The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

In all seriousness though, this Scar>Fire from 7/2/95 is great!

MILES better than 5/3/86....

2. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

They've re-issued that god awful sideways vibrato???

ianuaditis likes this.
  3. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

I don't think they ever opened a show with Victim either, did they?

4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

no, set 2 plenty of times.

bzfgt likes this.
  5. warewolf95

So I kept going with 7/2/95 and was rewarded with this fantastic Victim.

I'm sure it was influenced by the happennings of the night and let me tell you if you haven't heard it - IT'S KILLER!!!!

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  6. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

And I remember some good shows that started with Bucket...

7. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

Whereas Bucket itself was tolerable at best. They must have played that at least half the shows I saw. Started to feel like a curse after a while.

US Blues, ianuaditis and bzfgt like this.
  8. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I have yet to really listen much to any 90's Dead so I can't weigh in here, but as I mentioned the other day I did just get my first 90s show, one at Nassau with Branford Marsalis in 3/90 (I believe).

I've been exploring the last show from the GStL box that I had yet to listen, 5/9/77. Really digging it, the opening Help>Slip>Franklin may be my favorite Help>Slip I've heard yet, the more extended Slipknot was a treat. Oh, and the Cassidy! Still in progress of listening to the rest.

Mansley, adamos, Crispy Rob and 3 others like this.
  9. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

but at least you enjoyed the ride

US Blues, trd, dzhason and 3 others like this.
  10. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

Worth owning only for cd3.
    Same with Dick's Picks 19.

11. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Whenever someone asks this I mention a show that no one else seems to have noticed...3/27/95 Atlanta. It has a long Playin->Uncle John's that is as good an example of 92-95 Dead as you're likely to find. Although, to be honest, even there Jerry's guitar playing sounds like someone spilled beer on his fingers just before he went onstage.

I haven't heard enough 1995 to tell you what the worst show was. I know people mention Highgate and Giants Stadium from June.

Crispy Rob and warewolf95 like this.
  12. warewolf95

Thanks for the suggestion. Checkin' out that PITB right now and they definitely give it all they've got. Pretty sweet.

pbuzby likes this.
  13. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I always liked Bucket. But then I don't have any problem with put down/revenge songs.

You analyze me, tend to despise me
    You laugh when I stumble and fall
    There may come a day when I'll dance on your grave
    Unable to dance I'll still crawl across it
    Unable to dance I'll still crawl
    Unable to dance I'll still crawl
    Unable to dance I'll crawl.

14. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

It wasn't the lyrics.

15. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

There's a review of 1-16-70 in the Taping Compendium that refers to the vocals on Dancing in the Streets as 'shriek-o-rama,' which is hilariously true, but this short version is worth checking out just for the intense little jam. Shorter than the 66 rendition found on Vintage Dead, but I love what Phil is doing here.

Then Alligator.

I think I mentioned the time I had Anthem of the Sun on in the car, and my daughter was whining 'how much longer is thiiiiis song?' during Alligator, until the ending part with the 'ALLIGATOR' group vocals. I hear her giggling, and she says "are they saying Alligator?' And she made me rewind it a few times.

16. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

St. Stephen>Eyes>Let it Grow from 6/9/76 from RT 4.5 is priceless. The whole release is fantastic.

17. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is worth hearing the crowd response to the beginning of Stephen on the Steve Hopkins AUD source. This is cut from the vault recording.

18. Dahabenzapple

I know - I hate that Stephen starts the second disc. In any event the jam in the middle is very strong with a great peak before they return to last verse.

19. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is a unique jam after "one man gathers." Sounds a bit like they forgot how to get back to the song.

Crispy Rob and Dahabenzapple like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Yes - they faded out to almost complete silence then as a group (not sure who led them), they cranked it back up to a blistering peak and then back into the song. Very exciting. One of those sequences that is indicative of what/why/how the Dead was so great.

*Then* they unexpectedly play a long intro to Eyes - not sure if they ever did this before.

21. trd

trd Forum Resident

90 days as a resident of the South Bay, just gotta poké around

Finishing up 9-10-91 MSG from the porch crusher. So nice to have a professionally mastered version of this show.

footlooseman and Crispy Rob like this.
  22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Giants was the worst one that I saw, the one with the post-Space train wreck involving The Other One and Wharf Rat, if I recall correctly, although not a show I try to think about much. I thought the Scarlet->Fire show in Seattle and the Charlotte show with Hornsby guesting, as well as the Salt Lake City show in the 30 Trips box, were some of the better shows of a dire year. I went to Memphis (could not pass up an opportunity to see the Dead inside a pyramid), which was pretty good, and supposedly the Alabama shows as well, although I've never sought those out.

budwhite and SBegonias17 like this.
  23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Listening to 5/23/69, the first of the two shows featured on RT 4.1, the Big Rock Pow-Wow. Classic '69 Dead, including a solid Morning Dew and DS>SS. I split it into the two shows to make it slightly easier to follow; I did the same on Dave's 6.

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

At least I'm enjoying the Kind...

25. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Speaking of the Kind: 24 September 1972- Dark Star. 45th Anniversary of an exceptional performance.

adamos, dgwint, budwhite and 4 others like this.