The Doors - Live CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by snowman, Aug 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi,
    I currently have The Doors - In Concert CD 1991 USA, which I think sounds pretty good....maybe a bit sharp in the treble at loud volumes/headphones. (Arent they All!!!!) :mad: It says it's remastered by P A Rothchild and B Botnick.
    I wondered if anyone knows if the 'Absolutely Live' CD, which is basically the first CD of 'In concert', is remastered or contains the original mix?
    Whilst on the subject, anyone heard any other Doors live CD's?
    Bright Midnight;Live in America being a recent release, and I have also seen 'Live in Hollywood - Aquarius' available... hand-picked tracks by the surviving Doors & culled from two shows at the Aquarius Theatre in Hollywood in July 1969.
    Any info much appreciated,
    Thanks, Snowman.

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I now have both Aquarius CD sets, and the rehersals.

WONDERFUL sets. Get them! Love the performances.

Yes, the Absolutely Live CD is an almost-mirror of the Doors In Concert CD set, however "Close To You" is thrown on the 2nd CD of "In Concert", as ya know.

I haven't bothered getting "Absolutely Live". The "In Concert CD" is fine.

The rehersals CD is great. Lots of goofing around and stage chatter.

3. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member

I have all the Bright Midnight Live CDs and the Live in Detroit is a must have IMO. Great versions of LMF and Lizard.

4. hoboken lad

hoboken lad New Member

I agree with Larry: the Doors "Live In Detroit" is killer. Since they left in all the audience reaction between songs as well as Morrison's "pithy" comments, you really get a sense of a Doors show from that period. Brought back a lot of memories.

5. snowman

snowman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the info guys. I haven't seen the Live in Detroit.
    Cheers, Snowman.

6. nivek29

nivek29 New Member

Aquarius 2nd Perfomance is by far the best release. I would recommend this over Detroit.

7. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

I don't think it's a sonic masterpiece by no means but Alive, She Cried has its moments. This is one of the first CDs I bought in the mid 80s (MIJ c.'83). It spans 1968-1970 and the songs are from concerts in LA, NY, Detroit, Boston and Copenhagen. Classic Morrison anyway.

8. nivek29

nivek29 New Member

alive she cried features copious studio overdubs and edits made in 83. not recommended.

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I agree with nivek29, now. I just got the 2nd performance at the Aquarius. Better than the 1st by far.

The "Rehersals" among the other Bright Midnight discs have theuncut versions of a lot of what appeared on "Alive She Cried", even a longer version of "Gloria" with more umm... more Morrison goodness.

Seriously though, Rehersals is great. Try it!!

10. Highway Star

Highway Star New Member

'Gloria' was probably edited at the time to get radio airplay. I recall hearing it on the radio numerous times when the album came out. I like Jim and the boys a lot, but their live stuff has never appealed to me very much. It is entertaining to watch them perform live though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.