The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

She's right, though. Once she got a clearer picture of Frank's "extracurricular activities", she's like "only four?".

On the Classic Albums DVD, she implies her contempt for those activities, but here, she comes right out and says it. It's interesting that she is both fascinated and repulsed by this aspect of Frank's life.

EDIT: Okay, I've gone back and started from the beginning. I can understand Frank liking Amy Grant's voice, but Spin Doctors? Really?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  2. Is this a recent picture? (I don't understand this twitter mumbojumbo.) Moon looks quite younger here than on the other photo from her twitter page.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

This pic was posted on Feb.25 of this year!
    I assumed that was when it was taken.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

That's a bit surprising, but then if he hadn't produced Grand Funk I doubt anyone would assume he liked them.

In one call-in show shortly before he died FZ mentioned that he liked the King Missile song "Detachable P@@@s."

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  5. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Wait!

Frank has 4 other kids
    besides the ones with Gail?!

6. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I'm off the bus. I don't care for tribute bands anyway. I saw ZPZ's first tour and it was very good. No deed to see that again.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  7. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

True. A bit more straight ahead rock than one might expect he would like.

I don't think it's shocking that the writer of "Bobby Brown Goes Down" would like that song. :)

8. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

The Spin Doctors were good musicians! I'm not surprised.

Fullbug and oneslip17 like this.
  9. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

They were alright. Their hits were as basic as could be. Eric could play a nice guitsr solo. Doubt any of them could have cut it in Frank's post MOI bands.

10. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

I knew that spin doctors mention would wind people up!

Moon seems like a really nice person. Thoughtful, intelligent and really interesting to listen too.

For a newbie like myself, I have only read rumors of Frank's real self and talk that he may have not been the greatest guy on earth, it makes me winder is there any official record of this stuff? I read the real Frank Zappa (about 8 years ago) and remember is being relatively family friendly and while his songs can be interpreted in certain ways I always assumed they were tongue in cheek. Part of me wants to know, the other part of me just wants to remember the music and none of this crap.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  11. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

If I remember correctly, in the autobiography Frank described having dinner with his family as a "mini-eternity." But it was pretty clear that he was proud of his children and their different talents.

Doggiedogma and Runicen like this.
  12. Absolutely. Not just intelligent but brilliant!

13. If I got Moon correctly, she said something like she was not sure if her mother wasn't already out of her wits when she told her that...

Alternative4 likes this.
  14. Just as an aside, what the hell do these interviews have to do with the vinyl format? I have listened to the Moon episode and to the Derek Shulman episode. I admit I went a bit fast-forward in spots, but I could never find the connection...

Moon did say that her dad would come back from tours with armfuls of albums, but these just might have been CDs...

15. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember he mentioned that he didn't care for having dinner conversations with anyone, including his family.

16. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Zappa didn't just like complex stuff, though--look at all of the early R&B, blues and doo-wop stuff he loved. His tastes were about as eclectic as tastes can be. It was always hard to guess what was going to resonate with him or not when it came to other folks' music, and he often played surprising tracks, especially the newer stuff he'd play, when he'd guest DJ.

17. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

It wouldn't be surprising though. It's more surprising that most musicians don't have 100 kids.

ParloFax likes this.
  18. vince

Terrapin Station likes this.
  19. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident Thread Starter

Frank liked to complain that listening to other peoples' music took real time and he was too busy working to listen. That said I believe he retained an interest in rare doo-wop 45s and would often play them for people when they would visit him.

Fullbug, Terrapin Station and Scope J like this.
  21. Alternative4

The shows I have listened too, have very little to do with Vinyl. However he does interview Bernie Grundmen at one point and dedicates the occasional show to an artists discography.

ParloFax likes this.
  22. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I heard an early episode with George Clinton where the host had some discussion of record collecting and asked Clinton if he owned certain rare records he had made, although most of it was on other topics.

23. Alternative4

It makes sense that he didn't have a lot of time to fully absorb other artists music given his work rate (and lack of drug use ha!).

I always found it weird that people would pester Frank, does he like this, does he like that, as if Frank's approval would give that artist some sort of kudos that the reviewer could then use to sell that artist. The man had far more interesting music insights to give than some type of guru type approval.

CrankSomeFrank and gd0 like this.
  24. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I recall reading that and then Zappa (Barry Miles) plus that book written a woman who lived in his studio (I can't seem to recall the title or find it.) It gave me a different view from what is presented in his official book.

25. vince

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.