The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

@ianuaditis Make copies for the car and for friends. Originals stay home. Or as Brent would say never trust a car CD player.

2. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I'm not much of an 80s fan, but I have long thought that 4/17, 18 and 19 would make a solid box. Having been at 4/17 (best Shakedown, best Baby Blue, ever, and I will brook no argument on this) and 18, I may be biased.

3. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I love Bucket. I like the song a lot and it's catchy and rocks. Always gets the show off to a great start imo. :)

Crispy Rob likes this.
  4. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

After Friday's used bin find (Beyond Description box), which completed my studio album collection, I decided to work on a little studio album tour this week. What better place to start than with the debut album:

The Grateful Dead

[​IMG]

So, the Beyond Description box is supposed to be 1973-1989, but, being a used item, it was already open and the person who traded it in had left both the debut album and Aoxomoxoa in the box, so I got those as "bonus" discs. I was stoked about this as I would have still been missing the debut album otherwise (I already had Aoxomoxoa).

Mansley, adamos, Crispy Rob and 5 others like this.
  5. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Dick's 23, 9/17/72.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  6. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Funny I just listened to a TDIH show yesterday from '87 with a stand along Bucket... into a standalone FIRE! :D

warewolf95 likes this.
  7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Add the 14th from Glens Falls and I'll back your campaign.

brew ziggins and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

One of my favorites on that disc is the bonus track "Alice D. Millionaire". It's a spiffy little track about Bear (Owsley). The bonus 23-minute live "Viola Lee Blues" is fun too.

9. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Just finished "Alice D...", I just hope I don't start feeling funny in the next 45 minutes or so because I'm hoping to get a little work done today.

10. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

I was checking the list on my phone of missing Dick's Picks that I would still like to pick up and it says that Dick's 22 is from '68. Although, my phone could be wrong as I often mistype the dates when making such lists.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. wavethatflag

Fixed, 23. Hard time reading my phone this morning.

dzhason likes this.
  12. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

13. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Since I'm listening to the debut, it got me curious about the Shrine vinyl for 11/10/67 which I saw the other day in the shop too. I was listening to a portion of a SBD of the show on Relisten last night, and I was digging it. I started searching the thread for mentions of the Shrine vinyl and I found quite a few mentions that refer to it having good sound quality. Relisten has 3 sources, two of which lists Dan Healy as the taper, and one as unknown; I was listening to the Unknown (which had 30 reviews and nearly five stars). Just curious if any folks with the vinyl (or, I guess even the CDs from the 30 trips box for that matter) can testify as to whether the sound on the official releases are significantly better than that of these unofficially released ones? I don't have any live recordings that are this early and I was digging what I heard last night.

14. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Get it! The official release (vinyl & cd) is mixed from an 8-track recording (funded by Warner Bros. for the Anthem album). It sounds great and the performance is a fantastic piece of acid-rock. The vinyl was likely cut from the high-res, 24-bit master, while the CD is HDCD.

You may want to wait until Barnes and Noble or one of the other retailers has a 15 or 20% off sale though so that you can get the 3LP set for less than $50. That's what I did.

15. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

These days I always avoid taking my CDs in the car after having a bunch of my CDs from my teens/early-20s get scratched beyond good playing condition by the time I had finished college. Although, in those days I used to keep the CDs in one of those black CD books in the car 365 days a year while doing who knows what running all over the place. So, I probably wouldn't have so much of a problem these days; however, this is why I love my iPod now.

Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  16. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Thanks, I'll check B&N for their price, I buy often from acousticsounds as they almost always have a 15-20% coupon code, but their regular prices can often be a tad bit higher than other places. Unforutnately, B&N's 20% member discount ended yesterday and it's now back to the regular 10%, but I still got Crimson, White, and Indigo, Wake Up to Find Out, and Road Trips 4.4 using the sale.

Instant Dharma likes this.
  17. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

Anthem of the Sun

[​IMG]

18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Deluxe with Mini Humbuckers.
    This one has the infamous "Goof Hiders" which is basically an extra plastic surround for each pickup to hide any bad routing done in the factory.

Six Bachelors and ianuaditis like this.
  19. wavethatflag

Hi. What's AK? I looked it up on google and all I got was AK-47. Then I googled "AK Grateful Dead" and all I got was info about their 1980 show in Alaska.

The Wall and associated expenses nearly bankrupted the band, broke them financially, so I don't think Bear paid for it. :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Mowgli, budwhite, bzfgt and 2 others like this.
  20. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Plus before and after the Wall, the record company and then the Movie. I imagine those "brainstorming" sessions with Jerry & Ron Rakow were filled with all kinds of huge/great world-changing ideas:)

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  21. wavethatflag

This is a good Wall article I bookmarked a while back. You're right about world-changing, or at least industry-changing.
    The Wall of Sound

22. dzhason

dzhason Forum Resident

After finishing Anthem I had this sudden urge to have lunch and watch some of the 7-7-89 concert DVD from Crimson, White, and Indigo, so the studio album tour is temporarily on pause. They're sounding really tight on this and everyone's vocals are at least as solid as any of the earlier solid vocal sets I can think of (e.g. I was really admiring the vocal performances on 5/9/77 yesterday, even my daughter noticed and commented something like, "The girl is singing pretty like a princess").

23. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

KeninDC, wavethatflag and Dennis0675 like this.
  24. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

My wife and I watched Box of Rain then Scarlet>Fire last night.

For 1989, Jerry sounds good but compared to 1977?!?

Nice jam as they get to Fire. Strong playing within Fire but it's still miles since 77-78. I enjoyed more than I did a year ago so this Deadmania thing is really insidious.

ianuaditis, US Blues, dzhason and 3 others like this.
  25. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I'm actually more of a fan of the 89-90 JGB. Melvin, the singers and the set list has more excitement for me. Donna and Maria in JGB feels a bit more lazy and ethereal to me, kind of Palm Sunday vs. Breadbox. Both are fantastic

budwhite likes this.