The Cream Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

Just played the MFSL Gold Disc of Blind Faith which is very crankable and marvel at the two solos on Had To Cry Today. Eric slays the first and Eric & Stevie mesh perfectly on the second.
    Can't Find My Way Home which has been a FM staple forever is perfect.
    I could picture The Cream doing a version of Well All Right, kicking the outro into another dimension. Nothing wrong with this version though.
    Presence Of The Lord has one of Eric's greatest studio solos ever put to tape. Another Classic.
    Rick Grech gets to shine on Sea Of Joy with that nice touch to add a violin to the proceedings. One of my favorites on the Hyde Park DVD.
    Ending with Do What You Like gives the band a chance to show off their chops and none disappoint. The last 45 seconds of Gingers solo for me is one for the ages.
    My rating on a scale of 5 stars being perfect would be 4.5 only because I'm a bit greedy and wish it were a little longer.

Rose River Bear and Olompali like this.
  2. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Neither had a brilliant late 70s/80s muscially...maybe they could have kicked each others' butts.

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I would have kicked myself too for missing The Turning Point show.

Tuco likes this.
  4. Rose River Bear

That is not a surprise. On a great night, Free were a good or better than any band that ever took to a stage.....including Cream.

5. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Off thread here, but no joke!! I had to rip the 5.1 Blu Ray audio of Celebration Day and convert it to 2.0 to get a listen-able version!

6. I quite agree, I don't find it too long at all. Baker's drums sound great; his solo reminds me of Joe Morello in Brubeck's "Take Five". Same 5/4 time signature I guess.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  7. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Jack Bruce promo advertisement

[​IMG]

8. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

No mention of "L'Angelo Misterioso"... ;)

hoggydoggy likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Will post "Tailor" next week due to a short break due to other responsibilities. If anyone wants to post a review first please do not hesitate to do so.

10. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I saw Blind Faith at the Baltimore Civic Center and if I recall, Taste with Rory Gallagher opened the show. I must say that I very much enjoyed seeing Blind Faith - it was a fun evening, even if, in retrospect it wasn't a magical music moment. IIRC they started with Had To Cry Today with Eric and Steve doing twin leads. About two minutes into the song Eric's amp cuts out and I'm wondering what's going to happen and then Mr. Winwood let's it rip on the guitar - what a great moment for me, at least.

11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

How was Taste?

12. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Rory probably wiped the floor with em. A great band

John Fell likes this.
  13. old school

old school Senior Member

I disagree the Mountain version of " Theme For An Imaginary Western" is way superior in my opinion then Colosseum's. Recorded in the midst of an upheaval in the band's lineup, only one of its eight tracks, "Three Score and Ten, Amen", features all six of the official band members of Colosseum.

14. old school

old school Senior Member

Steve Winwood was a great guitarist plus Steve could play just about any instrument with ease, a true prodigy. Jimi Hendrix wanted to form a band with Steve Winwood and Jack Casady along with Mitch Mitchell. Those four guys had a real magic together when you listen to " Voodoo Chile" live in the studio from Electric Ladyland you can tell those four guys were special!

15. PHILLYQ

PHILLYQ Forum Resident

Ah, what might have been...

old school and John Fell like this.
  16. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Listened to Blind Faith today. "Had To Cry Today" could go on for 30 minutes as far as I'm concerned; Clapton's solo is wonderful as is the interplay between the guitars.
    It's really half an (really good) album - 5 original tunes and one Buddy Holly cover, with some jamming to pad out the album. Both Winwood and Clapton must have been short on material at the time.

17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

The live versions of blind faith songs on the clapton/winwood Madison Square Garden release are great

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  18. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

19. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Is he the tailor?:winkgrin:

Tuck1977 likes this.
  20. Arnold Grove

No he's not the tailor, but L'Angelo does play on this one. Sorry to have jumped the gun on this, but it just sounds so good and fun:

21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'm not sure how to categorize this music.
    Jazz / rock just doesn't quite work for me as a description.

22. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

From Wikipedia:
    The album was titled in tribute to Jeannie Franklyn ("Genie the Tailor"), a clothing designer who designed wardrobes for Cream and was also the girlfriend of Fairport Convention guitarist Richard Thompson (and, according to Bruce's 2010 biography Composing Himself, an ex-lover of Bruce's).

Tuck1977 likes this.
  23. Arnold Grove

Yes, I don't know how to categorize it either. It is very contagious, though, as it sounds to me like they all are having a blast recording it.

24. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

Is there any guitar in there? I don't hear any.

25. Arnold Grove

Probably just a rhythm guitar, although likely mixed low behind all of those horns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.