The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Ezzie

Ezzie Plunging like stones from a slingshot on Mars

so when you buy from nugs, what format do you purchase?

2. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Flac, for certain. It's lossless. you can use an app like Free audio converter for Mac OS X and Windows to convert the files to 320 mp3, if that's what you play.

3. Ezzie

I was going to buy some stuff from there, but I'm a computer idiot... is there someplace I can go to learn what you just said and understand it? I just rip everything to I tunes and play on Bose wireless head phones the old lady gave me :), so any help is gratefully appreciated

4. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I have not purchased any GD music from them, but I would buy FLAC format.

5. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

Flac is the the purest file you can get, in most cases. It's not compressed so the sound is closest to studio/concert hall as you can be. other files, mp3 for example, are compressed to make the file a smaller size. normally, like in your car, you wont hear any difference. but if you have a next system at home or especially on nice headphones, you'll hear a huge difference. The flac file is a much fuller sound. you can google flac players to find a number of them. winamp, etc.

so buying the flac files is much like buying a cd. even if you don't play the files after you make a copy and convert it to mp3 you at least have the original uncompressed files. like in wood working, you can always cut more put you can never put it back. even when you are importing to itunes you are compressing the files and changing the sound. you can see the settings in edit>preferences>general>import settings. I use MP3 encoder and change the setting to custom and choose 320kbps.

whatever you do, keep the original copy of anything you import or buy. make a copy of any flac files before you convert them.

6. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

See if ALAC is available. It is fully lossless and playable on iTunes without conversion.

Jackstraw78 and wlove2372 like this.
  7. Ezzie

thanks so much, its starting to make sense, goggled it and am reading up on it. So when I down load a cd to I tunes am I affecting the music ?

8. Ezzie

yes they are available in ALAC. When you buy these ALAC's, do they email it to you ?

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If you set ITunes to import the music as WAV rather than MP3, it will not downgrade the audio quality.

wlove2372 likes this.
  10. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Yes but watch out for the downloadable Dick's--many or all do not include the "bonus tracks" from other shows unlike the CDs.

11. Ezzie

I believe that's how mine is set up, when I get home I will check.. thanks to all for helping :tiphat:, on another note I just received DP's 1-5 how do you tell if they are the original's, they do not have a Dead net symbol or real gone, anything to look for?

12. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Set iTunes to import as ALAC (Apple Lossless). Saves space over WAV and no degradation of quality.

You can download directly from the website after purchase. There is a folder called "Automatically Move to iTunes". Drop the files there and iTunes will automatically move them to the proper place.

jackinbox likes this.
  13. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

If you don't mind using a CD-r, you can have a CD of the music that will play back with full HDCD fidelity (on a capable player). Rather than explain it again for the fourth year in a row, I'll just quote myself from back in 2015:

14. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

Listening to 11/10/85... :whistle:

15. owlshead

owlshead Forum Resident

now listening to 10/12/84 - trying to stay far away from 1977, until the box ships

16. Phoenician

Phoenician Resident Forum

I like this idea. I listened to Tuscaloosa the other day, but I think I'll follow suit.

Currently the Dark Star>MAMU>Dark Star> Wharf Rat sandwich from 4/24/72...

budwhite, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  17. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I downloaded FLAC files and converted to AIFF, which is also lossless, but can be played using iTunes.

18. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Yes, it is being compressed. The higher the compression, the more noticeable it is in the sound. Example: an MP3 or AAC file ripped at 128kbps will sound pretty bad, but a 320kbps sounds pretty good. FLAC or ALAC have compression but it does not affect the sound of the file (that's why they're called "lossless").

EVG.1970 likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

WRS>Jam>TOO>It's a Sin Jam>Stella Blue

6/18/74 which is from disc 2 of RT 2.3

Car ride ended right as Jerry started singing SB

Earlier I listened to Loose Lucy then Eyes>China Doll from the beginning of the disc.

Some very high points in WRS jam and within the following jam and TOO. However as great as some of these 2 discs are, the fact I've been listening to lots of 73 lately makes 74 sound a bit frazzled in comparison.

20. Ezzie

so do I need to download cd into a ALAC file, then move that into I tunes?

21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

9/9/74, Ally Pally, London, UK

The first of three nights documented on the glorious Dick's Picks 7

This has always been one of my favorite runs so far the first night is turning out much better than my old notes indicated.

It's a great night to listen to Keith and Phil and Jerry is ON like he was on 8/6 :)

Hell, even Row Jimmy is great!

22. Ezzie

O K i set I tunes to ALAC automatic was set at AAC Encoder / high quality (128 kbps)

Have been saving DaP #16,just cracked it open, here we go :pineapple:

thanks to all

ianuaditis likes this.
  23. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

I think I need a new one, every time I burn something lately it doesn't play in the car. Although, my SACD of Blood on the Tracks gave me the same issues, so maybe I need a new CD player in the car.
    That 6-18-74 was rated the top show of 74 in several versions of Deadbase.

24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Don't get me wrong - strong playing but not as strong as 72 or 73

ianuaditis likes this.
  25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Last night listened to the DaP 18 bonus disc from 7/16/76, wowza. That Playin' in the Band sounds much more like a '74 version than '76, but then to land in Cosmic Charlie... Fantastic. At work right now doing the iPod shuffle thing with a variety of artists, but landed right now on the Dark Star from 4/17/69, Download Series Vol. 12, and it is a stunner. I'd forgotten how good it is. I need to listen to some of these Download Series releases more often... But then I need to listen to a lot of stuff (not just GD-wise) more often!