The Glen Campbell Album By Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JamieC, Jun 27, 2012.

1. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member Thread Starter

Last part

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I used to have that vhs... nice Beach Boys medley.

3. JamieC

This is without a doubt his best live album. It is a perfect snapshot of Glen's reinvigorated live set list, includes a great orchestra and even Jimmy Webb conducting a side. The Elvis tribute is still before Elvis death, when England still asked in vain for the king play London. As mentioned earlier the Beach Boys medley is a highlight.
    It should have done better.
    It should be in print.
    5/5

4. JamieC

Next up: Basic

5. MEMPHISSUN

MEMPHISSUN Forum Resident

A month or so back,BBC showed the Albert Hall show,great to see after all those years.

6. JamieC

Glen-Campbell-Basic-193413.jpg
    Basic
    from Wiki

Basic is the 34th album by American singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, released in 1978

Track listing
    All tracks composed by Micheal Smotherman; except where indicated
    Side 1:
    1. "(You've Got To) Sing It Nice And Loud For Me Sonny" (Smotherman, Mark Durham) - 2:45
    2. "Stranger In The Mirror" - 3:44
    3. "Can You Fool" - 3:08
    4. "I See Love" - 2:13
    5. "(When I Feel Like) I Got No Love In Me" - 3:24
    Side 2:
    1. "Love Takes You Higher" - 2:39
    2. "Never Tell Me No Lies" - 2:18
    3. "I'm Gonna Love You" - 3:22
    4. "California" - 3:31
    5. "Let's All Sing A Song About It" (Smotherman, Billy Burnette) - 3:14
    6. "Grafhaidh Me Thu" - 2:36
    Personnel

Production

• Producers - Glen Campbell, Tom Thacker
    • Recording Engineer - Chuck Mellone
    • Mastered - Wally Traugott, Capitol studios
    • String arrangements - TJ Kuenster, Larry Muhoberac
    • Photography - Norman See
    The album went to 17 Country and 164 on Billboard.
    Can You Fool went 16 Country, 38 main chart and 7 EZ
    I'm Gonna Love You went 13 Country, 38 EZ and did not make the main chart
    California made 45 Country

Amazon Review by Son Of Flintstone

The three best Glen Campbell albums, in my opinion, are 1) ERNIE SINGS AND GLEN PICKS, 2) REUNION, THE SONGS OF JIMMY WEBB, and 3) this Lp, BASIC (Capitol SW 11722). (I'm sitting out GHOST ON THE CANVAS. It's too soon. And a great album!)

This may sound strange, but the reason that I consider this album one of his top three albums is that: In 1978, I. Loathed. It. I really did not like this when I bought it at age 17. Really did not like it. A LOT of his fans didn't. It bombed.

The songs that hooked me about my middling high school years began with "Houston (I'm Comin' to See You)" and "Bonaparte's Retreat" on the C&W AM radio station, then the "Rhinestone Cowboy" through "Sunflower" period, at which point I picked up a $4.99 really cheap and junky 20 track budget album, THE GLEN CAMPBELL COLLECTION, TVLP 78038 (Capitol Special Markets), which had ten tracks per Lp side jammed tightly together (normal albums had 5-6 songs on each side)--horrible fidelity. I played the ... out of that budget clunker and heard his stuff all the way back to "Gentle On My Mind," which I liked the most out of all the tunes, for the basic guitar band sound that was just slathered over with sweet easy listening syrup on the later tracks. But I liked the songs; the guitar work and C&W feeling came through the pop backing that turned me off. Then I bought this album. It wasn't a Glen Campbell album, it wasn't what I expected (I heard "I'm Gonna Love You" -- that I wanted), and it was way too rock. Nearly all the songs are by one songwriter, Michael Smotherman. This album was a conspicuous statement, that GC was turning away from making anything that might be a Country & Western record, told his Goodtime Hour fans where to go--and they did. It was Southern funky pop, but it wasn't C&W. It was druggy, he sang high falsetto, like Little Richard 20 years before. They were lousy, just lousy Country & Western songs. But they were great SONGS. In 1968, he found Jimmy Webb's songs and they clicked. In 1978, he found Michael Smotherman's songs, started him (check out Smotherman's recorded song catalog--there's a lot in the 1980s), and ... it bombed. But it's grown on me since. If you get into this, buy the HIGHWAYMAN bomb, too. Of the 10 songs on that contract filler, six are from the sessions that produced this, many of them by Michael Smotherman.

7. JamieC

8. JamieC

9. JamieC

10. 905

905 Senior Member

California's great... Basic should of been another smash.

11. JamieC

I was still buying these when issued. I know my copy of Basic was from Korvettes. My opinion of Basic is led by California, what a great record! I don't know if it was because it followed the live album or disinterest by Capitol, or what.
    Micheal Smotherman was a good fit for Glen. Great songs, great arrangement, and great production. Glen had hit a groove.
    A solid 4/5

12. JamieC

Next- Highwayman

13. JamieC

14273791.jpg
    Highwayman
    from Wiki
    Highwayman is the 35th album by American singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, released in 1979

Track listing
    Side 1:
    1. "Highwayman" (Jimmy Webb) - 3:01
    2. "Hound Dog Man" (Tommy Stuart) - 2:39
    3. "I Was Just Thinking About You" (Micheal Smotherman) - 2:40
    4. "Love Song" (Jimmy Webb) - 3:15
    5. "My Prayer" (Micheal Smotherman) - 2:37
    Side 2:
    1. "Tennessee Home" (Micheal Smotherman) - 3:10
    2. "Don't Lose Me In The Confusion" (T.J. Kuenster) - 3:13
    3. "Cajun Caper" (Micheal Smotherman) - 3:52
    4. "Darlin' Darlinka" (Micheal Smotherman) - 3:16
    5. "Fool Ya" (Micheal Smotherman) - 2:17
    Personnel

Production

• Producer - Glen Campbell, Tom Thacker
    • "Highwayman", "Hound Dog Man", "Love Song", "Darlin' Darlinka", "Fool Ya" recorded at Lagniappe, Sherman Oaks, California
    • "I Was Just Thinkin About You", "Tennessee", "Don't Lose Me In The Confusion", "Cajun Caper" recorded at Broad Recording Studios, Honolulu, Hawaii
    • "My Prayer" recorded at Capitol Records, Hollywood, California
    • Arranged by Jimmy Webb, TJ Kuenster
    • Strings conductor - Sid Sharp, Irving Geller
    The album did not chart.
    Hound Dog Man went to 25 country
    My Prayer went 66 country/42 easy listening.
    Over Glen's loud protests, Capitol refuses to release Highwayman as a single. It would be number one a few years later, but not for Glen. And he really does own this song.

I can find no reviews

Pendulous Threads likes this.
  14. 905

905 Senior Member

15. JamieC

I cannot imagine how frustrated Campbell was with Capitol. He had made money hand over fist for the label, and now they treated him like this. Its said that he made up his mind to leave the label after his contract was up. Why they released Hound Dog Man as the lead single defies logic. It was supposed to be a tribute to Elvis, but the only one ever called hound dog man was Fabian. Of note is the fact that Hound Dog Man is ignored when it comes to Glen's hits and singles, But Highwayman is almost always included.
    On a five star scale the track of Highwayman rates a six. Instant classic.
    the rest, well it averages out to
    3.5/5

On a side note, at the first Farm Aid concert Glen joined the "Highwaymen" to perform his lost hit when Kris Kristofferson had to leave early.

16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

That action by Capitol has always irked me. Can't even imagine what the suits were thinking.

17. JamieC

Next up
    Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like

18. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

1979. New wave and disco have pushed "geezers" like Campbell entirely off the pop dial. It's about a year too late to ride the post-death wave of all things Elvis, but that still seems an easier hook to country radio than the grand pop of Highwayman.

I can easily see why someone would have made that call. Not a good call, of course.

19. JamieC

MI0003437827.jpg
    Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like

From Wikipedia

Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like is the 36th album by American singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, released in 1980

Track listing

Side 1:
    1. "Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like" (Richard Supa) - 2:45 (duet with Rita Coolidge)
    2. "Through My Eyes" (T. J. Kuenster) - 3:42
    3. "That Kind" (Neil Diamond, Carole Bayer Sager) - 3:13
    4. "Part Time Love" (David Gates) - 2:33
    5. "Hollywood Smiles" (Larry Weiss) - 3:17
    Side 2:
    1. "If This Is Love" (Kerry Chater, Robbie Patton) - 4:01
    2. "Hooked On Love" (Ian Gomm) - 2:06
    3. "Show Me You Love Me" (Micheal Smotherman) - 3:08 (duet with Rita Coolidge)
    4. "Late Night Confession" (G. Portney, J. Davidson) - 3:35
    5. "It Goes Like It Goes" (David Shire, Norman Gimbel) - 3:40
    Personnel

Production

• Producer - Gary Klein
    • Musical Contractor - Frank Decaro
    • Concertmasters - Harry Bluestone, Sid Sharp
    • Mixed by John Arrias
    • Photography - Jim McCrary
    Once again the album did not chart.
    Something Bout' You baby I Like made number 42, 60 Country, and 39 EZ Listening

Amazon review by Son Of Flintstone
    2 Stars
    Well, the committee that put it together must've dotted every "i" and crossed every "t" via whatever record industry handicapping sales estimates said might pay off, at least as an A/C or easy listening pop record, circa 1980. You might say this is SOUTHERN NIGHTS 2, with the producing credit showing "produced by Gary Klein for the Entertainment Co...." Well, if you want to know more or less the sound/theme of this release, I suggest you pick up Neil Diamond's 1979 Lp, SEPTEMBER MORN, and hit shuffle, assuming you're spinning the CD of that title. They seem to be much the same album.

The songs are:

Side one: Somethin' 'Bout You Baby I Like/Through My Eyes/That Kind/Part Time Love/Hollywood Smiles

Side two: If This Is Love/Hooked on Love/Show Me You Love Me/Late Night Confession/It Goes Like It Goes

There's a songwriting publishing glitch on the back cover and early pressings of the vinyl Lp: "Through My Eyes" shows T.J. Kuenster/Seventh Son Music, Inc.; later pressings corrected the songwriting credit to L. Henley-J. Hurt, who are Larry Henley/Jim Hurt. The song first appeared on Republic Records 45 REP-036A about two years earlier (1978), by Tom Grant; the B-side of that single (interesting!!!) is "You're Easy to Love," songwriting credit to Dave Burgess, who gave GC his start in the LA clubs in late 1960.

Other songwriting credits show Ian Gomm, Neil Diamond, Michael Smotherman, and David Gates. (Juicy tidbit: David Gates ran the band, GC in the session work, on Pat Boone's BOSS BEAT Dot Record last Lp rocker back in '64!)

Not a bad record. Some nice tracks, and it helps if you're in the mood for late Neil Diamond, Barry Manilow, Johnny Mathis/Deniece Williams, and Dionne Warwick about 1980-ish.

20. JamieC

Glen had decided. His run at Capitol was over. His marriage to Sarah had (as had his marriage to Billie) fallen apart, he was drinking and was getting involved with Peruvian marching powder. And Tanya Tucker. Glen's life was falling apart, personally and professionally.
    Rita Coolidge joins as Glen's newest duet partner, but no Webb tunes this time. Nothing awful, but nothing outstanding. I disagree with the reviewer, this sounds nothing like Neil Diamond.
    Marking time at 3/5

21. JamieC

Next up, Glen comments :Its The World Gone Crazy

22. JamieC

cd_glen_campbell.jpg
    It's the World Gone Crazy
    From Wiki

It's the World Gone Crazy is the 37th album by American singer/guitarist Glen Campbell, released in 1981 (see 1981 in music). The lead single, "Any Which Way You Can", was the title song to the 1980 movie Any Which Way You Can, the sequel to Every Which Way But Loose.

Track listing

Side 1:
    1. "Why Don't We Just Sleep On It Tonight" (duet with Tanya Tucker) (J.L. Parker, H. Shannon) - 3:05
    2. "I Don't Want To Know Your Name" (Micheal Smotherman) - 4:02
    3. "In Cars" (Jimmy Webb) - 3:05
    4. "It's The World Gone Crazy (Cotillion)" (Shel Silverstein, Waylon Jennings) - 2:38
    5. "Rollin'" (Joe Rainey, Jack Tempchin) - 3:30
    Side 2:
    1. "Nothing Quite Like Love" (Micheal Smotherman) - 3:57
    2. "A Daisy A Day" (Jud Strunk) - 3:40
    3. "Any Which Way You Can" (Milton Brown, Steve Dorff, Snuff Garrett) - 3:14
    4. "It's Your World" (Joe Rainey) - 3:46
    5. "Shoulder To Shoulder" (duet with Tanya Tucker) (Henry Gaffney) - 3:25
    Personnel

Production

23. JamieC

24. JamieC

25. JamieC