The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

Top 5 Dark Stars:

2/27/69
    4/22/69
    2/13/70
    4/8/72
    6/23/74

2. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

My top 5 Dark Stars, with the caveat that I've only spent extensive time listening to official releases and I'm new at this (ask me in year and this may be way different):

2/13/70
    10/19/73 (If I can combine it with the Mind Left Body Jam)
    11/11/73
    2/24/74
    9/10/74

Honorable Mention to the Soundtrack version.

I love my Dark Star > Morning Dew combos and the 73/74 Dark Stars do more for me than the earlier ones. I also haven't heard the DiP 36 version yet (my copy is on the way and I've heard only bits and pieces of that release, which are excellent, thus my recommendation above).

budwhite, RockRoom and bzfgt like this.
  3. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Assuming they stay open for that long...

Scopitone and SBegonias17 like this.
  4. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Exactly. The fewer subscriptions, the better.

dzhason, SBegonias17 and Scopitone like this.
  5. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Why couldn't you combine it? The MLB jam on 11/11 is combined...does someone's arbitrary track division make a difference?

SBegonias17 likes this.
  6. bzfgt

That could be a game changer for you, if you'll forgive the awful cliche. The attentive reader will note that it's in my top 5...

SBegonias17 likes this.
  7. bzfgt

Bubbling under:

9/24/72
    9/10/74 ("Spam Jam" on DP 7 is of course more Dark Star)
    10/16/89, 7/12/90, 9/20/90 sentimental favorites...the Branford one too I guess, as I was at those...might as well throw in the DS-y 6/17/89 and you'd have all the ones I saw...of and 6/14/91, that does it I think...

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    SBegonias17 likes this.
  8. SBegonias17

I did combine it, I just didn't want to run afoul of some unknown corollary or DS rule. I'm really looking forward to DiP 36 and its DS, the other '72 ones I've heard are really good, but don't do the same for me as the 73/74 editions.

bzfgt likes this.
  9. SBegonias17

My preference has always been to own the music, not to rent it. That's a premium I'd always pay for. Streaming is great for what it is, but I wouldn't want to rely on great internet and corporations as to when and where I can listen to music I love.

10. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Fair enough. I am just saying before someone were to drop 2 grand, they could consider their options. Heck, the Picks can be had on iTunes in great SQ for under $20 a show for most of them. And I am sure they can be purchased as FLAC on other sites like livedownloads for only a few bucks more.

I know that wasn't the intention of the original comment, which I took as half jest. It just got me to thinking about the differences in the way we acquire and consume music.

SBegonias17 likes this.
  11. bzfgt

Really? I think 72 is the prime year for Dark Star! Not that I don't dig the 73/74s...

12. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

If you don't have that much money and are content being patient, I've found the vast majority of my Dick's Picks within the last few years as they've cycled through used at my favorite local shops. They are typically priced much more reasonably there than on the auction sites. I also plugged a few holes though the Real Gone reissues, but even some of those are out of print now. That said, I'm in a dry spell now and I haven't come across any of the seven I still need for what I'd be willing to pay.

The Dave's Picks are a whole different story. Those never turn up in shops, in my experience.

Matthew Tate and Scopitone like this.
  13. Yeah, I've actually had some luck finding Dick's Picks in the local used bins. I paid like $7.99 for DP 23 (9/17/72) for instance.

Matthew Tate, dzhason and Scopitone like this.
  14. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

The pricing can vary, but I've paid as little as $12.99 for a three disc set and $20.99 for one of the four disc sets.

15. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

You'd never find that in my local record shop. They know what's out of print and what's in demand. I have never seen a used Dix Pick for under $30. The Garcia disc goes for over $30 when they have it. And forget finding bargains on things like 80's issue Bowie.

They're hip to those kinds of tricks. :wantsome:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Matthew Tate and Blue Note like this.
  16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I was in the mood for a short concert by our dear band, so I'm listening to this:
    [​IMG]

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

and nugs is available for dl-usually cheaper than the physical product.

Scopitone likes this.
  18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Welp, I'm dead as a doorknob right now.

Last night we had a night driving session from 6pm until 2 am. I didn't get home until 3.

We have the same again tonight. It was great and all (actually really relaxing) but I'm just tired as hell.

I'm not stressing right now as much as I thought I would be, considering my DMV test is on Tuesday (!!!!!!!).

I've been following the thread on my phone the last few days. Glad you guys are enjoying all the great music.

I'm in a Rush mood today so no show for now. Peace guys. :)

US Blues, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  19. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Good for you, glad to hear it's going well ~! Get some rest bro ... :righton:

NP: PITB from DP 7

ianuaditis, Crispy Rob, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  20. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Listening to Day of the Dead for the first time. It showed up on Amazon Prime streaming.

21. Orange T-Rex

Orange T-Rex Forum Resident

Hmmm...who is reissuing the RT series? Dead.net/Rhino, Real Gone, or some other company? Or did it already happen? Asking for a friend. :D

ianuaditis and SBegonias17 like this.
  22. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Real Gone. Only 4.5 released so far. 4.4 is next. I don't know why they're going backwards but they are.

23. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Maybe because the first 2 compilations from 77 & 79 never sold out. Plus so they can avoid the outcry for the lack of bonus discs on the first 2 re-issues:)

24. SBegonias17

And per Amazon, 4.4 is due out September 1. You know, the same day DP 23 will be announced at this rate.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Is the '77 release still available? I think it's excellent.