The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brother Maynard

Brother Maynard Forum Resident

I watched a nearly three hour "Rock Legends" doc the other day on AXS that covered Clapton's 1970's output. Interviewees included guitarist George Terry, a biographer or two, Anthony DeCurtis, and others I don't recall off hand. I found it pretty informative and entertaining, but I also found it interesting that the combined perspectives of these folks seemed to conclude that, after Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs, the rest of his albums from that decade had a decent song or two but were otherwise uninspired. Now, I realize that's also the view of many a music fan, but what's the point of dedicating a lengthy documentary to a decade's worth of albums (live included) if they aren't considered really good by the masses? That's not my view, mind you, but I understand why that opinion is out there. Thoughts?

2. Mainline461

Mainline461 Forum Resident

If you're comparing them to Layla then yes I could possibly see that. But on their own, those are some mighty fine albums ... and comparing them to the other artists albums released during that time and they rise even higher. Layla was a perfect storm.

Almost Simon and Brother Maynard like this.
  3. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Look what I got today, 1978 US pressing of Backless, still sealed, gonna see what's the condition of the record tomorrow:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I would like to see that. I've never seen George Terry interviewed. Don't suppose its available anywhere? Youtube link or suchlike? Would be nice to see.

I love the 70's era, not every album is perfect but for me I wouldn't live without any of them in my collection.

DoF likes this.
  5. Almost Simon

Ooooooh lovely. I do rate Backless highly, again, its not perfect but its had a place in my heart for over 30 years. I still play the vinyl.

I love the cover photo too. I have the tour program from that year folded out to be a larger poster of the cover.

goodboyfred likes this.
  6. Brother Maynard

Lots of time with SHF friend Bobby Whitlock - slipped my mind earlier.

Almost Simon likes this.
  7. Almost Simon

Thank you for posting.

Isn't the Clapton documentary thats been discussed for years supposed to be coming out soon? I read something recently.

8. Brother Maynard

I wasn't aware of the project until you mentioned it. Doesn't appear to be a release date as of yet.

Eric Clapton Documentary 'A Life in 12 Bars' in the Works

9. Brother Maynard

LarsO and Almost Simon like this.
  10. kollektionist

kollektionist Forum Resident

There isn't an album in the world that is "considered really good by the masses". So I guess everybody just has to settle for what "many a music fan" likes.
    But I agree that post-Layla Clapton doesn't really compare to pre-Layla Clapton. Still, "A decent song or two" doesn't really do justice to any of his 70's albums.

11. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Clapton-Radle-Sims-Oldaker! Great lineup :cool:

Almost Simon likes this.
  12. Umbari

Umbari Strange Member

Come on..

13. The trailer mentions Clapton's "exposure to American mavericks The Band". Think I'll pass.

14. Almost Simon

They're doing limited Cinema screenings here in the UK in January. I very nearly sprung for a ticket but decided to hold back. Read some of the reviews and seems it concentrates heavily on the 60's up until Layla. I want it to feature ALL, including the 70s which I love. Not much footage of this era but have decided to wait until it gets shown on TV or is released on DVD/Bluray. I am hopeful it does all it can in showing his career but reviews have me a little concerned.

DoF and Mainline461 like this.
  15. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Love this track my favourite by EC

16. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

I used to have this but have lost it over the years. I'd like to cherry pick the unreleased tracks but can't find a list anywhere of what tracks are unreleased/have been since been released. I have pretty much all of the Clapton deluxe issues to date and would like to get any stray tracks that haven't been rereleased. Could anyone help me out?

17. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

• The Yardbirds tracks are available on various Yardbirds collections, some may have been difficult to find when "Crossroads" was released.
    • The John Mayall rarities "Bernard Jenkins," "Lonely Years" and "Have You Ever Loved A Woman (Live)" are on the Deluxe Edition of "Blues Breakers with Eric Clapton." The former two tracks are also on the single CD reissue as bonus tracks.
    • "Sleeping In The Ground" from Blind Faith is on the CD reissue of the self-titled album and the Deluxe Edition.
    • "After Midnight" (Delaney Bramlett Mix) is on the Deluxe Edition of "Eric Clapton."
    • The "Derek & The Dominos" singles of "Tell The Truth" and "Roll It Over" are on the Deluxe Edition of "Layla & Assorted Love Songs" -- although, IIRC, these are not the exact singles mixes from 1970.
    • "Key To The Highway" and "Crossroads" from the Fillmore East are on the Derek & The Dominos "Live At The Fillmore" compilation, the latter track is also on the Scorsese Blues compilation.
    • The Derek & The Dominos unreleased 2nd album outtakes are on the Deluxe Edition of "Layla & Assorted Love Songs," although in the case of "Got To Get Better In A Little While," the "Crossroads" version remains exclusive because Bobby Whitlock added overdubs to the Deluxe Edition version.
    • "Ain't That Lovin' You" from the "461" sessions is on the Deluxe Edition of "461" and on the "Blues" compilation.
    • The live version of "I Shot The Sheriff" from the Hammersmith is on the "461" Deluxe Edition.
    • "I Found Love" and "Whatcha Gonna Do" are available on the "Give Me Strength" box set.
    • "Someone Like You" B-Side is available on the "Give Me Strength" box set.
    • "Further On Up The Road" from the Hammersmith 4/28/77 may still be exclusive to "Crossroads," someone else can probably verify.
    • "Heaven Is One Step Away" may be exclusive to "Crossroads" (and the long out-of-print "Back To The Future" soundtrack), someone else can probably verify.
    • "Too Bad" B-Side may be exclusive to "Crossroads," someone else can probably verify.
    • "Wanna Make Love To You" from "12 inch "Behind The Mask" single may still be exclusive to "Crossroads," someone else can probably verify.
    • "After Midnight" may still be exclusive to "Crossroads," someone else can probably verify.

18. Dark Horse 77

Thank you so much! From one Clapton fan to another, you've done a great service.

19. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

I had a feeling about this and thought I'd see what the Discogs database throws up... which is a 7" single, released in a few countries. And also a CD 'maxi' single/12" which features an extended version of the track. Can't see any other CD appearances, apart from the maxi...

Eric Clapton - After Midnight (Extended Version)

[​IMG]
    US 7" 45 rpm single sleeve.

Not all of the track timings have been added to the database but it seems that some are the same length as on Crossroads, the extended version is a minute longer and at least one is approx 30 seconds shorter than on the box.

superstar19 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  20. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Very nice. I always liked that remake. Yeah, it has an 80's production that bothers some listeners (frankly, I liked the production), but the remake has a nice bluesy groove and Clapton plays with passion. Not a track that should be easily dismissed.

With regards to some of the other rarities from "Crossroads," I think there are a number of alternate releases that contain some of the songs in question (for example, I think "Sleeping In The Ground" is also the EC Scorsese compilation and the out-of-print Winwood box set, "The Finer Things"). But like above, there are oddities like that single out there with a number of tracks.

Basically, only a couple of songs remain relatively exclusive to "Crossroads."

21. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I too like the After Midnight remix. I have a cassette somewhere with a Clapton show from Detroit in 1989? with Eric & Stevie Ray Vaughan jamming out on remix version.

22. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I have that with a Cream live version of Sunshine Of Your Love that was released at the time.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  23. Almost Simon

Just realising will have to post Life in 12 Bars and get some reviews of that on this thread once its released. Really looking forward to hearing the outtakes, okay, its not many but its a positive.

24. Almost Simon

Always been a big fan of the '87 version. No issues with the production, it stands up well 30 years later.

Crossroads is still my favourite Clapton compilation. I doubt it will ever be bettered. Knowing the later outtakes released on various deluxe editions it could've been even better.

25. Dark Horse 77

Lately I've been trying to compile a list of all the stray tracks from his career that aren't included on the Deluxe Editions that have come out over the years. It's pretty daunting.
    The Behind The Sun album alone has five outtakes that were released on various projects! Only one was included on Crossroads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.