"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

Another season? Could it be that the real treasure of Oak Island is in the tv show?

I like the idea of the mysterious aspect of the island history, but the never-ending attempts to link the story to any legend out there, and the questioning narrative, gets tiring.

xdawg likes this.
  2. What was up with finding metal plating 150 feet below ground?

painted8 and xdawg like this.
  3. Bad Samaritan

Bad Samaritan Forum Resident

^^^ He meant to say...

Metal plating? What's this? And how did it get 150 feet below ground? Could it be...

4. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Jeezuz H, what are you guys, men or mice??? Where is that old can-do American spirit? The Lagina Bros & their trusty sidekicks work their collectives asses off for three seasons now, digging through mud, through rain, from 10-X to Smith's Cove, from booby trapped box drains to booby headed conspiracy nuts. Sifting through the refuse of two centuries of treasure hunters past, all to have their spirits raised, then their hopes dashed like a splintered piece of wood from the money pit. But they never give up....(patriotic music playing in background)
    [​IMG]

Chris from Chicago and xdawg like this.
  5. Borgia

Okay, here's what I really think...I knew it was going to be bad when the expert metal detector dude hollers out "I found a gold coin" only to have it turn out to be a button. That little moment was a fitting metaphor for the last three seasons, it summed up the whole series for me. They're always on the verge of that potential breakthrough only to have it fall through their fingers. For me, these guys should realize by now that when they dig in the area of the supposed money pit, they are drilling down through a trash pit two hundred years old; a collection of timbers, rocks, and yes, even metal fittings that shored up the tunnels dug by other hunters. All of this stuff collapsed in on itself and the heavier refuse has settled to the bottom. Something may have actually been buried on Oak Island a long time ago. It seems it was actually a military encampment in the 1700s. A ship buried in the swamp? We'll see, but it seems unlikely to me. Will they find it? Only another season will tell. On a different note, if I was Andrew the drill rig foreman, the next time Marty Lagina walks up like the boss & says "Whattaya got, tell us something, whattaya mean the rigs stuck" I'd slap that hard hat off his head & tell him to take a hike. he is starting to irritate me. But.....if you think that means I'm giving up on the Curse of Oak Island, well....
    [​IMG]

6. You'd have better luck finding your lost virginity than you would finding treasure on Oak Island.

I believe the only real BURIED treasure found in North America was the $11 million in gold coins that couple in California found by accident in 2014.

Chris from Chicago, Borgia and xdawg like this.
  7. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Typical "Curse Of Oak Island" TV show disappointment.
    Typical Oak Island intrigue.
    As I've said before, I almost don't care if they find any treasure. What the he-double hockey sticks was all of that wood & metal doing almost 200 feet underground? Those big screws, nuts & washers looked ancient. For them to find that stuff down there is proof in my eyes that people went through a lot of effort to hide something there.
    Of course, carbon dating is needed, but if that stuff tests out to be 300+ years old...boom! Definitive proof of human activity way down there.

painted8 and xdawg like this.
  8. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

Or went through a lot of effort to find something down there.

xdawg likes this.
  9. Damien DiAngelo

That is always possible, but people didn't start actively searching until after 1800.
    If this wood & metal dates from before the 1500s to the early 1700s, then that is during the time when people would have been actively hiding stuff there, not looking for it.
    Besides, a lot of what the searchers have done is documented. None of them used possibly hand hammered metals, big corner plates & big nuts/bolts/screws in any of the searcher tunnels. That big corner plate & the nuts/bolts & screws were there for a more permanent structure than search tunnels.

xdawg and Lownote30 like this.
  10. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I missed the last show of the season, but it sounds like I didn't miss much.

xdawg likes this.
  11. Chris from Chicago

Chris from Chicago Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes

It seems like, as of now, there might not be a season 5. History channel would reportedly jump at the chance. But filming takes the brothers away from their family for too long. I suspect they could be convinced with a strong enough financial offer from either the Canadian government or the History channel itself.

ssmith3046 and xdawg like this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

13. Damien DiAngelo

We will find out tonight on the "Digging Under" show. It's on at 10 PM eastern.
    From what I can tell from the commercials I've seen, they will reveal the dating on the objects they pulled out of the last hole.
    It sounds like there will be another season. In the previews, they say something about finding a cypher on a map that they've decoded. The cypher gives them the spot where they should dig.
    Of course, we all know how they can edit the previews to make the upcoming show a lot more interesting than it really is. We'll see.

Borgia, painted8, xdawg and 1 other person like this.
  14. PT Barnum is laughing from his grave!

Chris DeVoe, ssmith3046 and xdawg like this.
  15. Borgia

After watching "Digging Under" the other night, it looks to me like there will be another season, for reasons that elude me. They are not done with: 10-X, the Money Pit, the Swamp, the Trap Door (back door, the hatch, whatever). They are gearing up to continue on. I will watch....

Damien DiAngelo and xdawg like this.
  16. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

My DVR only recorded part of Digging Under. Did they mention anything about having that thick metal brace/hinge tested to figure out how old it was?

xdawg likes this.
  17. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

I think they said is was still being tested at the time of the interviews. Here is a recap someone did on the reddit page
    Recap of Drilling Down • r/OakIsland

Borgia, painted8 and Damien DiAngelo like this.
  18. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Thanks! Given what they pulled out of GAL, I'm surprised there's not more enthusiasm to explore it more.

xdawg likes this.
  19. Damien DiAngelo

That struck me as a little weird too.
    The only thing I can figure is that it's the producers trying to inject a little drama. At the end of the last episode, when they were discussing what they found & their possible future plans, Marty seemed like he was done and he didn't want to do anything more. Like he had to be convinced. I'm thinking he was told to be like that for the show.
    It is a reality TV show. They can't plant stuff 200' in the ground for drama, so they have to manufacture it a different way.

xdawg and Chris from Chicago like this.
  20. Borgia

One thing they did mention while talking about the money pit was the close proximity of these recent bore holes they just dug. Both the bros seem to think that if you drew a circle encompassing the three most recent holes, the original money pit would fall into that area. They seemed pretty sure they're not done in that area. It may depend on the age & composition of the metal they are having tested.

21. Macman

Macman Senior Member

They did say they were over their budget for the season and they'll be back next summer. I found the discovery of the metal to be really intriguing.

xdawg likes this.
  22. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Whatever happened to the bone they found a few episodes ago? Did I miss the results of testing on that? It looked like a finger bone but I suspect it's from a seal. They have bones in their flippers that look a lot like hand bones.

xdawg likes this.
  23. Borgia

I had forgotten all about the bone & haven't heard it mentioned since, unless I missed something.

xdawg likes this.
  24. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

There was no discussion about the bone on any subsequent show. My guess is that someone went to KFC in the 60s and threw the leg bone into 10X without Dan's knowledge. :winkgrin:

25. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Got that right.

xdawg likes this.