The first hour after JFK was shot in Dallas, visual timeline and amazing quality WTIC aircheck

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

November 22, 1963, the death of JFK. I've always been interested in this crucial first hour from the actual shooting to the world finding out the details. Here is a way to get all the information in a concise manor. Very informative visual timeline, the best I've ever seen. I learned many things that I didn't know, and I know a lot about this from study over the years. So I spent an hour with the sound OFF just reading the timeline. Then, I started it over and listened to the aircheck which is of very high quality, possibly the highest quality tape I've ever heard from this era. You can hear what radio was like on that day for about 20 minutes and then the confusion at the station, not knowing what to do until they cut away to the network after station ID. The top of the hour NBC network radio news feed is quite good, accurate and chilling. I was a kid and home sick from school that day and I remember watching TV and this exact hour from the CBS TV perspective. This visual timeline is truly an amazing, minute by minute summery of what happened in that hour. If you like this sort of thing, take a look and then take a listen.

2. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I was 5 years old, and since Dad was blind, it was the radio that was on that day, not the TV. My memory of playing on the floor in front of the console stereo my parents owned, is still crystal clear. Mom came home early from work, they were both crying, and then our Chicago neighborhood began to close, as what seemed like everyone, began to grieve.

t-man 54 and Steve Litos like this.
  3. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

Fascinating.

4. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Several years ago on a Nov. 22, the PBS station (that is local to me) played back, at the exact minutes as they occurred on 11/22/63, the NBC network feed from when they broke in until some point after the death was announced.

I remember from watching that feed, that immediately before Kennedy's death was announced, the NBC broadcasters (Chet Huntley and two others --- one I think was Frank McGee, and I don't remember who the other one was) were talking about learning of the death of Franklin Roosevelt, which at that time had occurred about 18 1/2 years previously.

I was not around in 1963 (didn't arrive until Feb. 1967), so I have no personal memories. My older siblings and my mother have said things to me about that day. My (late) father did not say anything to me about Nov. 22 (as that was a Friday, I think he was at work), but he did tell me about watching Ruby shooting Oswald on live TV on Nov. 24, and being so angry about that, that he called our congressional representative and asked "what the h*** is going on down there?".

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  5. teag

teag Forum Resident

Made it through the first 30 minutes....will finish later.
    :cry:

6. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

I was 13 and in the 7th grade. I was in school at the time (Catholic school), I remember all of the classes being ordered to the auditorium where a small tv was set up to watch (none of the students knew what had just happened). we all just sat there stunned watching the events unfold. Many of the nuns and teachers were crying. I will never forget that day.

7. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I just listened to the video. Riveting stuff. Even after all these years, you just never get used to hearing it.

8. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

On 11/22/2013 CBS streamed on its website in real time, starting with the soap opera all through the funeral, as the news broke in 1963. I made it through the Cronkite announcement, and even though you know what is coming seeing it unfold in real time like they did in 1963 was emotionally draining. I had to stop watching because it made me cry. Literally seeing the precise moment everything changed in its real time was just overwhelming. On Sunday (I believe) I watched Oswald getting shot. So surreal to hear Dan Rather talking about what will happen, the pending charges, booking, etc. and then immediately as he is talking .....

9. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

This really is fascinating. Thanks for sharing

10. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

What a gift to history thank you

11. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

I was 11 years old. I remember all the adults being in shock, crying. I seem to recall school let out early that day.

12. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

13. maclen

maclen Senior Member

That's both fascinating and heartbreaking. Even all these years later.

14. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

I consider the Kennedy assasination, the first moon landing and 9-11 the 3 major new events in my lifetime.

Steve Litos and Benno123 like this.
  15. t-man 54

t-man 54 Forum Resident

I was 3 years old at that time. I asked my father what I was doing when it was all being broadcast in our living room on our television. He said " you were mostly sitting on the floor playing with your toys , oblivious to it all. "

Steve Litos likes this.
  16. davidb1

davidb1 Forum Resident

I remember going home early from first grade, my father picked me up- he left work early. All the adults were crying and it felt like the end of the world.

17. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

JFK was the first politician I ever cared about; and this was 25 years after he was killed, in 1988 when I was 13. That tells you how powerful of a presence he was.

18. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

I don't know about you guys, but watching this was a pretty intense experience for me. I am 45, so I wasn't around then. But JFK was a huge movie for me and the Nova episode about the assassination gave me nightmares as a kid. So maybe this brought up that past trauma, I don't now, but I was crying as I was reading about Jackie's experiences in the car and at the hospital. What an amazing person. I cannot believe what she had to endure. I always assumed she was there but not as the priest was giving last rites and certainly not as he expired. Jesus.

19. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

This was a pretty riveting presentation.

Besides all the mis-information hitting the airwaves, I think the most interesting think was that Mr. Johnson was officially the President for a good 20 minutes before anyone told him (or that it sank in!)

Oh and leaving the officer with the launch codes behind at the hospital was a bit of a bumbling move.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  20. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Here's the WGN aircheck from Chicago from that time from the Bradley Place Radio/tv studios. The first announcement from the wire goes off at 12:42. It seems everyone was out to lunch so the radio show has to go on until a union "record turner" got back to the studio sometime after 12:50.

One of the comments was a girl from the noontime WGN TV Bozo Circus (same building) when the first bulletin came through.

Myke likes this.
  21. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I too was in Catholic school, but gradeschool. The entire school was having a carnival in the gymnasium on that day. Lots of booths set up with small prizes (like the fishing pond booth, etc.) The gym also had a stage at one end. One of the nuns got onstage and made an announcement through the microphone. But what floored me was that she then said we should continue having fun at the carnival. Even as a gradeschooler, I thought that was pretty cold.

22. samthesham

samthesham Forum Resident

I once spoke with Lou Reed briefly in 1969 in Dallas about my personal experience with the Kennedy assassination.

I was approximately 100 ft. south of the book depository on Houston St. when the gunfire errupted.

I was 13 at the time schools in Dallas were closed so folk could view the President and the 1st Lady up close.

It was horrendous.

I wish now that I had never gone.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  23. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Please share more if you're so inclined - you were actually there and that's utterly mind-blowing.

BobT and jamesmaya like this.
  24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The most recent LBJ book details the assassination pretty completely. there were security concerns aplenty (was this a Russian conspiracy?) and Johnson wanted to wait and take the oath when he was safely on the plane plus he wanted Jackie present so it wouldn't look like he was eager to usurp power. he also thought it would be rude not to include her. he was kept isolated at the hospital waiting for word on JFK, and there were delays getting word to him for a variety of reasons.

Steve Litos likes this.
  25. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Thanks for posting that @Steve Hoffman . Listening to that while reading the text was more terrifying than watching an old Hitchcock film where you know what is going on and what is going to happen while all the while ordinary life like garbage can liners and cooking turkeys for Thanksgiving is being discussed. My heart went out to that woman who was on the "Mikeline" when the news was announced.

ParloFax likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.