The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Mainline461 likes this.
  2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

vinyl only

4. Arnold Grove

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016
  5. Mainline461

I'd be up for a Super Deluxe of S/T in a heartbeat with a 5.1 mix, the Clapton mix, A book with the entire photo shoot, a frameable 12x12 picture of the cover, etc. Let It Rain with all it's layers would be stellar in 5.1 ... Slunky wouldn't be half bad either.

6. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Dear Friends, during this Christmas season, may you enjoy the message of hope, love, and peace on Earth. May all of these holiday blessings be yours to keep. Here’s to wishing you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year 2017. Adam.

7. Arnold Grove

And "Let It Rain". Oh, I mean, "Let It SNOW". ;)

Regardless of your weather conditions, be safe and happy at this festive time of year!

John Fell, OneStepBeyond and DoF like this.
  8. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

It is wonderful to read something so sincerely worded and heartfelt in these often trying and uncertain times. Thank you. A very merry Christmas and peaceful and prosperous New Year to all. Ian.

jammincrowe, John Fell and DoF like this.
  9. Mainline461

I listened to both mixes on the deluxe set over the holidays and I must side narrowly overall with Dowd's mix although there are a couple of songs where Delaney's mix is superior, like imo After Midnight. Some of the Delaney mixes suffer from too much reverb on Clapton's vocals imo but I like how Delaney treated the guitar tracks.

10. Big difference in sound/tone here. Doesn't S/T also mark the end of Clapton's trademark Gibson reign and the first album to use (exclusively?) the Fender Stratocaster? I think he was really interested in shedding his image in any way possible and that included his hardware.

11. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Clapton's wailing on Let it Rain had NOTHING on the wailing of the 16 year old wannabees - who had just spent every penny of their summer job dollars on a (no longer inexpensive) Gibson - when they saw the album cover...

mark ab likes this.
  12. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Love these photos, my avatar is another outtake from that session.

13. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

A happy and peaceful new year to all!

Sorry I am a little late but I have been so busy at work that I lost track of this thread.:hide:

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  14. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

After the EC album was released, Clapton did sessions for King Curtis, Doris Troy, Vivian Stanshall, Billy Preston, George Harrison and Ashton, Gardner & Dyke. In August sessions started for the Layla album.

15. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Actually, by the time his solo was album released all those sessions (except for some remaining work for Harrison) were over, as were the ones for Jesse Ed Davis, Jonathan Kelly, Dr. John, The Crickets, P.P. Arnold and Steve Stills. And the Howlin' Wolf sessions. The Dominos also did a session for Leon Russell before they decamped to Miami, and afterward Clapton worked in the studio with John Mayall, the Stones and of course Buddy Guy and Junior Wells. It seems to have been a busy year.

16. kollektionist

I was only trying to reboot this thread by making the jump to the next album : Layla.
    Come to think of it, is there a thread on Clapton's guest sessions anywhere ?

DoF likes this.
  17. DoF

Let's move to 1970: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs with Derek and the Dominos

18. kollektionist

Alright ! A solid classic and arguably Clapton's finest hour. The SQ of this album has been discussed on these pages elsewhere so I won't go into it here any further.
    Plenty of highlights though, not in the least the riff to Layla or the whole song for that matter. After that, anybody else think Thorn tree is rather badly positioned to close the album ?

DoF likes this.
  19. Almost Simon

I didn't put any comments for the eponymous solo album. Even though my avatar is from those sessions I wouldn't call it a huge fave of mine. Its good and Eric's singing is the most confident heard to date on record. Some great tunes, After Midnight, Let It Rain/She Rides, Easy Now, Blues Power, Bottle of Red Wine.

Although typing these words now makes me want to play the record!

I would like to hear the EC mix, will hunt that down. I have the cd, since traded I think when the Deluxe Edition came out, plus the vinyl.

I really like Teasin' with King Curtis. Think I first heard that on The History of Eric Clapton LP.

(Goddam, I can see this thread is going to encourage to go and play my 70's EC favourites again. Still my favourite Clapton era:cool:.)

20. Almost Simon

I like Thorn Tree. Its a really nice end after Layla, cant imagine it would work elsewhere.

I'm so used to the tracklisting order that I couldn't imagine it if it was changed. That would fry my brain too much.

ailgin, rgutter and Mainline461 like this.
  21. Almost Simon

My alltime favourite album for many a year, perhaps now All Things Must Pass is challenging it, sometimes beats it depending on my mood but I do know that my alltime top 3 is very Clapton - Layla, ATMP and 461 Ocean Boulevard. Love all three!!

But back to Layla. It is a gem. Until I came to the Hoffman boards I never really considered the SQ as being poor. Now I listen it is kind of rough but again I've listened to this album for 30 years (I didn't get into EC until around 1986,) but since then I've played it many, many times.

No real weak links. I love the gentler tracks, Thorn Tree and I Am Yours (always wished Clapton would've done that as part of Unplugged in the 90's, great tune.)

I Looked Away is a lovely starter, then the emotion of Bell Bottom Blues then you're away, straight into Keep on Growing. And from there it flows beautifully. Anyday could possibly me my favourite track.

LP 2 is just as good. Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad, the way that one goes off at a pace then gently quietens as it finishes. Wonderful stuff.

And the cover of Little Wing still remains my favourite Hendrix cover. Put on tape I think 9 days before Jimi passed, would've been great if he'd heard that before he left us. In fact, I don't know the exact details but didn't EC suggest in interview he'd met up with Jimi the night before or a few days before he died? I wonder then if EC had played a tape of the Domino's version to Jimi. The romantic within me would like to think that would've happened however unlikely.

Layla is great but like many radio classics ive heard it too many times. When it comes on the radio I tend to ignore, I now prefer the piano coda to the main part. It is a classic, deservedly so but some records are sadly ruined by being overplayed.

A wonderful record, for me, this and 461 OB are the peak of Clapton, I love most of what came later but Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs is very special to me.

zebop likes this.
  22. kollektionist

I agree it's a fine song. However, for me the album climaxes with Layla part 1 and has its cool-off section with part 2. Either way, it's one of the overplayed songs I have no problem with hearing over & over again.
    The SACD is my go-to version, although the original German 2CD comes close enough for non-SACD equipment. Always had a problem with the vinyl, but could never put my finger on the problem until I read about it here.

Mike Campbell and DoF like this.
  23. DoF

After first full spin - well, it is a mixed bag, I got used to so much to the version of these song done by EC later, that need more listens.

24. Almost Simon

SACD is my preference too. I remember when I first started buying cd's, around 89/90, I looked at both the 461OB cd and Layla. Was frustrated with seeing it was split over 2cd's when album was clearly able to fit on one so I never bought it until the 90's remaster, which I hated, bass heavy. Nasty. So SACD is my preferred.

Altho I do like the 20th anniversary set from 1990. Altho some of the alterations does grate, I do like the "Whoooooo" intro on Keep on Growing. I may have to dig that cd out for a play soon. Has been a while.

25. Almost Simon

Its the call and response vocals between Eric and Bobby that really works. Writing and singing the songs together. That is one collaboration that I wished last far longer than it did. A shame.

PacificOceanBlue and DoF like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.