The Doors s/t debut Stereo Gold Monarch Pressing

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Cassius, Jun 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach Thread Starter

As advertised, absolutely kills.
    Best I've ever heard it.
    Buy in any condition, I Miracle cleaned this VG copy and is playing like a champ.
    I would be hard pressed to believe that it wasn't cut from the masters back in 67 as the recording has incredible presence.

I love Steve's DCC CD I have, but with more invested in my analog rig, this is the one that makes Jim and Robbie come alive.

FWIW The majority of Gold/Brown originals I see in Colorado are copy tape Columbia NYC parts, made in Terra Haute (sp?)

C

2. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

What is Gold Monarch?

3. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

Fortunately, back when I was buying these the Columbias were in a minority here in the West. I only ever bought one.

Wonderful listening in almost any condition. You get an idea of the impact of The Doors that you don't get from a later pressing, and for me that's what it's all about.

4. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

In this instance, the Elektra label sheets used to press onto the records were printed in gold sheen ink (instead of the matte-finish ochre color Columbia pressings used); Monarch was a reference to the plant that pressed that copy, Monarch Record Mfg. Co. in Los Angeles. Incidentally, Monarch pressed LP's for Elektra up to the first few months of the "butterfly" label in 1970.

5. RedRaider99

RedRaider99 Forum Resident

My Strange Days seems to fit that description...it has "(Mon-1)" written and an "MP" stamp in the deadwax. Is that Monarch?

If so, any opinions on that title?

6. Cassius

Yes that's a Monarch press Red.

For other folks reading and wondering,
    Here's what they look like. A copy that sold last week. Note the lack of Gold Record RIAA that was later added to the art. Also these early copies have more of a matte type finish to the jacket, and show more wear than the waxier, newer ones you see later.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/DOORS-s-t-ELEKT...7158826?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3cb8b8d5aa

7. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

The stamp was "MR," not "MP" - apparently, as it was stamped, the ending appendage to the "R" didn't come up. But yes, it was indeed Monarch.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, the Monarch pressed originals slay all other comers. They are also generally better pressed and mastered. The Columbia Terre Haute made East Coast copies are usually a little veiled sounding to my ears. The ARC (Allentown Record Corporation) East Coast pressings are good but often noisy.

9. mannymarks

mannymarks New Member

I doesn't compare but I have a really dynamic and clear sounding Spanish pressing of this album I picked up in 1980, sure beats the butterfly and later red label copies.

10. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

tempting but my perception 5.1 dvd-a is too damn sweet >.>

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I have 2 gold Monarch mono copies that rock. I have a gold stereo copy but it has AL in the deadwax. I assume that is Allentown. Clay(or anyone else) have you compared Monarch mono's to stereo's?

12. MikeyH

MikeyH Stamper King

"The Doors" mono sounds wonderful, but is not the same as the stereo.

13. prof. stoned

prof. stoned Forum Member

Not bothered by the distortion?

14. Cassius

The mono mix is cool, but is cut so hot that it doesn't occur to me to put it on when I want to hear that album. I enjoy putting it on every now and then, but not a go to source.

15. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Not all Monarchs were created the same either. The very first cutting with an (M) only lacks the compression and EQ of all subsequent pressings - it essentially parallels the balance & tone of the DCC gold CD Steve did so well. More open sound stage, warmer, more dynamic. Apparently both the debut and Strange Days were initially cut with the master tape (or maybe a copy of the master) then a LEDO tape was made and all subsequent copies were made off that.

16. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

My best sounding Doors s/t LP is a Gold label "1A" that is machine-stamped. There is a "T" in the deadwax.

I'd be much obliged if anyone has any information on the "T" stamp.

I'll have to search for a Monarch now.

17. Raunchnroll

Columbia's Terre Haute IN plant. Most of the stuff pressed there seems to be made from a copy tape. Perhaps someone like W.B. knows what their story is. From what I gather it was used to facilitate additional pressing capacity from Columbia's east & west coast plants (and the Nashville plant?).

18. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I will compare this to my other Gold label copy with an "(AB)" in the deadwax.

Seems I get all the "lesser" copies here on the East Coast.

Ken

19. Raunchnroll

I've begun to notice this. Hearing east coast and mid west friends finding west coast pressings to be the exception rather than the norm.

20. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member

The stereo Monarch is the pressing to have. It hot, clear, and dynamic. It's also hard to find.

21. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

I guess I've got early Monarch stereo and mono copies. The stereo copy has a (M) and the mono has a (Mon), in addition to an MR inside a circle

22. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

Just wanted to bring this thread back to life. Found a Monarch today for $18 in VG condition and even though it has crackling, it sounds fantastic. Great bass, highs. It's like I've never heard the album before.

It has a (M) in the deadwax. I assume that stands for Monarch.

23. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Not sure what you guys are referring to, but the Doors S/T mono I have is the old "gold" Elektra and it is mono, but is not printed on the vinyl label. And, it's not too shabby sounding either.

24. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i decided to replace my doors perception dvd-a with a mono vinyl rhino reissue....

on my stereo i use the nueral equalizer which makes the album sort of a 3.0 channel mix....love the way it sounds...thats my new way to hear it...
    only bad thing about it is on the end towards the middle it sounds like a change in mix for a min...

people on this forum make fun of me for using those preset equalizers on my reciever but damn..sounds good.

25. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I really enjoyed the Doors self titled stereo reissue. The Monarch has a slightly warmer sound, but the Rhino sounds great to me. I'd love to get the mono version, is it very different from the stereo mixes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.