The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

News flash--just got an email that Corn-hell Seventy-Seven is (help) on the way.

FALSE ALARM--the email pertains to the next Dave's. That is on the way.

I need to stop buying crap.

Erik B., budwhite, Scopitone and 2 others like this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

thats a good one. one of my favorite 89/90 releases

Dahabenzapple and wavethatflag like this.
  3. wavethatflag

Yeah, I've never heard it, so I'm psyched for it.

Dahabenzapple and Matthew Tate like this.
  4. Matthew Tate

disc 2 is amazing minus "i will take you home" killing the momentum

5. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Shipping notice today. Back on the bus. :wave:

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The 7/18/76 sources on the Archive are a bit disappointing, so I'm a bit curious if they have a better one for that CD, although it seems unlikely.

Meanwhile, reportedly the show is in multitrack in the vault and may be released eventually.

7. wavethatflag

There's nothing in the artwork that talks about lineage. When I get time I'll download a bunch of versions and compare and post here.

8. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"LEGENDS coverin #MillionReasons wow! Trey & Bob I'm so honored this made my day such a dream come true!" @ladygaga

9. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Do they have a better copy? Not a chance.

Multi-tracks? Salivating!

10. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I'm pleased to see Stephanie honoring the boys.

hyde park and JRM like this.
  11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Packaging looks great and they have always done a good job on RSD vinyl in the past. I only tend to pick up GD vinyl releases of live shows if they are not available on CD -- too much flipping anyway, and they often are sourced from the same digital files as the CDs (although from higher resolution than CD -- so while I've picked up the vinyl-only RSD releases, I've skipped most of the ones like these. (I did order Cornell '77 on vinyl because I had to, and kind of regret not picking up Sunshine Daydream on vinyl). Anyway, since I already have this on the deluxe CD reissue of the self-titled '67 album, I passed. It's a fun listen, and very good sound considering how early in their career it was recorded.

Erik B., sparkmeister and budwhite like this.
  12. JRM

I've asked for it to be moved back to the Music Corner thread, but no luck, at least not yet. Not sure why GD photos got moved to Off Topic (General Discussion) while other band photo threads are in the more visited Music Corner. @Jerry was going to look into it...

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  13. JRM

My latest acquisition. At first I had no interest in this poster because the word 'class' is written in pen underneath the word DANCE. Turns out this is 'original' to the poster and was done prior to the show to avoid potential permit issues. The Straight Theater was not a licensed venue and offered 'dance classes' to get around the necessary cabaret permit required by the city for concerts. These were also Mickey's first shows.

Billy writes about it in his autobio: "...I invited [Mickey] to come down to the Straight Theater, where we had scheduled an interesting run of shows on September 29 and 30, 1967. The theater was on Haight Street, at the intersection of Cole, just a few blocks away from 710 Ashbury, and our friends were running things. But this was during that challenging time in history where dancing at a rock concert was like ordering booze at a bar during Prohibition. It felt right, but it was banned by law, unless you had a dance permit. San Francisco was certainly not going to issue the Straight Theater a dance permit for a pair of shows by the Grateful Dead. However, we found a delightful little loophole and the defiant act of exploiting it made the shows especially satisfying for us—you needed permits for a dance concert, but not for a dance school. Class was about to be in session. We charged a “registration fee” instead of selling tickets and everyone got membership cards on the way in. The cops were there but couldn’t do a damn thing. The media loved it. And we taught some people how to dance, all right."

So what I initially thought was a defect is actually a cool little detail :cool:

[​IMG]

14. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Thanks. I didn't pick up the 1st lp reissue since I have 3 copies of the original, so this was a no brainer for me. Looking forward to hearing it. The digital on vinyl doesn't bother me so much if that's the only way this live stuff is offered. I'd rather have the large packaging vs. a cd.

Crispy Rob likes this.
  15. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Late 73 kick....

From RT 4.3 (11/21/73)

Playing>El Paso>Playing>Wharf Rat>Playing>Morning Dew

Anything in life ever better than this?!?!?

Prompted me to start Dick's Picks 1 (12/28/73) with best HCS ever

I must get to Dick's 14 (12/1/73) this week for the insane Playing from disc 4

16. wavethatflag

I don't know, man, this first CD sounds good. Plenty of bass, good high end, Jerry is singing Half-Step loud and clear. This does not sound bad or lacking in any way. And I read today that some of what's out there for this show suffers from an annoying buzzing. Still, I need to sample some of the boards out there for comparison. But this sh-t sounds really good so far. Hey, man, 20 bucks. Whatever.

This sounds as good as a DiP and better than some of them. Somebody might know somebody who was at the radio station or whatever. We don't know. I wish this set had some tech. info.

This is a fine lead-off Half-Step, very fine. And dandy. You gotta have some dandy with your fine. o_O:D

Decent amount of audience in it too.

And into a super sweet and mellow Cassidy with the right amount of kinetic bouncy undercurrent. Phil is right there. Good bass.

OK, I resolve to download some comparison sources soon, because this thing is sweet. And if there's free stuff of this quality out there, I'm missing out on life. I'll be the first to admit if I got hosed buying this set. I put the search for quality over ego, just for you guys. For truth, Jerry and the thread.

I'm not hearing any radio-type compression on this at all. It's got to be there a little though.

This Row Jimmy is as it should be.

Anyway, no way this thing was taped off the radio and thrown into digital form. Something good is afoot here. But again, I need to download some other sources for this show to be sure.

Heading into Mama Tried, I'd say Baygo to Amoeba in SF and buy this thing for $19.99.

This recording doesn't sound like a soundboard with all the judicious audience presence. It sounds like someone got patched into the broadcast feed before it was broadcast. On this Scarlet, I can hear everyone in the band, pick 'em all out easily.

I mean maybe there's something this good freely available, but at this moment I kind of doubt it. But a lot of people here download a lot more of the free stuff than I do. I tend toward the official releases heavily.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    sparkmeister and NorCal like this.
  17. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

He's actually read the Dhammapada in three different translations.

US Blues likes this.
  18. wavethatflag

I meant: "I'd say if you're in the Bay Area go to Amoeba..."

19. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Anything out there on unofficial releases is out there in as good or better quality for free.

sparkmeister and budwhite like this.
  20. wavethatflag

Then there's a lot I don't know. I'm going to check on this one anyway.

21. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Unless you like I will Take You Home, then it's a solid second set.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Matthew Tate

I like the song but its a standalone song. not a song you cram into a trippy jam

23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

[​IMG]

Working on tagging and sorting a bunch of new boot files, including a couple of GD shows. Testing this one with "Sing Me Back Home".

My brain keeps trying to fill in Donna's Veneta backing vocals.

24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Unless you don't like 1989, you should dig Nightfall of Diamonds. It always hits the spot for me when I am in the mood for the era.

wavethatflag, JRM and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JRM

"Seven-faced marble eye transitory dream doll" - Robert Hunter

[​IMG]

Now playing 12/11/69 Thelma Theater, Los Angeles

Dark Star >
    St. Stephen >
    The Eleven >
    Cumberland Blues
    That's It For The Other One >
    Cosmic Charley​

Erik B., adamos, lucan_g and 10 others like this.