The Equalizer (2021)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by John B Good, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

The Equalizer. My wife noticed this program advertised and wondered if it was a remake of the one featuring Edward Woodward.

I vaguely remember that as a guy who used intelligence rather than guns and sledgehammers to bring a modicum of justice to victims.

Seems this one with Queen Latifah in the role is similar, but with current technology and lots of heavy weaponry involved.

We missed the first episode but will try a few more episodes. .

2. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

They're only 2 eps in I think. Saw both. I'll stick around to see how it progresses.

She's not as much of a lone (edited from loan!) wolf in this one. But I haven't seen the original series in years, but I did watch it a lot back then.

As with most remakes, my advice to anyone with an over fondness of the original would be to give this one a miss. : )

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
  3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Is a loan wolf similar to a lone shark? :)

Simon A, YardByrd and eddiel like this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

lol I corrected it but I left a note.

5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

What absolute terrible advice!!
    How about sharing with people that it may not be your cup of tea, but check it out and see! Let people make up their own minds! Why would you want to deny the privilege to do that??

I've seen both episodes and I like it, looking forward to the next one!

6. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

As St. Christopher once said; sharing is for losers.

I'm posting this as a warning to everyone...if you have a fondness for the original, I will enforce my God given right to deny you the ability to watch this new version. As soon as they lift travel restrictions, I'm coming to your house and you can say bye bye to any TV, computer screen, tablet, phone, etc.

Don't be confused by the smiley face in my previous post because I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer.

You have been warned so watch something else!

7. altaeria

altaeria Forum Resident

When I think Action, I think Queen Latifah.

8. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

Totally believable for a fat chick(politically correct term would be "pleasantly plump person with ovaries") to beat up a gang of hoodlums Matrix style!

hifisoup, FVDnz and Scott222C like this.
  9. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

Talk to the hand!

10. johnod

johnod Forum Resident

First it was a white guy, then a black guy,now a black woman.
    I'm holding out for the gender fluid, non binary version.
    The Equitizer.
    Maybe next year.

11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I was under the impression that this took more from the movies with Denzel than the TV show. I haven't watched the two episodes on the DVR yet but will soon. I like Ms Latifa.

willy, eddiel, Phil147 and 1 other person like this.
  12. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

^This

13. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Ignore the delusional, keep your open mind, and enjoy the art for what it is! We can have the total fantasy of Wonder Woman but some how it's wrong for Queen Latifah to play a high skilled agent?! Angelina Jolie in Salt, Black Panther's female guards, Black Widow and how many Femme Fatale movies?
    I just don't see the problem?

14. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

Solid show

willy likes this.
  15. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Yes any connection to the original TV show can only be in the title and the high level concept itself.

For a certain generation of us The Equalizer = Edward Woodward and for some of that generation it was always possible to imagine that the character of Robert McCall might just have been what a previous popular TV character (in the UK) Woodward played called David Callan turned into in later life.

I've not seen the Denzel Washington movies or this latest TV series so can't comment on them. There is just way too much stuff out there to watch these days!!

16. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah I think it does. I saw both movies and it's definitely more like those than the TV show. I have the original on my "To rewatch list" so I'll get to it eventually.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Gotta say, you're seriously missing out if you haven't seen the Denzel Washington films, they are really really good!

18. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I've liked both episodes so far. Seems to have a decent cast with her.

Been years since I saw the tv show. The 2 movies were very good.

jpelg likes this.
  19. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

i am hoping at some point Kieth DSzarabajka who played Mickey Kostmayer in the original
    can be in a episode !

20. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I really liked the original show with Edward Woodward. The movies...not so much. Yeah there was a lot of action in both but neither one were all that great.

I doubt I’ll bother with this remake. Most of the shows that have been redone I.e., Magnum, Hawaii Five O, etc. are pretty bad compared to the originals...all IMO.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

it's not a bad show at all, but it has the potential to get very repetitive very fast.

if queen latifah succeeds every week, beats down a gang of bad guys every week, and solves someone's dire family issue every week, it will get old.

22. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I never saw the original TV show or movie -- nor am I interested in seeing them. Similar to have never watched the original "Magnum PI" -- but enjoying the reboot.

I have enjoyed the first two episodes and will continue to watch.

Good to see Queen Latifah back in action!

eddiel likes this.
  23. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Doesn't interest me at all. I remember the original series of which I was too young to recall watching many episodes, yet I found the Denzel films entertaining.

After watching Az from HeelvsBabyface's reviews, that's all the entertainment I need, even though he also continues to torture himself watching Batwoman as well. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Now don't get me wrong though - I don't have an issue with gender-swapping characters. I don't mind Queen Latifa as an actress at all. I just don't find her believable in the combat department. Some even would find Higgins in the new Magnum PI questionable but I don't mind. Perdita Weeks is HAWT!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  24. Veronica Mars

Veronica Mars Forum Resident

I think the fact that she is overweight and a lot older compared to the actresses you mention might have something to do with how some people might perceive her casting.
    That said, Woodward probably wore a girdle as he barely looked like he could run down stairs never mind up them.

willy likes this.
  25. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's understandable but still if a very thin women like Angelina Jolie can beat up men that are way bigger and stronger than her... I think the Queen who is bigger and probably much stronger seems even more realistic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.