The Doors - Live Releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Mar 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Why always so passive/aggressive in your responses? Adam Bosman asked for known alterations to IOW and SoundAdvice responded with a concise list. Why do you feel the need for these insulting posts that add nothing of substance to the dialog?

Talk about 'romper room' antics.

2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Yeah...what happened to the civility? He is back to the rude, childish condescension, and he is the reason these threads keep getting shut down.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Yet other Doors video releases didn't have CDs and Europe doesn't get the bonus IOW CD package. Eagle Rock have pushed the Blu/CD format on other acts to push the price point with perceived added value.

I've mentioned a couple times in this thread that I've seen all "free" clips online, half the show, and all the other songs in audio only format. IOW is like Doors t-shirts/Doors solo albums/any Doors concert event with Ray that played my market: I'm not buying.

It's clear the Fog box and 50th debut box had sales issues and exclusion from the bottom reaches of the US charts are factual proof. Never any supply issues, Japan 50th box dropped the vinyl and the SD 50th set was streamlined. I do wonder if word got out on IOW. Even serious reviews of are somewhat hard to find compared to other recent music blu-rays. No one has even listed the exact audio quality, just 96k printed on the back of the box.

The RSD Matrix Sampler from 2017 sold 15,000 copies in one day and goes for a premium on discogs. There's no evidence even half those same people wanted IOW/Fog/either 50th set. I've never even seen the SD50th in person and all the Fog boxes I see in stores still have the 2016 price stickers still on them since they are numerically dated.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Pats Radio

Pats Radio A Doors Enthusiast

Moving forward.

5. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

What are the choices? Are there live shows in the vault that fans do not know about? I've heard rumors about a Copenhagen '68 stage tape. That would be nice. Has Jeff reconsidered his policy about obtaining material from tape owners? Goes without saying a 1967 soundboard would be nice.

Honestly though, at this point nothing should come before the Matrix Box. I think recent banned threads regarding Matrix (if nothing else) should serve as a loud message that fans are not happy with how it is being handled.

Can we at least agree that it is time to release the real deal? No more sampler b.s.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Matthew Tate, asdf35 and Doggiedogma like this.
  6. Pats Radio

I agree no other live shows should come out before Matrix. However, if they decided to put one out in let’s say July and then put the Matrix out for a more friendly holiday season Nov/Dec release I would be ok with that.

7. Kat Records

Kat Records Forum Resident

Stockholm 68 box set, or another 68 show

Matthew Tate, Pats Radio and asdf35 like this.
  8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I wish there was a soundboard (or a great audience recording) of a crazy 1968 Doors show. I still can't believe how crazy Jim was at shows immediately before and after the Hollywood Bowl. He made the Bowl fun, but that show was totally professional compared to the atmosphere of the May and July '68 audience tapes.

Dodoz and JuanTCB like this.
  9. Doggiedogma

Doggiedogma "Think this is enough?" "Uhh - nah. Go for broke."

So I just played IoW on Spotify, to see what the hubbub was all about, and. yeah, the added snare drum on Roadhouse Blues is really jarring to me. It sounds out of place and artificial, It ruins the song for me and that stinks! the canned audience cheers is lol, but I can deal with that, not a problem for me. The added snare is just too loud and canny, there was no need for this IMO. Oh well....

effectfreak, Matthew Tate and asdf35 like this.
  10. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

The Singer Bowl tape isn't completely awful. I wish the superior 2nd source circulated, though.

Anyway, listening to the tape you really hear the hostility and sense of danger in the audience. It's no wonder the show ended up with a riot.

asdf35 likes this.
  11. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Sounds good.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That sounds like the old days of BMA.

Matthew Tate and Pats Radio like this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...even the RSD Matrix Sampler for 2018, as evidenced by the tracklisting was obviously, initially compiled for the SD50th, but due to poor sales of the debut 50th, they abandoned trying to peddle the same format/configuration. These anemic sales are obviously the result mismanagement. They really need to fire that deceitful clown. I wonder how much money they lost on that Fog debacle.

14. Pats Radio

Strange Days 50th wasn’t the same as debut for several reasons and none because of poor sales. Stories take on lives of their own on here. One person says it and it floats all over as true. That’s inaccurate.

15. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

I enjoy the Fog release a lot. I love the 10” vinyl record and the cd. The sound quality is amazing,beyond what I ever expected. The first 50th release was done very nice. They do nice work when they want to with the packaging. SD 50th is just a cardboard digit pack. They should have packaged that like the first release,but,I am happy I purchased it. I am looking forward to the Waiting for the Sun 50th release.

16. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Okay...let's hear those reasons. I'm sure it's just a mere coincidence that the 2018 RSD Matrix release has the SD tracklisting.

Matthew Tate, Cokelike- and Shawn like this.
  17. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

The new Matrix release has Summers Almost Gone and a partial The End cut. What difference does it make if it “Could” have been released with the SD 50th? The Matrix will be released next month,and on LP,much better than a cd.IMO

18. Kat Records

btw, isnt july the 50th anniversary of WFTS? should be great a deluxe release with stockholm 68 shows

19. Kat Records

i still don't understand why SD 5th doesn't have the same packaging of doors 50th,

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Flynbryan

Flynbryan Forum Resident

The first release was very nice. I’m very happy with the packaging. SD was a nice digi pack. I’m just not a fan of the cardboard digi packs. They definitely should have done it just like the first release.

Kat Records likes this.
  21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm glad I picked up the Fog release. The packaging is great and I enjoy the short CD. I wish they'd do something as nice with the Matrix.

22. I really hope any bonus material for a 50th of WFTS is directly related to the album (studio outtakes, alt. mixes, demos, etc.). While I’d love a Stockholm release, it shouldn’t be part of a studio album anniversary set.

23. Kat Records

i understand your point, but s the last 50th releases i don't expect nothing new from studio, a live show would be really cool, Stockholm shows includes material from WTFS album

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

The difference it makes is that it is indicative of the mismanagement and shoddy treatment of the material.
    Really? "The Matrix" will be released next month? Is that the complete recordings? I'm just curious...how many times are you willing to be exploited and buy the same material over and over again?
    Why do you compromise your integrity to be an apologist?

budwhite and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Nor should the Matrix recordings be treated in such a manner, but here we are.
    Don't worry, I'm sure they will figure out a deceitful way to try and make us buy the Stockholm material more than once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.