The Edsel Robert Palmer remasters

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mikaal, Aug 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Ah, I see...thanks for the info

2. mjb5310

mjb5310 Forum Resident

Maybe, maybe not. LAME lowpassing at 18 KHz for certain settings only means that the 16-18 KHz range is open for possible inclusion on a frame-by-frame basis. You could still observe a 16 KHz cutoff even though the input was lowpassed higher than that. Even if it was lowpassed at 16, that doesn't mean a poor encoder was used, or even an old one.

Due to MP3's "sfb21 problem," encoders won't bother with 16+ KHz material unless they've deemed it worth preserving—e.g., there's something there, it's not masked, there are bits to spare. Essentially, in order to have an acceptable quality level in the 16+ KHz band, all the other bands have to have their quality level increased as well, which means using a lot more bits that may not actually be available. In fact, I'd anticipate a brickwalled remaster would have so much loud, distorted signal filling up the lower bands, a sane encoder wouldn't even attempt to waste space on the 16+ KHz range.

3. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Malina likes this.
  5. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Sorry, I somehow managed to overlook that! I guess I was expecting more posts on the subject. Was new "corrected" cds issued by Edsel?

6. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Not sure but I don't think so....someone correct me if I'm wrong but there has been little response from them at all...apart from initially when someone from the company dismissed the complaints in a rather condescending manner

7. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Edsel only pressed and released what "They were given". Did they go the extra mile to improve these albums....

8. mocarob

mocarob Well-Known Member

What tool are you using in this pic? it doesn't look like my Tau Analyzer.. I would like to check out individual files too..

9. mocarob

I know this is an old topic but I tested my original Island Riptide CD using Tau and tracks 6 & 7 come up as having mpeg artifacts.. Frequency drops off just over 20k..
    Overall the cd was still deemed a CDDA disc..

10. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Are you sure they're MPEG artifacts? Samplers were likely used on Riptide - it was the '80s after all - and most early samplers did very strange things . . . like operate at 8-bits and 22kHz. That stuff would certainly demonstrate "artifacts" if you analyzed the signal...

11. mocarob

I wouldn't know. All I did was test the cd using Tau Analyzer. It said Tracks 6 & 7 have mpeg artifacts.

12. freemanl

freemanl Bass Lover

I bought all of the Esdel/Robert Palmer releases before the mp3-sourced debacle was revealed.
    Seeing this thread pop up again is like opening the wound. :mad:

sunspot42 likes this.
  13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I would be SOOOOOOO pissed...

14. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

Sorry for reopening the wound but were these remasters ever fixed?

15. botley

botley Forum Resident

No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.