The Girl in the Spider's Web starring Claire Foy-November 2018

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Encuentro, Jun 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident Thread Starter

I don't quite understand this one. The original Stieg Larsson trilogy was adapted into a trilogy of films in Sweden. The film book was adapted into a film starring Daniel Craig and Rooney Mara and directed by David Fincher in the U.S. Now, Sony and Columbia have adapted the first non-Stieg Larsson novel, The Girl in the Spider's Web, into a film starring The Crown's Claire Foy as Lisbeth Salander. I enjoyed the original trilogy of novels and was hoping for an adaptation of The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. But the powers that be have jumped over the second two Stieg Larsson novels to give us this. It could be good. Who knows? I love Claire Foy in The Crown.

alexpop likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Saw the preview for this a few days ago. Seems to give away way too much. I only had limited interest to begin with, but after the long, very revealing trailer, my interest is mostly nil. I thought Noomi was great in the three original series, though they got less interesting as they went on. And Rooney was great in the Fincher movie, which felt like it effectively condensed the important part of the story to one movie. Could they not get Noomi or Rooney to play the part again? Did they even try? I'd be more interested if one of them were doing the role.

3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

This turns the book into "Lisbeth--The Punisher". I'm out.

Curiously, my boss who introduced me to the books, is totally up for this.

4. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Claire Foy is smart. She's raking it in while she's hot. So many movies!

5. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Saw the trailer before First Man.
    Seemed boring and very bleak.
    I'll pass.

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They may have felt that it would be better to adapt a book that hadn’t been filmed before. Even though those adaptations are in Swedish I think the first one, at least, was widely seen enough that the David Fincher movie seemed redundant, despite the skill he brought to it, and the other two are out there for people to watch.

The second and third books also have pretty complicated plots and from what I recall are parts 1 and 2 of a big story, as opposed to being more standalone adventures like the original book.

On the other hand they were actually written by Stieg Larsson, unlike Spider’s Web, and the Swedish versions were pretty workmanlike TV productions (unlike the first which was a feature), and could certainly have been improved upon.

budwhite and Encuentro like this.
  7. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

How’s the book?

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Bought the dvd ( pricey ).
    What a snooze fest. Claire Foy too old to play the “girl”. Best viewed as a tv episode. Rooney Mara was much better, with a superior story.

~dave~~wave~ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.