The Future of Music...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rhythmicreviews, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rhythmicreviews

rhythmicreviews Active Member Thread Starter

Recently, Paul McCartney released a statement that the future of music is in danger. As this is very vague - I would like your individual opinions on this statement.
    I don't want comments of short condescending opinions, such as "new music sucks" or something along those lines, not giving much detail to your opinion.

(Paul McCartney did not infer the following. The following bit of text is my opinion on the statement "the future of music is in danger." It's different from what Paul was talking about.

I'll give my abbreviated opinion:
    - When I was growing up, I was taught: through music class and general listening, that to classify something as a general piece of "music," it needs to be comprised of layers of rhythm, harmony and melody, the three essential elements to the creation of music. This idea is reflected as early as the renaissance period in Europe (probably even before that,) the classical periods, jazz, blues, into the rock and roll era and into pop. Relating to the pop genre - after 2007-2009, I noticed this specific genre lacking harmony. The melody was still there, multiple layers of it, built on electronic drums that spew intricate (artificial) drum beats.

However, now our society (primary the youth) is focused on the genres of electronic music and rap. I'm not saying pop and modern rock is completely scare, because it isn't. It's extremely abundant in society, however - rap music lacks 2/3 essential components to classify it as music.

Rap is primarily built upon 1 component - rhythm. Rappers voice their opinions with a "flow" technique on a drum beat with synthesizers. There's no melody, and absolutely no harmony. Electronic music is just rhythms built upon each other, with melodic ideas, but no structured melody (from my observations.) I would consider it artificial music - and not music.

A majority of our society is not falling victim, but taking interest in audio forms of art that aren't music, which is fine. Music now-a-days is lacking the components of what makes music, music. And as our society progresses, our musical tastes change, and it appears that every 5 years, music is more stripped down than what it was before.

I would like your opinions on the future of music.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2018
  2. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

If I knew, I'd make an album and bask in the glory.

DrZhivago likes this.
  3. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Hahaha, what an old douche.

4. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

If you’re going to paraphrase someone you should provide a link to the actual statement as we have no idea if you’re paraphrasing properly.

5. ECK

ECK Forum Resident

PM is just taking his rightful place in that long history of cranky old white dudes complaining about new music. Ignoring that the entire history of music has routinely proved said cranky humans wrong is just to be willfully blind / ignorant.

crispi and gary191265 like this.
  6. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I'll do that....Sir Paul McCartney warns that the "future of music is in danger" - NME

“Without the grassroots clubs, pubs and music venues my career could have been very different,” he said. “If we don’t support music at this level, then the future of music in general is in danger.”

The quote is in reference to local UK music venues. How that relates to a "rap isn't real music" thread (which is essentially what this is) I do not know.

7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Paul McCartney Says 'Future of Music Is in Danger'

Here is Paul McCartney saying that the future of music is in danger. He's talking about venues closing in the wake of redevelopment, it seems.

I didn't see the "Rap music? More like crap music!" part but I only skimmed.

8. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Paul McCartney is supporting the U.K. Music Initiative, a new Parliamentary campaign that hopes to save music venues from closing.

According to NME, the “Agent of Change” principle is being targeted for U.K. law, and would force developers to consider the effect on pre-existing businesses before they construct any new buildings. Existing music venues would fall under this umbrella.

The campaign – introduced by senior Labour MP John Spellar as a new Planning Bill in the House of Commons – launches today, and McCartney has come out in full support of it. “Without the grassroots clubs, pubs and music venues my career could have been very different,” he said. “If we don’t support music at this level, then the future of music in general is in danger.”

Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason and singer-songwriter Billy Bragg have also backed the U.K. Music Initiative.

Paul McCartney Says 'Future of Music Is in Danger'

9. rhythmicreviews

Yeah, I understand that's what he, himself was talking about. However, I added my own personal opinion to that statement.

Michael likes this.
  10. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

He was talking about venues closing, not that rap lacks harmony or melody.

Edit: ok you clarified it's just your opinion.

11. rhythmicreviews

Let me elaborate. Paul McCartney didn't mention what I said. These are my opinions on the future of music, based on evidence of past music. My intention wasn't to paraphrase his statement, but add my own opinion to it.

12. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

Then why did you take it totally out of context and make it seem like he was talking about something else?

13. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Well you TOTALLY misrepresented his comments as "music is in danger." When really he is just saying that legislation to encourage small clubs and venues is vital to economic viability of artists. He's just trying to bolster the music scene through assisting this legislation.

crispi, johnebravo and lightbulb like this.
  14. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Now go listen to Nas, Kendrick Lamar, and Blackstar and don't come back until you have.

15. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Wow, someone arguing that rap isn’t music because it lacks harmony or melody? My god, how did no one notice or even comment on this since the mid 70s?? The OP is a genius!

vinylontubes and havenz like this.
  16. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Is this post a classic example of a
    Bait and Switch Thread ???

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

For a moment there I thought rap music was destroying local music venues. Close call.

As for the future of music? I think your views are fairly myopic on the subject. Think about what your parents (or grandparents) thought of rock groups and how it was just "noise". Now those teenagers are old men and women and those rock artists are coveted like a Crosby or Sinatra used to be.

If EDM and/or Hip Hop have replaced Rock as the dominant popular music genre for young people, then that's just the way it is. You've still got your music, they have theirs and in fifty years my kids will probably be complaining about how music doesn't compare to the days of Kendrick Lamar and Lupe Fiasco. But as long as there are human beings walking the planet, music will exist and be enjoyed.

18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

[Gaslight drops mike, thread rolls way like tumbleweed]. Just so you don't think you're going crazy, most will agree the 60s and 70s was the pinnacle of recorded music.

ToneLa likes this.
  19. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Wait!

Don’t fall for @rhythmicreviews ‘ OP that purports to (mis)quote McCartney in a trolly “Bait and Switch” !!!

Uhh...
    Oh well...

ToneLa likes this.
  20. DirkM

DirkM Forum Resident

That Elvis and Chuck Berry crap in the 50s really sucked. It was all rhythm, with no melody and absolutely no harmony.

21. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I got as far as "Paul McCartney" and stopped reading.

SteveM, crispi and DTK like this.
  22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just listen to the FM radio...it's been doomed for years...

marmalade likes this.
  23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

don't you get it? one is not allowed to have a personal opinion regarding Rap...EVERYTHING ELSE in music can be trashed, Destroyed, Ignored, Bullied, Flamed, Mocked, Labeled...no, no be very careful...The Rap police are watching, protecting...I always wondered why The PC Police never complained or got down on the filthy, disgusting, violent, violence against police, women and each other lyrics...
    so this is my opinion...

24. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

1. Pretty lame to ride in on McCartney's coattails. I don't think he'd be that happy about this thread
    2. I'm no rap expert, but I had Kendrick Lamar's new album on in my car and it contained all the required elements: rhythm, harmony and melody.

Henryflowr and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. marmalade

marmalade Forum Resident

I have well over 200 cds from the 80's through the 90's that I don't really much listen to anymore. For some reasons I prefer 60's to 70's output of multi layered harmonies - guitar and maybe just a little Garage Rock for good measure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.