The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

What with the 6/16/74 China--> Rider transition and the 6/18/83 Dew, I do have a penchant for being something of a broken record, don't I?

2. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Yes:) but with The Dead, you pick good sequences:)

warewolf95, US Blues and Archtop like this.
  3. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

and to be honest there are much better late 70's/early 80's releases

4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

budwhite, Instant Dharma and Archtop like this.
  5. ivor

ivor Senior Member

As others pointed out, it's more like $35-40 on eBay. I expected it to be closer to Dozin' at the Knick for some reason... but I see even that is around $15 used!

Anyway, I finally ordered Sunshine Daydream, it arrived today so now watching that. I didn't realize Pole Man starts gyrating in Jack Straw, I thought it was just Dark Star. o_O

6. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Some day soon, Pole Man is going to march forth, declare his innocence and open a Wendy's chain in Dubuque. I've got an inside scoop on this.

budwhite, bmoregnr, Ezzie and 4 others like this.
  7. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The living legend himself:

Robert Hunter - Ripple @ the Ryman Auditorium.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, Ezzie and 3 others like this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

God Bless Robert Hunter.

9. Yobbles

Yobbles Forum Resident

One thing I didn't need to be visualizing at 7:30 in the morning..... "Pole Man".

:wtf:

budwhite, ruben lopez, Ezzie and 5 others like this.
  10. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

This day in history listening: 6/27/76 - Rochester, NY. I like the sound of this matrix. I've also discovered more and more over the last month that I really dig shows with a good "Brown Eyed Women." Who knew.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  11. US Blues

Um, the Rochester show was in September. The boys played in Chicago on the 27th of June, 1976.

12. US Blues

31 August 2017- Joe Russo's Almost Dead, Red Rocks Amphitheatre, Morrison, CO. Got my tickets. Anybody else planning on attending this seminal event?

13. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

No but I'll be at Capital Theatre on 7/22/17!!!

First JRAD show for me!!!

warewolf95 and US Blues like this.
  14. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

I dunno man. Just going off of what's listed on the entry in Relisten to the Dead: 1976-06-27 - Auditorium Theater - Rochester, NY

I see now it's been mislabeled. Archive says Chicago.

Oh yeah, insanely jealous you'll be seeing JRAD at Red Rocks.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  15. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

With all this Go To Nassau talk, I actually have something ALMOST relevant to contribute. :)

So, a few months ago I finished 1974 and began 1982. I got 3 shows in before deciding to finish 1991 for good.

Today I restart 1982 with 2/16/82, San Fransisco, CA

This year will be my first major foray into listening to AUD recordings. And I gotta say, this one for 2/16/82 is GREAT!!! One of those "you're in the room" listens. Just fantastic quality!!!

I'll be reposting my reviews for the few shows I heard once I re-listen to them.

Great Shakedown to being this gig.

GuidedByJonO))) likes this.
  16. warewolf95

Screw it - for good measure here's the review for 2/17/82, San Fransisco :)

2/16/82 – San Fransisco, CA **

A fun and funky Shakedown opens 1982 with a bang. Jerry is jammin' and in good voice for now and the boys are kickin'. With GSET, we see the guys rocking full tilt. Jerry is in full shred-fest mode tonight, throwing out more lines of noodles than there are lyrics in the song! A great version! Love the bi-vocal attack of Brent and Bobby. A lovely FOTD graces our ears next. Brent's playing is the definite highlight of the performance, though Jerry's bird-like solo towards the end is just as good. A hot Rooster is next. The slide playing doesn't suck, the song doesn't drag and Brent is great – as usual. Holy crap, the song RAGES to a finale. Wow. Dynamics at their finest!

Peggy O is excellent too. It begins perhaps a bit rushed, but it eventually establishes it's mood and tempo and builds upon it. Jerry is, again, singing great and delicately, his perfect playing accentuating the nuances of this performance in every best way. MAMU is unusually powerful and dark tonight! Very “Loser”-esque! Pretty cool. Of course, it's on straight into Big River like noone batted an eye. Big River is Big River, hyper as always. Brent does a great solo that gets a reaction from the crowd.

After Althea, a soaring Looks Like Rain follows. It goes on and on and on. And on. And on some more! It begins a little ragged, but the ending sections are raging like Rooster did and the guys are just building things up and up and up until they can expand no further and finale draw the song to it's conclusion. Wow. The always-welcome Might As Well ends the first set mighty swell. ;)

An uptempo China Cat opens set 2. It's a little hesitant vocally, but guitar-wise Jerry is still trying. As the transition jam begins to unfold, Jerry remains in the spotlight, throwing out inspired leads left and right. It's not '74, but this'll do just fine, thanks! Rider kicks it up 10 big notches and the boys pull out all the stops rocking so hard your automatic headbanging will commence! Woohoo! The crowd gets in on the action clapping and singing along. WONDERFUL RIDER!

This energy carries over into a very nicely jammed out and lengthy (for '82) PITB. It basically stays in the same hyper-jazz mode for the entirety of the jam, but what it here is pretty excellent and worth hearing. After 12 enjoyable minutes, the boys shift gears and on to Terrapin we go. Terrapin is surprisingly understated tonight. Lacking the majesty and grandeur of other versions, tonight's performance is rather....not muted, but “quiet”. Not bad by any means, but perhaps a little different than the norm. Uncharacteristically relaxed is probably the best way to describe this Terrapin (IMO).

The world's fastest Truckin' is the next song on tonight's platter. It's pretty good and has a nice little Nobody's Fault jam for a few minutes before switching gears into Black Peter. The playing on Truckin' is a tad sloppy, but it's more than made up for by the insane energy displayed within. It's almost as hot as 6/16/91's China>Rider! Out of Space and into a PITB reprise. A rocking trio of Around and Around, Good Lovin' and, oddly, Don't Ease Me In, bring this partying show to a close. This show was really enjoyable. It's no X-Factor Fest, just a strong, well-performed gig with lots of energy and a fun vibe to it.

Don't expect much and this show will reward you. :)

Claxton and GuidedByJonO))) like this.
  17. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I was at that show, but I don't think I've heard it since. I remember liking the show a lot, but the next night wound up overshadowing it in my mind...I'll have to track down the second set.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and warewolf95 like this.
  18. warewolf95

6/16/91 was one of the best of the year. Possibly the literal hottest China>Rider ever - I'm talking energy stacked on top of energy thrown back with 3 cans of Monster.

6/17/91 was one of the best of all time! Just a total X Factor paradise.

:)

Crispy Rob and bzfgt like this.
  19. Kevin55

Kevin55 Forum Resident

Here's the transcript of Trixie's AMA

I’m Trixie Garcia, Jerry Garcia's daughter. AMA! • r/jgb

20. nfmboss666

nfmboss666 Forum Resident

I love this thread. Started reading about 40 pages back, took me a week to get here. Going through a major exploration of the dead as of late, a minor fan before is quickly turning into a big one! Going to see Dead & Company tomorrow night and could not be more excited!

Also, Spinning Cornell 77 right now on Vinyl.

21. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

In honor of the GSTL release and to fully enjoy and explore its musical contexts, one of my summer listening "projects" has been to do a bracket style showdown with all the Spring 1977 official releases from 4.24.77 (Passaic) to 6.9.77 (Winterland). Listened today to 6.8.77 and I forgot how great this show was (to my ears it demolished 5.15.77 [St Louis]). 6.9.77 has long been one of my three favorite shows of 1977, if not at times my favorite, but I had almost forgotten how strong 6.8.77 was and how great it sounds from that Winterland 77 Box. Everything is just played so well with a stand out "Eyes" "Other One" and super high energy NFA>GDTRFB>JB Goode. And all first set songs (including "Rambin'" in the 2nd set)!are so good. Great show. Great warm sound (you can really feel and hear that great room). Excellent show. Not sure it can "go all the way", but I think I clearly had it underseeded. I'm already looking forward to hearing it again in its next round.

22. ianuaditis

Thanks for the link.

In some ways it reminded me of this:
    "Yes, I have a question.
    Oftentimes my household sponges accumulate an awful amount of buildup.
    What can I do to prevent this?

-That's an excellent question.
    It's very important to thoroughly wring out your sponges after every usage.
    This will prevent the accumulation of grime and bacteria.
    A dry sponge is a happy sponge.

-I have a question for Jonathan Frakes.
    I have this itch on the back of my leg, and I can't figure out if it's a bug bite or dry skin.

- Do you take hot showers?
    - Yes.
    - Dry skin.
    - Thanks.

-I have a question for Gates McFadden.
    I've got an artesian well on my property and the water pressure is lousy.
    Any suggestions?

-I would check the point first before re-priming it.
    But remember that the summer months take a particular toll on any region's aquifer, depending on the local climate.

And that's the last question.
    Thank you for coming.
    You've been wonderful."

Read more: http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/view_episode_scripts.php?tv-show=family-guy&episode=s07e11

I read about 20 unanswered questions and saw the link at the bottom for 77 more! (some of those may have been answered, depending on the tree format I guess.)

It's a shame, with such a mass of questions she didn't have time for, that one of the first was something about Trey Anastasio at FTW. (Especially because the question could have been answered with a little research beforehand.)

Still very cool of her to do it.

I've lurked a bit over there, it seems a Sam Cutler AMA is also in the works, that one is a can't miss for me after FTW.

GuidedByJonO))), Kevin55 and NorCal like this.
  23. ianuaditis

FTW by which I mean LST :shrug:

24. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Pole man. Lols. We just called him Hippy Jesus back in the 90's.

budwhite, US Blues and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. ianuaditis

8-24-91 was the first JGB concert I heard, taped from 'Morning Dew' on WBAI in NYC. Playing it again now...

Billy_Sunday, Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.