The Feuding Zappas

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jeff Kent, Apr 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Sorry to say, FZ did not record the Halloween 76 shows because the venue (Felt Forum) charged fees for recording. The Christmas 1976 run complete is one that I'd expect to happen.

For Halloween 78 I think they would have to piece the shows together from multiple sources because some of the multitracks were lost in FZ's editing for various albums, but it could still happen.

Joe has confirmed that the Halloween 1981 run is all in the vault, so although it may not be the most exciting possibility, it seems likely to me.

2. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Indeed. Burnt Weenie Sammich on vinyl tomorrow and then nothing official on the horizon? Very weird.

If a Waka Jawaka/Grand Wazoo P/O set were done, it'd make sense to reissue those two on vinyl near the same time.

We also still need Chunga's, JABFLA, Fillmore East, Bongo Fury, and New York....

I wouldn't be averse to seeing them all come out in one lump, like that fantastic haul a couple years back., Man, ZFT and UMe really spoiled us with all those LPs at once.

marc with a c likes this.
  3. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Take ALL my money! (and burn it so I can't spend it on a Francesco box set).

I'd LOVE a 78 Halloween, who in their right mind wouldn't? I know the tapes have reportedly been cut up by FZ for the Quad stuff but I hope they can find all the bits and put it out, it would be worth the time and effort. What a show that one was! The BIG one!

1981, I think, I'd probably have to skip on a big set. I really don't click with the '81 band and we've already got the Torture DVD (that was 81, right?).

My most wanted would be the Hot Rats P/O and the Bongo Fury Road Tapes set that Joe mentioned back last year some time.

Doggiedogma likes this.
  4. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Carnegie Hall kind of fills that hole.

dlokazip likes this.
  5. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It may be the best document of the Flo & Eddie era, but I'm talking finishing the vinyl reissues from the Bizarre/DiscReet era.

6. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

So if the feuding is done, is the hologram tour still on? If they were going to do it in late 2018, you'd think tickets would be on sale. I do hope Dweezil talked some sense into Ahmet about the stupid hologram.

Put the money into the ZPZ shows instead (I mean at least give Dweezil the name back already).

Galactus2 likes this.
  7. mcchocchoc

mcchocchoc Forum Resident

I'm assuming that it is. I think they were planning a few (?) shows late this year, a tour for 2019. I could be wrong, but that's what I recall.

8. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

You'd think they would be promoting it a bit more if they were still doing it.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Scott Thunes posted on Facebook that rehearsals will be in winter 2019.

mcchocchoc likes this.
  10. mcchocchoc

Yeah, but I can see them being quiet as they are working all of it out. That first announcement did not go over too well out here in internetland.

11. mcchocchoc

Thanks for the info, I don't use facebook and did not know that.

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I guess when they have shows booked they will start promoting it again.

13. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Just ordered new Chunga’s at Bull Moose. Coming next month.

Ben Adams likes this.
  14. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Yep. Amazon for me.

Hoping for Waka/Jawaka and Grand Wazoo next.

15. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Will there be cake? :winkgrin:

Instant Dharma and mcchocchoc like this.
  16. mcchocchoc

Hahaha, good one. Thanks for the chuckle.

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

For what. The Hologram dealie? Im a little behind here.

18. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

They're all out of cake. So the only choice is "...or death."

showtaper likes this.
  19. spiegelbeeld

spiegelbeeld Senior Member

Scott Thunes on Facebook, June 23 2018:
    "Had a nice conference call with the boys from the up-coming The Bizarre World of Frank Zappa. Mostly talking about timing of the tour, how many dates, US/Europe, rehearsal length. Some other tidbits of song choices and stage wizardry were mentioned (and promptly were told to never breath a word of it, something I will hold dear to my heart as I want everybody to be as surprised as possible).

Rehearsals still starting in late January, tour starting a little later than mentioned last time, but we were given the choice to add songs we liked, which is super nice.

NONE of this is as important as the fact that I am going back out on the road with my good friend and amazing human, Ray White. I have been very jealous of all the other assholes who have had the pleasure of working with him over the years while I sat around making babies. No more. No more making babies. Just music! Or something! There's a joke there!
    "

pbuzby and mcchocchoc like this.
  20. ganma

ganma Senior Member

I just read this old interview from 1987. Apparently he stopped playing guitar in Dec 1984... Interesting read.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

For most of the 80's he didn't play guitar except when on tour or about to go on tour.

Crimson Witch and ganma like this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Very cool thing, I met André Cholmondeley tonight at a Todd Rundgren show. He introduced himself to me because he dug my School of Rock shirt, and he goes way back with Paul Green, the founder of the School of Rock.

Dok and mcchocchoc like this.
  23. mcchocchoc

Cool! André is a friend of mine, super sweet, super busy guy.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  24. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

André is great. Go see Project Object if they're in your area.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  25. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

I'm not quite sure if there is hidden context there, but I saw him three nights in a row in '88 and he played the s*** out of his guitar.

ganma likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.