The Doors Live at Isle of Wight 1970, to be released in 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by spyder52, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm not sure if the motorcycle sounds are on the CD but given that the CD follows the same resequencing, I'll bet it's exactly the same as the video soundtrack. They seem to think that the more screwing they do with these releases, the better they make them. It's really bizarre and a real shame.

2. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Absolutely, the Doors camp gives us intensive and free courses on how to screw archive releases properly.

3. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

And just think, fans were aggravated with the audio manipulation for the Hollywood Bowl release. Looks like this release takes it to another level.

Six Bachelors, Matthew Tate and Buda like this.
  4. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I tried to register but it asked where Jim was born. I tried everything. FL, FLA, Melbourne, FL, Florida, United States. It rejected them all and then locked me out. What answer do they want?

5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, this sounds way worse, but I'm still more bummed about Hollywood Bowl. I like that film and they really botched it. I'm fine with the filling in the missing audio elements but the cropping bugs me and the NR on the video is a travesty. The reverb on Jim's vocals is also pretty bad. Not to mention they just reused the old 44/16 transfer of the multis. If the tape was damaged and they couldn't do a new hi-res transfer, then ok, but this was never address as far as I know. I just remember Bruce giving some explanation about how it becomes true hi-res after he mixes it.

6. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

I got mine today. Its bad. Motorcycle sounds and ultra fake crowd noises.

I'm listening to Backstage and Dangerous now and putting this on the trade pile.

rnranimal likes this.
  7. Daniel Falaschi

Oh come on people, it`s business!!!

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Motorcycle on the CD, too?

Is the band introduction really after the first song? That's just beyond dumb.

9. Buda

Buda Forum Resident

Incompetent bastards led by Jeff Jampol. Congratulations! Grrrrr....

10. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

my net cost for the br is $14.25.........letting it ride.........no pun intended.

11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Complainers complaining again. So hilarious! How surprising! I'm dying laughing!

I'm hoping if we cover all his responses, he won't need to post.

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Don't compare the two. "Dishonest" though it may be, the 1997 set, specifically the "Live" In New York disc, is a fun release. This... this is just bizarre.

13. Daniel Falaschi

No worries, in maybe 20 years we will get the recently discovered non-motorcicled IOW tapes!!!!!

14. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

But only part of them will be released at that time. :uhhuh:

15. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

In this case, I really hate that we are right ... what is so hard about at least giving us the correct sequencing on a CD?

16. masswriter

I never understood the criteria behind "backstage and dangerous" when it was recorded on the stage and relatively mild . . . I love the recording though.

17. So glad I didn't order this trash, just not a fan of all the fakery and frankensteining. I'm happy with the bootleg that's been around for years. I think it sound really good.

rockclassics likes this.
  18. masswriter

I pray to god that nobody tampers with Jim's film, HWY whenever ifever it is released.

Six Bachelors and Buda like this.
  19. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Oh, man....they need to hand that over to Criterion. Or let zoo monkeys do it, at least the monkeys aren't familiar with Doors Management practices. Monkey's won't put the word "Dionysian" on the cover.

20. masswriter

My worry is that they will soundtrack it with Doors songs to commodify it. Like it or not, it was Jim's pet project deliberately created without the band. I cringe that the band took his poetry and cut and paste lines out of context and managed to insert "Roadhouse Blues" in order to create the illusion that it was a Doors album.

It works in places but again, it was Jim's project. Don't tamper with history.

Shawn, rnranimal and asdf35 like this.
  21. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I'm listening to it via Spotify, and there really is that silly motorcycle and tons of fake applause. What the heck were they thinking?

This could have been a fascinating document, but instead we got this phoney thing.

22. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Is this yet another Doors release that tricky to find at stores up in Canada? 3 stores couldn't even find it on the online ordering sheets from distributors when I asked about special orders. I wanted to see reviews before buying.

How's the film sync coverage on BDM/SOF?

What exactly is the audio source on the Blu?

1080i or 1080p video quality for the performance?

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I had this thing pre-ordered way back when just in case it turned out to be a quality project. After reading about the audio manipulation and re-sequencing, I happily and without hesitation cancelled my pre-order and will not look back. Every time this band screws up an archival release, it doesn't seem like they can top it, yet they top it time and time again. It is baffling that anyone associated with The Doors can support such third-rate execution.

24. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Now, Jim clearly "sabotaged" that session, but even so, the rest of the band were off too. They've carried Jim in far worse states. The whole concept works in theory, but in reality, most bands won't be able to muster anything approaching the level of performing they produce for a concert when there is no audience. Add in their cynicism, and the whole thing was destined to fail. And there was no "incentive." Balls-out moments like Roadhouse Blues or the LA Woman album certainly were aided by the addition of some additional musicians. Not that the band couldn't play without them, but that they were less likely to get that drive or inspiration without them.

Backstage and Dangerous is fun in part because of how shambolic and off-kilter it is. And of course, hearing the band's early framework for Morrison Hotel.

PacificOceanBlue and masswriter like this.
  25. I’ve still got this on order for a good price, but am second-guessing myself on keeping the order. Concerned how the blown-up picture will look on a 65” screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.