The Eagles Touring With Glenn Frey's Son - You In ???

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GroovyGuy, Aug 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

The cheapest seats at the show in Philadelphia (I was going to go with my best friend who lives there) start at $90 plus fees and that is at the very top of the stadium, which, in the words of my friend "are great if you want to see a beautiful view of Philadelphia, but don't care what is happening on the field", LOL. Sad that we saw Springsteen there a few years ago and we sat on the actual field about twenty rows back, for little over $80 a ticket. Henley should be boycotted for charging these ridiculous prices!

2. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I know, but Frey in particular seemed to follow the Gene Simmons model and put down Felder at every public opportunity. By the time of History of the Eagles, he was like a pro wrestler doing a ‘shoot interview’ - and he seemed to relish, ala Simmons, playing himself up as a cartoon of mercenary greed - Scrooge McDuck with a Guitar.

3. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Exactly right. And at the time Frey likely knew what he was up against, and that's how he wanted the Eagles mythology to be maintained.

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

When I saw Bruce in Philly 2016, I paid close to $200 for GA on the field. Pricey, but at least I was pretty close to the stage!

Christopher B likes this.
  5. Christopher B

Christopher B Forum Resident

Are there any readily available Eagles concerts from their heyday in the 70s ? I became a fan of theirs after they had broken up the first time. I was very young at the time so I didnt know of them till later. Id rather listen to the classic lineup than what is around today.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I saw a commercial about the upcoming Eagles concert at the Boston Garden. It showed footage and it seemed weird seeing Glenn Frey's son playing with the "old timers". Wish I'd seen the Eagles back in the late 70's. I have no interest in paying the high ticket prices to see them with the current lineup.

Christopher B and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

There’s the official release of the 1977 Capital Centre concert which was the 3rd disc of the “History of the Eagles” documentary. Unfortunately it only contains 8 songs. It periodically shows up on YT.

There are less-than-official releases of a 1974 Don Kirshner Concert, a 1974 video of the California Jam, a 1973 BBC show, a 1973 Voorburg Netherlands concert, and a 1972 Central Park show. These also show up on YT and Daily Motion from time to time.

8. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

9. GoodKitty

GoodKitty Om

IMO it's basically "Don Henley's Eagles" now .... and I have almost no interest in experiencing it.

If Bernie was still involved I feel it would have much more credibility; it'd be interesting to know if that was an option for him....
    And of course I wish that post-Glenn there could be a reconciliation with Felder (and who knows, very unlikely but maybe someday that can still happen).
    I understand Vince Gill is a real talent ... but I'm not a fan and his addition does nothing for me... With Steuart Smith still there it seems Gill is really under-utilized as a guitarist (but maybe I'm wrong about that).

I'm certainly a longtime fan of Joe Walsh and I'd be happy to see him any time but preferably outside of Eagles... I grew weary of "Funk 49" and "Rocky Mountain Way" being in Eagles setlists, a bit less so for "Life's Been Good"... I'd much prefer "Help Me Through The Night" and other gems of his .... Post-Glenn I wish Joe could have an expanded role and even sing a couple of Glenn's songs ... ditto that for Tim Schmidt ...

I wish I had been able to attend the History Of The Eagles tour; I was really pleased that Bernie came back for that one ... but now I'll settle for the memories of seeing them in 1979 (as a 14 year old) and then much later in 2005 ....

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
    Christopher B and Matthew Tate like this.
  10. I caught the tour last night and, despite moderate expectations, I was blown away.

Vince Gill sounded great and natural covering most of the Glenn/Randy vocals. The band was dressed down in jeans/cowboy boots and with Glenn gone, they were Democratic terms of talking to the crowd. I didn’t feel like it was the Henley show by any stretch. He played drums for 70% of the set. No Frey/Henley solo material and they paced the evening well. 2.5 hours of grade A repertoire.

Vocals were great and the sound mix was phenomenal.

11. Witchy Woman

Don Henley announces the Forum concerts are being recorded for a possible box set.

“The production was filmed and recorded on Wednesday, as will the Forum shows on Friday and Saturday, for a likely release as a box set, Henley said. But the cameras were mostly unobtrusive: a pair on dolly tracks along the front of the stage moved back and forth by remote control, and one affixed to a crane occasionally soared high or swooped above the stage. There was a bit more muted light on the audience for most of the night, so if you were there, or will be, you can try to spot your blue-tinted face in the crowd.”

It’ll be interesting to see what else will be included.

The Eagles celebrate their legacy with new members in the first of three Forum shows – Daily News

Matthew Tate and vitorbastos123 like this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I can see why he is doing it because he wants to promote the new era of the band, but it seems a bit strange to ignore all of the unreleased Glenn Frey era recordings with the band. The band allegedly filmed and recorded during the History of The Eagles tour, Glenn's last tour, and one with an eclectic set-list with special guest Bernie Leadon. At the very least, a DVD/CD project from that tour should have been released after Glenn's passing.

13. teag

teag Forum Resident

Too bad about the Eagles. They made some good albums. Now they are a charade.

14. vitorbastos123

vitorbastos123 Forum Resident

They have at least 6 shows from the Hell Freezer Over tour completely filmed (NYC, London, Dublin, Melbourne, Hawaii.. that’s just what definetely was filmed and used for various tv news in the 90’s and the official documentary). But they probably will never release any of it, since Felder is on it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Witchy Woman

I understand there were cameras at the HOTE concerts but has it been verified they recording the shows for commercial release?

At any rate, it’s possible it was Frey who didn’t want any footage released, maybe b/c of his illness. It does seem like a missed opportunity.

16. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

Frey's kid held his own -- and he looks just like his old man circa Desperado. Surprisingly pleased with the show.
    And I actually think "the Boys of Summer" would have been great in the set if they performed it.

Matthew Tate and vitorbastos123 like this.
  17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

One of the rumored provisions in the settlement agreement with Felder is that there would be archival and/or commercial product released that he would receive a share in the revenues, so it is not inconceivable that at some point, a HFO period show will be issued. Don Felder's presence did not stop Henley from releasing the live disc on the "Hotel California" anniversary releases, a live disc that showcased a lot of Felder. That said, I doubt Henley is in any rush to release another Don Felder associated release, so your point is well taken.

The Eagles (Henley and Frey in particular) were businessmen, and there is no way they let the HOTE tour go by without preserving some shows for the archives and a possible future release, that is why the cameras were there. There were likely no immediate plans for a release coming off the heels of the HOTE documentary and DVD release, plus Frey was planning on a "Hotel California" anniversary tour to take place the year of his passing (that was to coincide with the box set that got delayed).

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  18. vitorbastos123

They did perform it at the Forum for the recorded concerts!

Witchy Woman and Matthew Tate like this.
  19. peter

peter Senior Member

I saw the Eagles in 1980 and in 1994. For me, no Frey and no Felder equals no Eagles. They were flawless both times.

Christopher B likes this.
  20. vitorbastos123

Im actually wondering if this box set Henley is planning with this new recorded gigs at the Forum, will be a part of a package featuring gigs from all the eras, and maybe they will finally include concerts from the past like the Giants in 1994 or Staples Center New Year's eve 1999. It makes sense to me!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'm fine without Felder, but Eagles without Frey would be like Stones without Keith...

22. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

I was at the Forum on Friday. At one point Henley told the crowd the show was being filmed and to please sit down for the moment, that there would be time later to "boogie". Concert was well done...Henley promised 2 and one half hours of music and delivered, with no intermission. Visuals were very creative and they played well together. Joe Walsh was really on fire and they gave him a lot of songs to play. "Boys of Summer" was fantastic and showcased Henley's strengths. But still the lack of Glenn was noticeable. His son has a pleasant voice but not as distinctive as his father. It worked better in harmonies than when he had to sing lead. But as Henley said at the beginning, when he quoted Joni Mitchell, "Well something's lost, but something's gained."

Witchy Woman likes this.
  23. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

It made Sprite come out of my nose!

24. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

Nah. Not the same without the key players. Although would be tempted to go just for Joe.

25. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

IMO, the Eagles have flown and are not coming back....I could never afford an Eagles show nor at this stage would I want to, but if ppl have no problem paying I see no reason they should not enjoy the show...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.