The Cowsills

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PretzelLogic, Jun 29, 2016.

1. maclen

maclen Senior Member

That really is a hell of a video. Amazing they are as normal as they are. Having spent some time around Susan she is the sweetest person you could meet.

keyXVII, Fox67 and Coppertop Tester like this.
  2. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

Wow. I am blown away. Stumbled on to this thread. I remember their hit singles as a kid in the 60's but never ever had any idea of all these releases and how good they are. This thread made me go stream ON MY SIDE and I am completely blown away! Really want vinyl and there are only two on discogs, one in not good shape and the other in good shape for 35 bux. I'm so tempted. Really want to hear llxll but it is not even on youtube or any streaming services. Might just buy that vinyl for ten bux even w/out hearing it. I watched the doc on amazon prime dang that was good. Susan Cowsill is amazing, they all are. Anyways THANKS for turning me on to a ''new band"

3. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it. Thread Starter

Some songs from II x II
    Title track:

DavidD, Isamet and btltez like this.
  4. PretzelLogic

Start To Love:

5. PretzelLogic

I Really Want To Know You:

DavidD and starduster like this.
  6. PretzelLogic

Signs (on a very random dude's video of Boston!)

Michael Bean likes this.
  7. PretzelLogic

Good Time Charlie:

8. PretzelLogic

Anything Changes:

After this, I'll let you discover Side 2, which has two of their greatest songs. :)

9. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

cool thanks. was looking to stream the whole album and it's nowhere, did not know which album these clips were from so this is great thanks!

peopleareleaving likes this.
  10. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Yes. Thank you, Pretzel Logic.

11. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Just came from the Happy Together 2017 tour with The Cowsills as one of the acts. Was blown away by how good they were, incredible harmonies and showmanship. I watched the documentary about the band the night before the show and I couldn't believe the similarities they had with The Beach Boys and the Jackson 5, talented kids managed by an overbearing and physically and emotionally abusive father. That the surviving members are still performing and are incredible performers is a testament to their talent.

DavidD, keyXVII, sixelsix and 6 others like this.
  12. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Ah so that's where this song exists, thought it might be but this confirms it...can't find it on Spotify or ebay even - Just the Cowsills tribute to Billy concert.
    Thanks!

Isamet likes this.
  13. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

I'm not sure it was ever released. Looks like a promo copy

14. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Story behind the song from an interview with John Cowsill

"Well, Bill, Bob, Barry and myself reformed and had a single out on London Records called “Covered Wagon”. We toured a little and then just went our ways. It’s a very foggy period. Too bad none of us kept a journal. I moved back east and played with a band called Grease The Cat for a year. Then I got a call from my brother Paul who was doing sound for Helen Reddy at the time. He just got a deal on Capitol Records along with my brother Bill. So I flew back out to California to join them. The band, Bridey Murphy, now consisted of Bill, Paul, Barry, Waddy Wachtel, myself and Lindsey Buckingham (for all about twenty minutes)… It was absolutely insane. Bill was out of control…alcohol, drugs…well hell, we all were but the rest of us weren’t gonzo like Bill…so we had to force him out. Waddy ended up producing the project. Well, we were recording at Keith Olson’s studio (he was also engineering) and we were putting on background vocals. We see Billy walk in the booth: he grabs the 24-track two- inch tape off of the machine and starts running around the booth stuffing it in his mouth…end of project. John Carter at Capitol got wind of it and poof ! I believe there is a song about it written by Jackson (Brown) and Warren (Zevon) called “Billy Ate The Tape”

Michael Bean likes this.
  15. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Michael Bean likes this.
  16. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Great album, every song is very good!

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This is the same song (but a different recording) that was "Crystal Claps" on the last Cowsills single. The Bridey Murphy version is apparently Paul Cowsill, Waddy Wachtel and session guys.

Here is the flipside:

18. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

I posted this on a thread recently. It's superb. She should go in the studio and cut it with full production and some Beach Boys helping. It could be a late-career smash.

Chris C likes this.
  19. Gersh

Gersh Forum Resident

Another I've drawn attention to recently here. One of my favourite live tracks of anyone in recent years.

20. RandyP

RandyP Forum Resident

Sorting through my 45s the other night: MGM 13909 - "In Need of a Friend"/"Mister Flynn." Great 45. Should've been a bigger hit.

utopiarun likes this.
  21. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

When you listen to all of their albuns up to and including Global you realize that they consistently wrote great songs with great arrangements..., doesn't matter if it was the 60s, 70s, or almost 1990, that doesn't happen often. They just never had the marketing after the 60s

22. I've just watched this - not easy viewing, even more so given the various outcomes for Billy, Barry and Richard.

Thanks for posting.

Best Wishes,
    David

keyXVII and Fox67 like this.
  23. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

If you can find the documentary Family Band: The Cowsills Story there is an interview with Bill Cowsill that indicated that he was adamant that he hated that song, but the destructive force that was their manager and father Bud Cowsill insisted that(e.g. made them)record and put Indian Lake out as a single. Interestingly enough the song did make it to #10 on Billboard in 1968.

24. blehman

blehman Forum Resident

I would highly recommend a solo work by Barry Cowsill that came out before his tragic death in New Orleans during the Hurricane Katrina debacle called U.S. 1 Incredibly talented family. It is amazing with the abuse and mental psychosis perpetrated on these "kids" by their manager/dad Bud Cowsill that any of them are functioning. 2011 documentary Family Band: The Cowsills Story is tragic and at times difficult to watch.

keyXVII and adriatikfan like this.
  25. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

blehman likes this.