The Detour - TBS Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by rburly, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9 Thread Starter

Has anyone else seen either the commercials or the sneak peek episode? It looks like its going to be hilarious to me. I'm sure it's not for everyone, but if you like quirky, or super quirky, at least check an episode out. It starts Monday April 11. I already have my DVR set to record the series.

[​IMG]

2. rburly

The series starts at 9 pm on TBS tonight.

3. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Hilarious so far.

rburly likes this.
  4. rburly

It's my favorite non-pc family comedy on TV. They literally cover everything and it's actually funny. Not laugh-track funny, LOL-funny.

5. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I caught up with this a few days ago. Agree, it is very funny. But, also interested in the dark places they keep foreshadowing.

6. rburly

As you probably saw, they're taking a "vacation" to Florida because (somehow) mom got dad fired from his job. I don't know how exactly, even though they show flashbacks. I watch the show just to see how crazy they can be and still make it a hilarious (non-traditional) sitcom.

7. Complier

Complier Senior Member

This is a very funny show.

8. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

I have DVRd this show but have yet to get motivated to watch. Haven't seen a funny sitcom since Jerry. But based on these reviews tonight we will give it a try.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Watched the first two episodes today. I like a lot of it, while some of it falls flat. The Mom is hot. :love:

10. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

No love for Modern Family?

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Remember the old Bill Murray routine on SNL when he would review the movies up for Academy Awards and toss out some because he hadn't seen them...?

12. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

I sure do. But given that you're not a character created in the wacky mind of a comic, I'd highly recommend MF- best sitcom I've seen in years. There are many LOL moments and it doesn't hurt that there's plenty of eye candy (Sofia Vergara and Julie Bowen, to name the age-appropriate ones). It's a rare network show that exhibits great writing, acting and directing. Very fast paced usually- sometimes you miss some of the drier humor b/c you don't have time to think about it before they're on to the next bit. Themes center on family dynamics and are universally relatable. They do deal in stereotypes at times (esp. w/ the gay couple w/ the asian baby), but generally do it so humorously that it's not objectionable. Of course, there are hits and misses, but many more hits and the misses are still entertaining. It's in syndication on USA, many shows per week, sometimes in blocks as big as 10. With a DVR, you could see them all in probably a month, if not less, excluding the current season, which is on ABC.

Nobody quite as crazy as the wife in Detour seems to be, but Julie Bowen's character is quite fond of her wine and Sofia V's character can be very "playful." One time she asks her husband (the patriarch of the family played by Ed O'Neil, who married a hot Latino near his daughter's age when his wife left) "I'm taking a shower Jay, would you like to join me?" To which he replies "Honey- there's a gun in the garage. If I ever answer no to that question, I want you to shoot me w/ it." And the character's expressions always match the lines so perfectly. I was never a fan of Married w/ Children, but Ed O really impresses me in this.

It's got a similar edge to it that Seinfeld did in its time- at least it did; I guess that edge has been dulled now that's it been going so long- Season 7 now IIRC. Check it out.

bababooey likes this.
  13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

It's okay, with some funny scenes, but it's not sustained throughout each ep. Lots of flat spots. It somehow feels like it should be funnier than it actually is, but it's still very watchable and it has a likable cast.

George P likes this.
  14. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

Mom was Raylan Givins' wife, Winona in "Justified". And hot she is...

15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Boy, ep4 (Conquistadors) took a detour into horrible, cringeworthy territory. Yikes! I'll give it one more ep to see if it can improve...

16. rburly

The episode started off fine and I was following, but by the end, I was thinking, "Who are these people? Did the show end and I missed it?" Confusing (to me) at the end for sure. I'll have to re-watch it.

17. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

Still funny, but not for the faint-of-heart.

"Revenge!" :p

rburly likes this.
  18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I watched the whole marathon and then the finale yesterday. I thought (ep.3) Conquistadors started off great, but soured by the end. The whole "chink in the armor" bit was funny if it was just the one joke, but then they had to go on and on to try to make a point. The two episodes at the b&b were pretty great, though, I thought.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Well, I've now seen the whole season. I thought early on it was rather wobbly with one or two horribly cringeworthy episodes. However, in the latter half of the season and to the end, it found its legs and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I love the kids, especially the girl - they're both excellent talents.

Season 2 has been setup with an intriguing proposition. I'll be tuning in again.

Scott222C and F_C_FRANKLIN like this.
  20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

And I have tuned in :). A good start to the new season with a very different feel.

Loved the dig on homeopathy with Nate now selling "structured hydro-nutrients - harnessing its unique chemical memory to optimize axon functions in the brain, which keep the body clear of harmful toxins and promote and sustain mood balance" and his daughter Delilah replies: "isn't that just water?". Indeed!

There are lots of little blink and you'll miss them lines like that throughout both episodes. Enjoying it,

Scott222C likes this.
  21. Scott222C

Scott222C Loner, Rebel & Family Man

I am glad to hear that the second season is on, the first one really made me laugh. Also the sexiest female lead IMO. Down-to-earth and totally hot.

Such a nice couple.

[​IMG]

22. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Great show... hoping to get more of Robin's ****-show sister Vanessa as Season 2 goes on.
    +1 on how beautiful Natalie Zea is.

23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Along with It's Always Sunny, this is my favorite comedy on TV right now. Season 1 was good, but wow did they start season 2 with a bang.

It's almost at Veep levels with the delivery.

24. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I haven't been watching this show for a while but caught last night's episode. holy crap. I haven't laughed that hard in a while!

25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Don't like what they are doing with the daughter... last season she kinda came off as being precocious... now they have her playing as flat out annoying and childish.

Deesky likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.