The Expanse Season 2

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by slovell, Jan 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

What happened to the Navuoo? I know it was going to be destroyed by crashing into Eros, but since it missed, were the Mormons able to recover their ship?

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I don't think we know yet. The ship is moving along a trajectory that will take it out of the solar system. I'm sure this story thread will be covered in more detail in future episodes.

3. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

It is all in the books. :) Sorry but I couldn't resist. I like the way the program made a seamless segue into the second book Caliban's War (2012).

4. We find out later. The Naboo will show up again in the next season.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

What a stellar episode (8)! This show just gets better and better. So much happened this week, including an introduction to a new character. The complexities of the different factions, agendas and personal secrets is really playing out well, and gives the series real depth. Bravo.

6. Yep and it gets deeper still. You won't be disappointed.

7. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I keep watching it hoping I'll like it as much as several of you. I like it, but it's not thrilling me. I wish they would invest in a real set, these color washed digital backgrounds get to me. Sure makes me miss Battlestar Galactica (from this century). Will probably revisit that series soon.

8. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

They get to me too - I just love the blue/violet shades inside the Rocinante (if that's what you mean). Way cool!

9. Lonson

I guess they get to me the opposite way. So tired of the constant digital "reality" and color wash. Also I don't find the storyline as original or compelling as some seem to. But I'm still watching for now.

Scott222C likes this.
  10. mds

mds Forum Resident

I understand your point of view. The effects and sets are fine with me, I understand the budget needs to be controlled although I think the space stations and interiors of the ships are just fine. The story is good, not great and some of the characters I am not connecting with like I do on other shows. I think however it is unfair to compare any epic scifi space series with BG. That show was so far above anything I had seen or have seen since the series. It also seems as though each season was written specifically for that season and each episode wasn't required to cover more than an episode or season could. The expanse is based on a three series book and is like Game of Thrones, if you read the book I am sure the characters are developed along with the plot line much more thoroughly, in the books.

11. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I would push back against that comment, from my perspective. I'm totally with you as far as season 1 of BSG was concerned - great stuff, and even much of season 2. But thereafter it lost me with all the religious stuff/visions, self indulgence, etc, etc, until I finally dropped it. So, it didn't work for me.

There have been some variations in the screen adaptation as a necessity from changing mediums and I'm given to understand that the changes were extremely positive to the telling of the story through a visual medium.

Also, there are currently 6 books in the series, not 3. One more is due out this year and another two are scheduled after that, which would bring the total to 9 books. There are also 3 novellas and some of the information contained within those has also been incorporated into the series. So, there is enough fodder there to make 8 or 9 seasons of TV, which would be awesome.

GodShifter and robertawillisjr like this.
  12. Lonson

I don't think it's an unfair comparison: same network, pitched at the same market. It could be as good or better as BG but it's not. (And I found that the religion aspects of BG were part of what interested and drew me in, gave depth to the series, depth that The Expanse lacks for me.) I haven't read the books. . . but this show isn't making me wish to, lots of stereotypes here and not much in the way of originality for someone who has read science fiction off and on since the 'sixties.

There's not really anything else like this on right now so I'm watching. . .but I wish they'd spent more and built some sets, that really is what I find unsettling, I don't feel anything is "real," and that added to some characters that aren't that distinctive or original. . . it's okay, but not great, for me. And that's just it, my opinion, not trying to convince anyone else. It's The Expanse's job to convince me. . . they're not quite doing that.

13. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Not much originality?? They built a whole social and political ecosystem that's not based on stereotypes, but on real human psychology, it's tendency for the formation of tribalistic in/out groups, the development of creole languages born out of relative isolation and ethnic mixing (a real fake language was actually developed based on linguistic rules and conventions), the exploitation of the powerless by those with power, multi-planet political maneuverings and to cap it off a mysterious alien substance with unknown properties which could threaten the entire solar system! If that's not originality on an epic scale, I don't know what is.

You keep saying this about wanting real 'sets', but I don't think you realize that the sets are real! For example, the interior of the Rocinante is a real, physical, two story set. All the various ship interiors are real physical sets, so I really don't know what you're talking about here.

14. Lonson

I know you don't read much science fiction, or books period. I don't find much of this at all to be very original, I've been reading science fiction for decades and this is a pastiche of a lot of other ideas in science fiction, everything you are pointing out has been done and done.
    Well, there's a lot of digital manipulation, nothing looks real to me. Sorry. I get that this is a series you really like. Fine. I find it lacking, I really WANT to like it a lot more, but don't.

Scott222C likes this.
  15. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

LOL, you couldn't be more wrong. I've devoured hundreds of scifi books, both classic and contemporary since before my teens and into my thirties, though it's true that these days I have little time/patience for it. The same goes for scifi movies and scifi TV series, so just no, that comment is way off base.

16. Lonson

Okay, that comment is way off base but so is yours. Those are NOT original concepts in the field, they've all been done before. Sorry.

Heck even a contemporary show that started off years before this one has the tribal and ethnic blending and a "new" language as part of the structure: The 100. There's lots of series with interplanetary political maneuvering from Asimov work to Battlestar Galactica. Exploitation of the powerless, mysterious elements from outer space. . . dozens of examples from the beginnings of the genre on.

Glad you like the show. I'll finish off this season but not sure if I'll continue past that, just nothing really new or gripping.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    Scott222C likes this.
  17. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

That's okay, but surprise! I don't agree. If you're going to define originality in terms of basic plot, then pretty much everything is not original - you can always point to prior works that hit the same themes/ideas, etc. The originality comes with how the story is told, how it unfolds, how the characters interact and how they deal with situations arising from the constructed universe. I find this a richly constructed and realized universe, which is self-consistent and the story is just getting started, judging by the wealth of material that's available.

I'm not going to convince you otherwise, I know, and really I'm not trying to, but I feel I must give voice (with backup) to a very different take on the show than yours. You're not going to convince me that BSG was great either... S'all good man. :)

18. Lonson

You are the one who made the list of "original" items and attached big value to them. I don't disagree about how a story unfolds etc. being important, I just don't see the originality or quality you do in this material, nor the way it's being presented on screen. Just not that way for me. You've given your take on this over and over and I have explained mine over and over. Enough, you like this, I want to but don't think it measures up as much as you do. Enjoy.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, enough is enough.

20. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Another fine episode focusing on the complex political situation between Earth, Mars, the Belt and powerful individuals outside of governments. I especially liked the focus given to Bobbie Draper. Frankie Adams is so gorgeous, especially with her hair down, and those lips are just amazing.

I loved her independent spirit and the desire to see the ocean, which to any Martian must be miraculous. And now with Chrisjen getting involved with her and telling her some home truths, things seem nicely poised for more revelations and conflict.

My only very minor critique of Draper is that she's supposed to be this super tough, super trained military warrior, but Frankie Adams' natural physique runs counter to that toughness - she's a bit soft/pudgy and doesn't project that level of training and toughness. But whatever, I enjoy watching her too much to care about minor details!

amoergosum and GodShifter like this.
  21. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

I have the same feelings about Frankie Adams as Draper she doesn't fit the book's profile but neither do many other actors and I have grown to accept them in their roles. Realistically it is impossible to depict any belters accurately and some of the other characters are "larger than life" in the book. HOWEVER, Shohreh Aghdashloo nails it.

22. mds

mds Forum Resident

Those who read the book series, should I or will the books be not as good since I'm watching the series and will be ahead of myself in the book and therefore know what's going on ahead of it unfolding naturally?

23. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I haven't read the books, but I don't think it would be a good idea to start at this point, as it would likely lead to confusion due to the differences, such as characterizations and the promotion of plot elements from other books and accompanying novellas. It would totally spoil things, for me at least, notwithstanding the actual long term plot spoilers.

24. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I LOVE this show. Unfortunately, two down at the time of this writing. I'll catch up this weekend. I really enjoy it.

25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Yeah, because Battlestar Galactica is totally more based in reality and believable :rolleyes:

robertawillisjr and Deesky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.