The DIDX numbers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Sep 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

All of this talk about WG colored CDs got me looking through my CDs, as I was an early starter with the format.

A lot of my early CDs have this DIDX number bext to the label and catalog number. Was this really a sequence number of CD releases? These numbers stopped appearing a long time ago.

Thanks, and sorry if this is an old topic....

:-jon

2. CT Dave

CT Dave Senior Member

The DIDX prefix was used by Sony to catalog non-Sony titles manufactured at Sony's CD plants. In the early days of CDs, when there were only a handful of plants producing CDs, many labels had their discs produced in more than one plant. If you have a CD that has this DIDX prefix on the label, it means that Sony produced some copies of that CD. If the disc itself has the DIDX code stamped of etched around the inner ring, then you have a Sony made CD. Also, many WEA titles that were sold through Columbia House have the DIDX code because they were manufactured by Sony for Columbia House. Sony still uses the DIDX code on CDs made for outside labels. They just are not as common on major label titles, since the majors manufacture most of their own CDs now. They still show up on a lot of titles from Columbia House.

crispi likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.