The Eric Clapton album by album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DoF, Dec 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I know it's unlikely but I could sure go for a deluxe reissue of "Another Ticket." I've loved it since 1981 and have long since considered it one of his most under-appreciated albums.

Almost Simon likes this.
  2. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

There's a whole other album of outtakes waiting, checkout "Turn Up Down" sessions, can be found on the net. Check back in this thread, believe I reviewed the unreleased album last year when this thread was running.

JulesRules likes this.
  3. Almost Simon

I've got a CDR copy of these someone burnt for me. Very good.

4. Almost Simon

Bad Love was a written to order hit, didn't Clapton write it with Mick Jones of Foreigner. Not clear on the other tracks being added later, I like this album but perhaps one too many Jerry Williams tunes for one album.

5. Mike Dow

Mike Dow I kind of like the music

I've heard some of that material but the quality wasn't great. Hoping we'll hear full-fidelity versions one day.

6. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

He could a whole cd of live versions of songs or maybe 2 songs per cd like two sides of an album. Badge would be the song Ilike want. He seems to play double trouble a lot live.

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

You know what you are talking about. Clapton may be a legendary name but in the 80's at least there was tons of AOR and light pop he was told he needed to incude on lps by the big brass, it is no big secret folks!

8. All Down The Line

Thanks John as i had only recalled it was at a special venue for the band. Are the cd's worth getting and easily found? Also was Eric refering to his playing on one particular night or just one solo John?

9. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

He could of went to a smaller label and had total control of his output but money talks. Behind The Sun was rejected by Warner Brothers for not being commercial enough so Eric had to go back in the studio with the Los Angeles A Team studio pros to record Forever Man.

DTK likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

I would also include some live blues shows supporting From The Cradle also. Check out covers of Albert and Freddie King plus Groaning The Blues. I think Scorsese captured some hot stuff. Best acoustic for me is on the bonus dvd disc of Sessions For Robert Johnson where the final clip is Eric unacompanied and unadulterated playing Robert J!

MySweetFork and Szeppelin75 like this.
  11. All Down The Line

You must have some nice boots in your collection John.

John Fell likes this.
  12. All Down The Line

I too was thrilled to see a live release of his tour with Derek Trucks a decade before doing so much Layla material. I also have a great boot dvd of Melbourne 07' which is a killer companion to the new cd set! Yep Eric raised his game for sure, I saw the tour in Feb 07' in Brisbane and after one jaw dropping Trucks solo (i think in Little Wing) i was thinking "how does Eric follow that? But he pulled it of" Not everyone loved the set list as they were after more latterday hits but for me it was a Dominos dream come true. The guitars of Eric & Derek took me away though my mind was restlessly wandering as my father had passed away only 2 days previously. Thank you Eric!

crossroads69, Crispy Rob and Mike Dow like this.
  13. All Down The Line

I thought stills played one of the guitar parts in the intro and the brief melodic solo before EC took over?
    Either way Let It Rain is a great song with positively inspired soloing and vocals.
    Blues Power is a concert staple for Eric and interesting lyrically as he ponders if people thought he played R & R. Lovely intro again.
    After Midnight is a great choice, just wish it had a little bit more lead guitar spicing.
    Slunky is a cool stylistic change all around.
    Bad Boy is laid back but not as much as others where he is nearer to slipping of his chair.
    Easy Now is musically and melodically charming and reminds me stylistically of George Harrison.
    Lyrically it is the conversation after Roll It Over, i always said to myself was this really as nakedly direct (with no ambiguity) as it appears to be as it sounds positively post coital.
    Funny anecdote; In late 87' I was 19 and took my older sister to see Clapton even though she was into pop and dance acts. After the show i asked her what she thought of the music & concert to which she replied; "It was ok but he does not have any sex appeal!"
    I thought WT!

laf848 likes this.
  14. All Down The Line

True but i am glad he did Forever Man as his playing is like he's a Bluesbreaker. Nice Winwood got him to revisit it too!

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Anyone have an idea, or opinion on this ? Got buried deeply on the previous page, once I posted it.

16. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I read somewhere that Stills played some of the bass on Let It Rain. This was when Clapton brought the tapes back to England after the Los Angeles sessions. Stills also wanted to add different layers to Easy Now but EC liked it sparse. Always thought Clapton & Stills should of done more together back then. Go Back Home, Fishes And Scorpions, Let It Rain.

Tom Daniels likes this.
  17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Release date is Sept. 28th. I've sent an e-mail to Reprise, asking if this will use the 2010 Chris Bellman mastering. My CD is extremely bright, and I'd love to hear this album sound the way I'd prefer it, with a bottom end.

DoF likes this.
  18. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Just a second after I read this post, what started playing on SWR1?

..."Forever Man"!

:)

Fox67 and Szeppelin75 like this.
  19. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

Eric Clapton ‎– Journeyman
    Label: Reprise Records ‎– 093624968849
    Format: 2 × Vinyl, Reissue, Remastered, Gatefold
    Released: 2018
    Lacquer cut by Chris Bellman

My guess: it is reissue of this 2010 version of Eric Clapton - Journeyman (found same matrix numbers), but there we had 180 grams black vinyl discs while here it's 140 grams. So, if I am right this 2018 version is remastered from the original analog master tapes, same as 2010 one.

[​IMG]

superstar19 likes this.
  20. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It sounds better than the original single LP (2010 version). The biggest improvement is the 2LP reissue of From The Cradle (which should be coming up shortly).

Almost Simon, Szeppelin75 and DoF like this.
  21. All Down The Line

Losing Hand and the opening instrumental bossa nova are the highlights.

22. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

I am happy with Journeyman (2018), I think I'll get this too: Eric Clapton - Behind The Sun

23. All Down The Line

Enough good songs and hot performances to grab it.
    Just Like A Prisoner has several choruses of intense smoking solo guitar, one of his very best post dominoes solos!

DoF likes this.
  24. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I've not seen any of these reissues listed as 2018. Assume they are represses of the previous reissues which I bought around 3 years ago - just the ones that were done on double vinyl. All an improvement over the original single Lp releases. Behind The Sun is certainly an improvement over my original pressing.

Discogs list the previous 2010 as being US and the new ones as EU though I think the earlier ones were pressed in Germany? Also check they are the same Bellman cut and not from files.

DoF likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Journeyman has a few compelling blues performances, but in retrospect it's another dated attempt at getting a hit, with hired pop writers and cheesy drum machines. IMO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.