the contentious subject of speaker cables

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, Mar 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roboss38

roboss38 Forum Resident

What silver cables are you currently using?

2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Lectraline and Lectraline Xe.

3. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I am coming to the same conclusion. I am also trying biwire for the first time and having nice results. Part of the decision was simply mechanical—the connections always seemed stressed with the jumpers. Running Luna to the tweets and Solstice to the mids/bass is an interesting solution. Something about a speakers designer telling you that he prefers a certain way puts you in that bind of needing to KNOW what the deal is.

LeeS likes this.
  4. csgreene

csgreene Forum Resident

I like Monoprice.

5. Hipper

Hipper Forum Resident

I bought these:

http://www.qed.co.uk/speaker_cables/signature/qed_genesis_bi_wire_cable.html

I've used them now for around 130 hours and they have undoubtedly altered in that time, most notably a very useful increase in audible percussion, so much so that I think they are at least as revealing if not more so then my headphones (HD800s) without adding any harshness. I'm very pleased with them.

One thing I would say is that the end pieces are very stiff and you should make sure that the length of those end pieces is more then enough to fit the four speaker terminals (it's bi-wire).

As I have my gear on one side wall one length has to be coiled. I made some wooden 'hooks' which I attached to the wall and these hold both cables off the floor. In addition I felt it better to support the amp ends with a loop of string as they are quite heavy.

6. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

It's a wonderful thing when you finally find the cables that you really like.

And it's a done deal.

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. DaveC113

DaveC113 Forum Resident

Class D amps are absolutely the most tweaky amps around. They respond strongly to pretty much everything, from cables to footers. If you get good synergy with a D amp they can sound great, but it can be a crapshoot.

One comment on silver cables.... imo upocc silver is the only good option, lesser silver can be fatiguing and upocc copper is actually better than 4N silver. Upocc silver is very expensive but well worth a try, it's so much better than regular silver they hardly sound like the same material.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That is what got me running back to vinyl! I put the turntable away for 15 years, took it back out and was blown away at the difference. Sometimes that is the best way to really compare things, but of course that method takes time. But I really appreciate what I have now, and of vinyl in general. I wish there was some definitive answer to the cable question. You sure get wildly different opinions, leading me to conclude that perhaps the differences are very subtle.

jupiterboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.