"The Curse Of Oak Island" on The History Channel

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by xdawg, Jan 20, 2014.

1. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves Thread Starter

That's the new one and I haven't read it yet. I need to make a trip to Sam's Club or Costco soon!

2. CusBlues

CusBlues Fort Wayne’s Favorite Retired Son

No problem. My jab was at the History Channel, not you or anyone else watching the show. In fact, I watch Pawn Stars and American Pickers so who am I to complain? :blah:

xdawg likes this.
  3. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I watched a different documentary on it and read a lot about it.

Seems every story or show tells it differently.

One thing I watched made "Some" of it sound true, but the reasons were more for an ancient burial vault.

Hard to say what the truth is.

xdawg likes this.
  4. xdawg

I like to watch the "Ancient Aliens" show for pure entertainment value.:-plnktn-:

CusBlues likes this.
  5. xdawg

It sounds like we are in the same camp on Oak Island. :wave:

6. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

The truth is that the 'mystery's' proven a money-maker for many, hidden-treasure aside.

7. xdawg

I just watched my DVR copy of last night's episode. I still can't believe they will solve the mystery, but DAMN, it sure is compelling to me! The excitement and emotion of the Laginas is pretty contagious.

8. Macman

Macman Senior Member

It's a neat tale, but the only money pit there involves the cash being flushed chasing a dream.

numer9 likes this.
  9. xdawg

Hey, at least it isn't OUR cash. I just along for the ride! All power to the Laginas if they find anything too (and I hope they do)!

10. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Oh, me too! I'd love it if they found something, but this has been going on here for so long that it defies logic.

Scotian and xdawg like this.
  11. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I remember first reading about Oak Island when I was a boy and being captivated by it. I still am but it seems like such a fool's game at this point. I'd love to be wrong, though.

erniebert and xdawg like this.
  12. chakatak

chakatak New Member

This last episode was the best one since the first which pulled me in. I hope they find something but the show keeps making me think about the Geraldo Rivera show in the 80's when they opened the vault of Al Capone. They found nothing.. I hope this doesn't end the same. My concern is they are at episode 4 out of 6 and haven't shown too much digging up until this last one. If they found anything, I would think the show would continue for several more episodes thereafter. I'm starting to wonder if they gave up or did the legend come true and a 7th had to die?? ooooo, creepy....

Also, is there a better way to finance your treasure hunt or "quest" other than having History Channel make a show out of it? I suspect this helped a lot with the cost involved.

I'm not embarrassed to say I am hooked on the show. Just wish they would stop showing the same thing over and over just to fill the allotted time. There has to be more footage of interesting discoveries and finds during their investigation instead of repeating the same historical information that can be found with a simple and quick Google search.

Let's go Rick and Marty! I am wishing them all the luck in the world!

xdawg likes this.
  13. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

xdawg likes this.
  14. xdawg

That is a nice write-up. For me, these types of mysteries are like carnival rides - you know you are going to end up basically where you started, but the more interesting the journey, the more fun! This show and story is - so far - very interesting to me. I'm just happy the Laginas are doing what I always wanted to do (on Oak Island) without me having to actually foot the bill. I'm along for the ride for free too!

15. xdawg

It looks like there are only two more episodes for this season. The finale' is February 9th. Based on the premise, Marty is footing most of the bill, but THC must be underwriting a good deal too.

I don't know how "close-lipped" this project is. Most of the time, there are leaks to the media if anything major is found ahead of a TV schedule (e.g. Survivor). Of course, this may be under the radar for most people.
    It's always fun to speculate. Even if they don't find anything, I'll still believe in Santa Claus (Billy-Bob Thornton version or not)! :cool:

16. BrettHD

BrettHD New Member

Personally my skepticism resides in the lack of proper archeological excavation. I could be wrong and I'm by no means an expert but as far as I know the island has ever only been excavated by amateur treasure hunters, which is quite troubling to me. It's not hard to pique the interest of archeologists if they are presented with even the slightest bit of evidence that a site of historical significance is there to be found. So I would be curious as to why scientists have seemingly displayed a complete lack of interest in the island. Something just doesn't seem to add up. The other problem I see relates to the plethora of theories regarding the islands significance and the way they've evolved to become more extravagant with each new generation of treasure hunters. What started out as the possible sight of stolen money later evolved to a hiding place for pirate loot, and now has shifted to the all to common Templar theories that seem to arise whenever this type of treasure hunt goes bust. It happens all the time in amateur archeology, people invest huge amounts of both time and money, then because of human nature people consistently invent more extravagant explanations as to why they were unsuccessful as opposed to admitting there's nothing there and thus their time was wasted.

17. jason v

jason v New Member

There is a very interesting comment,and subsequent editing of said comment (season 2),sorry I can't pin down EP.#,erased from dvr and not available on demand.It was mid-season possibly "Templar trail". It occurs when some of the team visits the masonic lodge looking for information about the cypher stone.The older gentleman says that he is quote “WORRIED” about what they may find down there.The "bad" edit occurs right after he says “there”. The very next part of his statement (that makes the air) is quote “ARE WE READY FOR IT”.I think it’s very reasonable to assume that he explained, at least to some degree, WHY he is worried,but it was deliberately cut out of the show.The masons are obviously involved in the oak island story BIG TIME.The same gentleman who made that statement admitted that they have some secrets.So I think it’s safe to assume that he knows damn well what he’s referring to.So in conclusion I will begin banging my head against a brick wall and ask that someone on the oak island team HONESTLY tells us the missing portion of the mans statement,because in my humble opinion,THAT is “the big reveal”.

xdawg likes this.
  18. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Oak Island is one of the first unsolved mysteries I read about in the 70s. Great story. The show is alright, but I doubt they will find anything worthwhile. I would still rather watch it than most stuff. At least the scenery is cool.

19. Mrs. Beeton

Mrs. Beeton Active Member

As a kid I loved reading about the mysteries of Oak island. However, this series seems to be marketed to the brain dead. A different crazy pseudo historical theory each week + loads of expensive looking scientific gear + lots of talking at board meetings + references to old timers who spent/ wasted a great deal of their lives obsessed with the 'lost treasure' which is suppose to be sentimental and pull at the heart strings = nothing really happens. You have be very stupid to watch this show more than once.

numer9 likes this.
  20. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

I guess I'm really stupid. :D
    I came into the show at the middle of this past season, but I'm intrigued, and looking forward to next season.

They sent a very advanced sonar down 10-x to a cavern over 200 ft. down that Dan Blankenship found back in the late 60's when he dug 10-x. There is evidence of something man-made down there. The sonar company usually does searches underwater. They said they would send a diver down to see what's there if they could. There is an opening that looks like it would lead to where they think the money pit is, and there appears to be a square box down there. Square things don't happen in nature too often.

They also are showing a lot more old video that Mr. Blankenship made a long time ago, that I hadn't seen earlier in the season. He got murky black & white video of that cavern at the bottom of 10-x back in 1971. They say it shows an old tool & a box. (The sonar seems to confirm the box). But they won't show it very clearly on tv. Every time they show the 'box', they immediately superimpose a graphic of the box over what you're supposed to be looking at. That frustrates me a little.

What really freaks me out is the thought of Dan Blankenship going down into 10-x when it was only 28 inches wide. I'm claustrophobic, and the thought of being 100+ feet down, in water, in a hole barely big enough for me is scary.

chilinvilin and xdawg like this.
  21. xdawg

Wow! Thanks for the sweeping generalization! :rolleyes:

Wondering, chilinvilin and erniebert like this.
  22. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It seems that whenever I flip channels and end up on that show I am seeing a repeat of one I have already watched.

23. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

If the Masons were involved "big time" and "worried", they would have bought the island years ago and ended any digs.

Lost In The Flood and xdawg like this.
  24. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

IF - they actually found the Ark Of The Covenant and every other missing historical treasure - we wouldn't have to watch the show - it would immediately be NEWS.

Lost In The Flood and xdawg like this.
  25. jason v

jason v New Member

You have a very valid point. I just find it interesting that after the lagina's started their operations the masons came out of the woodwork.Many, not all ,of the non-lagina's identified themselves as masons. I wouldn't be surprised if the lagina's themselves are masons. They could be doing what you said right now, but rather than ending digs, they decided for whatever reason to go get "it" at this time. While they're at it why not get some publicity and defray costs by selling their operation to the history channel. With that said , if there really is something extraordinary there (not precious medals) that would be earth shaking or upsetting , particularly these days in our quick to be outraged at any little thing culture , we'll never know about it...and no that doesn't make me outraged, just disappointed.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
    xdawg likes this.