The Flash (TV Series 2014– )

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by musicalbeds, Dec 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It was kind of a shame that DC decided to reboot their entire line like that.

Arrow has definitely been weaker this season than the Flash. All the best writing talent on Arrow got shifted to this Flash show.

nbakid2000 and musicalbeds like this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I have to say, this past week's episode of The Flash was terrific. The reveals on scientist Harrison Wells were pretty surprising, even for me, and I fell down laughing at a couple of Mark Hammil's in-joke lines ("I... am your father.") This is a rare pop-trash superhero drama that's actually gotten better as the season's gone on.

musicalbeds and DreadPikathulhu like this.
  3. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger Thread Starter

Agreed; it has gotten better as the season's progressed... I'm expecting big things to close it out.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The big reveal trailer of the next few episodes blew my little mind...

I have to say, I expected very little from The Flash, but it's grown on me and is actually one of my favorite shows of this past season. Both it and Gotham have really been good.

5. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I'm totally surprised that there have only been 18 episodes of this show so far. There has been so much going on that it feels like we should be in season two already.

jriems and Vidiot like this.
  6. DreadPikathulhu

That spoiled a little too much. I'd called that the Reverse-Flash must have disposed of Wells body somewhere near the crash site a few weeks back, and the trailer told us they'd find it. It made the last episode a little less fun.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The Dr. Wells character is interesting, since he's not a flat-out villain but is clearly an amoral character capable of terrible things. I'm curious how long they can drag out the reveal -- which was shown in the preview.

8. DreadPikathulhu

I think the reveal will be next week. They already known about the secret chamber (also spoiled in the WonderCon trailer!!!), so it should be pretty interesting next week. I was surprised to see that we still have four more episodes - I'm not used to these long seasons anymore!

Vidiot likes this.
  9. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Another really good episode last night, although the time spent in Star City with the Lance's just reinforced my opinion that Flash is so much better of a show than Arrow. Flash is hitting on all cylinders as far as I'm concerned, whereas Arrow is moving in the wrong direction. Granted, Arrow has 2 seasons on Flash, and Flash could go downhill as it progresses, but for now it's doing almost everything right, and I'm enjoying it much more than I enjoyed even season 1 or 2 of Arrow.

Tom Cavanagh is just great in his Thawne/Wells performance. He knows how to walk the line between likeable and unpredictable, and is a very interesting character. Once this storyline is completed, I think it's going to be hard for Flash to stay as interesting - but I have high hopes.

10. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

The Arrow crossover with The Flash this week was completely out of line and vibe with what is going on with the Arrow universe. Felt weird and disjointed with everything.

But yes, The Flash at this point is a much better show than Arrow is (which has gone steadily downhill).

11. The creative talent behind Arrow has been stretched mighty thin in the past year. Some went over to the Flash and others are preparing Supergirl.

musicalbeds likes this.
  12. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm still enjoying the show but I hope Star Labs will be destroyed next week so I can stop nitpicking that part of the story in my mind. Can anyone just walk in there? Who is paying the bills of this stadium-sized facility? Who cleans it? Do Cisco and Caitlyn do all the building maintenance? If the particle accelerator exploded, why isn't any of it damaged?

At least they wrote out the metahuman prison aspect, so at least I don't have to think about, say, why the metahumans all looked perfectly presentable when they were released despite having no facilities of any sort.

Shawn and Vidiot like this.
  13. There is actually a deleted scene floating around of Caitlin delivering food to the meta-human prisoners at Star Labs. Considering now that half of Central City knows the Flash operates out of Star Labs, better security is needed. I guess the Reverse Flash knew from history that he isn't going to end up permanently defeated this time around by the heroes.

14. ascot

ascot Senior Member

My concern with last night's episode was the appearance of Oliver "The Arrow" Queen in the timeline of the two shows. They run concurrently so Oliver really should not have been available to help. Barry did mention that Oliver was in Nanda Parbat early in the show. Hopefully it is explained on Arrow tonight because it would seem Oliver had more pressing matters at hand in Starling City.

musicalbeds likes this.
  15. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Just started watching the series and I have to say I'm really enjoying it. Didn't like Gotham at all, nor did I enjoy Arrow so I kind of put this series on the back burner for awhile. To me, this feels like an old-school superhero show, fairly light, frothy and funny while still having some suspense and action elements. That combination is working much better for me than the other overly dark & serious DC shows that are on broadcast.

The two superhero series I've enjoyed most are Daredevil and this one, which is interesting since they are almost polar opposites in tone. Daredevil works for me because it's a darker, grittier, more "street" series that is aimed squarely at adults (not just the faux gritty that Gotham attempts), while The Flash is that fun escapist show aimed at kids & adults like myself who grew up watching Saturday morning cartoons and TV shows like Wonder Woman, The Six-Million Dollar Man and Bionic Woman.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  16. DreadPikathulhu

17. Squealy

Don't worry about that.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwiese...k-on-his-first-year-as-a-superhero#.obkZaKb9Y

18. DreadPikathulhu

Great season finale. I'm pretty sure we'll see the Reverse Flash again, though maybe played by someone else.

19. Squealy

The number of time travel paradoxes in that episode made my head spin faster than Barry running around the particle accelerator.

Vidiot likes this.
  20. DreadPikathulhu

Eddie kills himself so Eobard Thawne can never be born, but it was Eobard Thawne who created the Flash in the first place.

21. So if Eobard Thawne was never born, does everyone in current time forget he existed? And if so, how did Barry get his powers?

22. Squealy

Thawne said he would be born 136 years from now, yet in the future the Flash is his arch enemy. So -- the Flash will still be alive in 185 years? I'm surprised Barry didn't react to that at all.

musicalbeds likes this.
  23. Squealy

He killed Barry's mother so Barry wouldn't become the Flash, but then got stuck in that time frame and had to give the Flash's powers to Barry again to get home. But.... how did Barry become the Flash in the timeline that existed before that? And why didn't Thawne go back further and kill the mother before Barry was born, Terminator style? And on and on.

24. DreadPikathulhu

He would have gotten them some other way, like a bolt of lightning striking the shelf of chemicals he was standing in front of. Of course, none of the other rogues would have been created the same way, either.

It's best not to think about this stuff.

Shawn likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

I'll add too that they seem to be paying attention to what's being said online. People complained about the super-villain jail and how could they possibly get away with that, or about how if Eddie weren't to have kids then Eobard couldn't be born, or how could Dr. Wells not know what's going on in his own lab, and they've addressed all of those things.

I expect them to come up with some goofy explanation next season about how the Flash could exist if Eobard Thawne never did - and don't forget, Barry's mother would still be alive if Thawne weren't around to kill her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.