"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

That was in response to the post above mine.

Lownote30 likes this.
  2. jeffmackwood

jeffmackwood Forum Resident

I've not scanned all 13 pages of this thread, so I apologize if this has been mentioned before...

For anyone interested in Oak Island, I highly recommend The Oak Island Mystery [Second Edition] (1967) by Reginald V. Harris, The Ryerson Press Toronto. Quite a detailed historical account up until that point.

Jeff

xdawg likes this.
  3. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I know. I was joking! :D

4. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

Last night's tally:

Another iron spike
    Pottery chips (from ~ 190 feet down)
    Bone fragment - possibly human (from ~150 feet down)

The bone fragment is the most intriguing to me.

5. At least the Al Capone Vault fiasco-special was over and done in under 2 hours time. This nonsense just gets dragged out week after week, year after year.

6. Borgia

Ancient wood? Bone in the hole? A mysterious spike on the beach? (An Oak Island first?)
    In the previews for an upcoming show it shows the Lagina bros high-fiving while Marty exults "you did it, you found the money pit!" I bet they declare victory & go home, after finding nothing more than old hunks of iron, scraps of wood, and a handful of old coins. But what if I'm wrong?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    xdawg likes this.
  7. xdawg

Could it be? :winkgrin:

painted8 likes this.
  8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

I just started to watch this at the end of Season 4 with my 8 year old - it is interesting and he enjoys it. Definitely plods along - I am just impressed with all the machinery and work performed - which interests my kid, too. The story-line is good, too.
    My wife just goofs on us while we watch it - she thinks the whole thing is silly.

The amount of money that they are sinking into this is pretty amazing.

9. Beatmusicfan

Beatmusicfan Forum Resident

I've been watching from the beginning, mainly as a tribute to my dad. Years ago, when the "In Search Of" series with Leonard Nimoy covered Oak Island, my dad told me how that story had fascinated him as a boy. I found the story interesting in and of itself and also because of the interest that my dad had in it. Unfortunately, my dad didn't live long enough to see this show. I started watching for the both of us. I think he would have enjoyed the first season or two but I don't think that he'd have the patience to keep watching.

I like the Laginas and really hope they find something, but the longer it drags on, I don't think they will. The narration is annoying as all hell, but I want to see things through with this series.

It seems like the episodes this season have really dragged. The episode with the toy gun never seemed to end. How long does it take a guy to remember whether or not he played with the gun found? He looked it over for the better part of 15 minutes before stating that he probably had. Not that gripping to watch!

painted8 likes this.
  10. I remember that In Search Of episode about Oak Island, when there was still a hope that great treasure was buried on the island.

11. xdawg

I agree about the toy gun episode. That may have been the worst episode in the series.

12. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

This series held some real promise when it came out. It has now evolved into a five-year version of The Mystery of Al Capone's Vaults. Well to be fair, it's not quite that interesting.

reapers likes this.
  13. xdawg

It may be a load of BS, but it is still 1,000,000 times more interesting than the Al Capone's vault special! :cheers:

14. Archtop

I only lost two hours of my life with the Al Capone thing. I've lost far more than that on Oak Island. And five years of hyperbole goes a very long way toward fulfilling my life's quota. I spent many years overseeing land-based drilling operations, so none of those problems are of any interest to me. Well, it's 5 PM, let's knock off and get some dinner. We found some wood fragments today!

xdawg likes this.
  15. xdawg

Change the channel then.:tiphat:

Archtop likes this.
  16. Archtop

Both my wife and I do. But we like that channel and are generally disappointed when tripe like Oak Island or Ancient Aliens (that's history?) are on.

Pete Puma and xdawg like this.
  17. xdawg

Damn! I LOVE "Ancient Aliens"! You have crossed the line now! :cop:

:winkgrin:

Archtop likes this.
  18. Archtop

There's certainly no reason why we have to like the same stuff. Love what you love; I've got no involvement in that. Rock on, Brother.

xdawg likes this.
  19. xdawg

Will do! :laugh:

Archtop likes this.
  20. xdawg

Last night's treasure:

Another bone fragment
    Anther pottery chip
    A piece of leather
    A piece of paper

21. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

What happened to Finding Bigfoot? Now that was a SHOW!

22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Maybe he's down the money pit???

23. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

That's what I was thinking. They need Bobo on Oak Island.

Lownote30 and smilin ed like this.
  24. Borgia

Well, okay then. This is a little better. The pottery shards at 190 or whatever feet doesn't really impress me as much as the 2 pieces of human bone. The area has been dug over for many years and I think it's like a trash dump. Debris (broken pottery) will settle to the bottom after enough time. But the bones? Thats interesting. Carbon dating will tell how old they are.
    The guy dropping the lines down those bore shafts & then reading for conductive metals is interesting, but did you see how quick Marty Lagina went from "Its the Chapel vault" to "We found the money pit!" without knowing what they'd found. I thought his Oak Island buddies kind of gave him a look, like hold your horses there Mart. The analysis guy reading the equipment is only saying there is a place that contains conductive metal in some form or another. It might even be natural. But old Marty ain't waiting around, it's the money pit or bust.
    Looking ahead to next week it seems they found a piece of fiber or leather that they are calling book leather. Which is interesting.
    Poor Rick has Lyme disease, which begs the question: "Tick Fever? On Oak Island?" Tune in next week to watch his recovery.

25. Apollo C. Vermouth

Apollo C. Vermouth Forum Resident

Started watching last season and it has my interest. I think I started watching after Hunting Hitler Season 2 was over...The final season starts in January :) Can't wait for that to start.