hear you've been stung with your Otis Redding box, anything bought from the States which is over £15 is subject to VAT and duty
    but sometimes you can be lucky and they don't collect.

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It's UPS policy in my country to deliver the item without delay and send a duty/tax invoice later, usually within a few weeks of delivery. Could be the same in the U.K.

18. padesu

padesu Forum Resident

I've got a feeling you could be right as I bought a Doors box and I think that's exactly what happened - great! still nice low number ...helps a little.

19. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Well, I pulled the trigger after months of wanting but not wanting to spend the money(actually years, since this set was released). I don't think I spent so much money on a product at one time, although the day the Beatles remasters came out (stereo box, mono box and rockband collectors set) might have came pretty close. But I can't wait to get lost in this box set and listen to all the music. Between this , the Dylan box, the Beatles bbc and Lewisohn bio, and Hendrix dvd coming out (and the breaking bad blu ray set!) it's going to be a very expensive end of the year. However I'm going to have so much great music and what not to get lost in and keep me occupied for the next year while I stay in and try to get my bank account back to something resembling normalcy :D !!

20. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

Lucky, lucky guy!

I can't see a day when I'll be able to afford this but congrats and enjoy!!

Hep Alien and joeislive like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.