The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

Do we have any clues if the December 70 Dallas show that Robbie alluded to is a soundboard recording or the same source as the circulating tape/boot?

Could it be an additional Treanor recording?

Dodoz, marklamb and Matthew Tate like this.
  2. Or the cameras simply weren't around on those occasions when Jim really scaled the heights of his performance abilities and charisma. There is, after all, relatively little Doors footage in existence. Either way, you are absolutely right, hardly any video content released to date (including IOW forthcoming) shows us really what all the fuss was about.

3. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Never heard about it. I know that New Orleans was recorded somewhat close to PRO as it was described on thedoorsguide a while back.
    Back on topic - I'm still excited for the release and I don't mind that it has added crowd noise. At least from Break on Through clip the performance is still there you know) Of course would've been better to have just original audio on the release without any edits and stuff...

RockRoom likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Full song FOF outtakes, shot in cities outside LA, that could be matched with audience tapes captures it.

The PAS and FOF Blu-rays only give up 5 second samples with no audio. Fan made sync ups are jaw dropping.

A DVD or Blu as the bonus disc for the WFTS 50th would be my choice. Jampol has been an obstacle for audience tapes in the past, but Fog and Dallas shows some very minor progress.

Six Bachelors and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Can’t wait for the Dallas show to come out so many on here will complain that for whatever reason it isn’t perfect so then they’ll rip it. Good times ahead.

marklamb and Ethan B like this.
  6. JasonMorrison

JasonMorrison New Member

Can we expect the Dallas show this year?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

@Pats Radio
    do you know of an album recorded right around the time of LA Woman featuring Ray, Robby, and/or John? I seem to recall a mention of it in one of the MANY Doors threads and now I can't find any more info.

8. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Not sure if you are serious...since you’re asking Pat’s....do you mean Other Voices? Or are you thinking about the Paul and Georgia album from ‘68?

9. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Psychedelic Rangers? heh heh

10. Crossfire#3

Crossfire#3 Forum Resident

'Fan' is a relative term based on one's depth of passion for music (or any of the arts).

11. revolution_vanderbilt

That's it! Obviously I was a bit off about the year.

Was this released in the sixties or was it first released in 2004?

12. revolution_vanderbilt

" Rothschild was particularly interested in the song One More Drink and wanted to give it to a young female artist he produced named Janis Joplin. Paul and Georgia refused, wanting to keep the song for themselves -- a decision they've both regretted to this day. Paul and Georgia recorded two of their songs with The Doors backing them, following the band's rehearsal. Ray Manzarek, John Densmore and Robbie Krieger are featured on the tracks One More Drink and Hopi. "

Ok, so presumably this was indeed in 1970, as Rothschild was working with Joplin at the time.

Thanks @Quasimodo for helping me. It's been bugging me for a week now.

@Six Bachelors

I'll stop derailing the thread now!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  13. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

I had the same observation. Much of LMF may not have been filmed and they flew in bits from other songs for visual coverage. A lot of the time when Jim is singing, one gets the impression the visual is from another song. Well, at least they were able to fill in the visual gaps in a somewhat convincing way. Has it been confirmed if Roadhouse Blues and Ship of Fools were not filmed at all?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

Feel free to buy me a new copy.

15. I've been asked if the BD is available with CD. I looked it up on Amazon and it appears that the DVD is available singularly or with a CD but the BD is just on its own without CD option. Am I correct?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

amazon has a blu ray/cd combo

SteveM likes this.
  17. According to Amazon UK at least, the BD is "1 disc" and does not include a CD. There are listings for a DVD ("1 disc") and DVD/CD combo ("2 discs") wherein you can actually see the words "DVD + CD" in the top left hand corner of the cover artwork. Can you please point to a link on Amazon for the BD + CD combo? Thanks!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

https://www.amazon.com/Live-Isle-Wi...rd_wg=5Kevt&psc=1&refRID=0AB1YHTMPAMRFQDX3MNZ

SteveM and reb like this.
  19. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

its not hate, its distaste toward tampering with legacy. I guess when the bar is repeatedly lowered, nobody cares to rise above it.

tedg65, supermd, Buda and 4 others like this.
  20. Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

It’s THEIR legacy, if they’re OK with doing it, I’m guessing you should too.

22. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

I am in no way a Doors fan but this is too good to pass up just on it's historic significance ... great price too, just pre ordered. Who knows it might make me a fan.

23. Believe me, I'm always warm to the idea of anyone becoming a Doors fan, so I hope you enjoy the show but what do you mean exactly by "it's historic significance"?

anastasios likes this.
  24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

How does lossy audio on the Blu-Ray, incorrect song order on the CD, wrong aspect ratio on the film exactly make for a superior product? All for no reason or possible benefit?

supermd, Shawn, Six Bachelors and 3 others like this.
  25. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Most of the guys on this forum, me included, prefer authenticity, whether it's posthumous releases by The Doors, Jimi Hendrix, The Beatles or anyone. That's why the Bright Midnight releases are so highly rated here. I personally much prefer the un-cropped, overdubbed footage without fake applause. If you don't mind about a few tweaks, so be it. That's perfectly fine. But don't start telling people they are wrong, when it's just a matter of taste.

I'm glad the IOW show is finally getting released, and i pre-ordered it from the States, because i want the CD-BD -combo.

supermd, Shawn, anastasios and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.