The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I really like Road Trips 2.1 (Sept 1990). Much better than Dick's 9 IMO.

2. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Reckoning Bird Song, a classic.

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Actually, that set sounds fine to my ears as well. But Jerry misses a beat on the jam in Throwing Stones that annoys me 12 ways to Sunday, so I deleted the whole shebang from my Media Player.

wavethatflag likes this.
  4. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

If I had to pick 1 it would be 10-31-91.

But 4-1-91, 9-10-91, 6-17-91 all contenders.

I just listened to set 1 of 3-20-91, I really love their sound in that year. The keyboards do drive me a bit nuts, but I can deal with it after a bit. For some reason everyone has some kind of wah sound on in set 1, it actually sounds great to me.

I'll have to delve into those 90 Dark Stars sometime, that RFK show does have a pretty good setlist.

Billy_Sunday, adamos and bzfgt like this.
  5. wavethatflag

You are a stern file master. I have the opposite problem. Once I add something to the library, I have a hard time deleting it no matter what it is. Lady Gaga, for example. I don't even really like her, I don't hate her, but there she is--the stupid album where she's a motorcycle on the cover. An ex- bought me that album because I verbalized that I was sort of impressed with her when she performed with Brian May on TV.

So Many Roads Bird Song, 3/29/90. I should play Wake Up To Find Out Bird Song next, aka Spring 1990 Too* 3/29 Bird Song, since it's the same one before Normanization, I assume.

*I mean Spring 1990 (The Other One). Too is from GDTS Too, which probably doesn't exist anymore. This is what happens to a brain when you stop drinking Snapple.

Edit: The main effect that I detect from Normanization is Brent is further right than in the So Many Roads version. I'm sure there are other differences, but this would require me to play both tracks over and over, focusing on different instruments each time. And that my friends would be too much damn work. :D

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  6. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Ouch. Jerry was capable of and did similar *Gasp* even in the 70's! Lols.

bzfgt and Archtop like this.
  7. Archtop

Lemme make something very clear: I gravitate to improvised music. Yes indeed, all members of the GoGD had some gaffs in all eras. Some bug me more than others; earlier today you were wondering why I shouldn't be considered a deadhead and now you're questioning how I've explained why I am not?

And Hoo Haa! I made post 2,000. That and $3 will get me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.

unravelled, budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  8. libertycaps

^Take it easy there, hombre. This ain't my first rodeo! :D

budwhite and Archtop like this.
  9. wavethatflag

I do not believe this to be the case. I assert no relationship between deleting files and not being a Dead Head or a Deadhead. I was talking about Lady Gaga.

I think when Norman re-mixes stuff he brightens the proceedings and expands the sound stage horizontally. This is all a matter of taste, really .

Archtop likes this.
  10. Archtop

Nor mine, hombre.

11. wavethatflag

I have yet to attend a rodeo. I did however see a video where Madonna, in a cowboy hat, stole Sheryl Crow's act.

I think Branford Bird Song is as good as anything from any era of all music ever.

12. libertycaps

Thanks all for the help with post-coma GoGD. It's about time i dipped my toe in. Fun and knowledgeable Dead Head community here at the Hoff! Cheers. :righton:

13. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

that road trips is also very good. 1990-1991 were still good years for the band

BurtThomasWard, bzfgt and SBegonias17 like this.
  14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

I don't generally have the time for post-Dead (there's only so much music one can squeeze in) but, at the prompting of David Gans on Twitter, I took a listen to Dead & Co's Playing on 11/19/2017 last night off the Archive - I've got to say, it's very, very good indeed!

(Skip ahead to Track 13 - or even listen to the whole show, if you prefer!)

ianuaditis and budwhite like this.
  15. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

2000 eh... I wish we could stay in the 90s when things where a bit... different

Anyway, 78-11-23. Yes, that a good second set with a funky Shakedown that Jerry teases for a few min during Ollin Arageed

Billy_Sunday and US Blues like this.
  16. ianuaditis

One of my kids decided to wake up at quarter to 2 and has been awake since, so at least I got to finish 3-20-91.

Set 2 - Might as Well I can always pretty much take or leave - Eyes of the World is where the midi stuff grates on me, and some rough singing mars Foolish Heart. I love Bobby's guitar tone throughout this set, it's never that icy metallic sound he often gets, and he has some kind of synth wah effect at times that's very effective. The Midi horns at the end of Estimated (I believe from Vince) are actually really effective at evoking the studio version. And space builds into a tripped out Other One with those crazy effects on Weir's vocal. Wharf Rat is fairly standard for the era, with all manner of plinks and tubular bells on the closing jam, and Sugar Magnolia a nice rocking finish. I'd have been happy with The Weight as an encore anytime.

17. ianuaditis

You know what I could stand to see officially released ? 3-20-1970 and 3-21-70.

I know there's probably massive issues with the source tapes, since they are only audience recordings, but they put out 5-2-70 with that weird mono, I wish there was something in this day and age they could do to reclaim these to the point where our friends who insist on official releases only would be able to hear 'all-time' jams like He Was A Friend>Viola Lee Blues>The Seven>Cumberland, or this immense Dancin' in the Streets, both from 3-21.

(And causing myself some consternation because I know I listened to 3-20, but it's not written up in my book....)

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

I did the switch to the vape on 3/28/15 when my 2015 Mustang arrived. Another small step in altering my life a bit over 10 years after everything changed. Now no sodas (I like diet lemonade with lemon juice added or a flavoured water or two) and now the last 30 or 45 Days, very little sweets except for today, of course. Lost 5-6 pounds but as Parcells said a decade or 2 ago, like a deck chair off the Queen Mary - nor exactly but I’m not quite Papa Joe - see below....

Today is the day despite some mean family members on my wife’s side to be Grateful no matter what. How awful it might have been if not for an all knowing love coming from somewhere. I remember the Thanksgiving in 2004 when I had 3 weeks and I thought I was ruined for good....at least they let me in and fed me....

Oh if only Jerome had received it like I did:( he got all the love but not the love I got from some former gutter rats and street urchins....

But no Snapple for Dahabenzapple!!

Where did that name come from - I think I asked his son Mat - I think he laughed and it’s still unclear.....

I wish I could post album covers as the cover for my trade name is the best of all-time as is the music played on it by a quartet that is also to me pretty much the best of all-time. A quick google and you all can see the back of his head and when I see it I feel the late great grand master of the microtones.

For whatever reason the title “The Love You’re Giving Us” which is the middle track on that exquisite 1993 recording applies to Joe Maneri’s music and also from my viewpoint to all of you here.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017
  19. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

First of FOUR CONSECUTIVE STANLEY CUPS. Er, sorry, it's just worth mentioning.

ianuaditis likes this.
  20. US Blues

I find your lack of the 12 December 1990- Big Mac Dark Star disturbing. I should note that they came out of Space on the 14th to finish verse 2, a rare split Dark Star in a 3 night run.

The whole set from the 12th is exceptional:

China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider > Looks Like Rain ; Iko, Iko ; Dark Star > MELT! > Terrapin Station > Drums > Space > All Along The Watchtower > Stella Blue > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away E: The Weight

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and DrLunchbox like this.
  21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

My good friend jj was the guy who worked on the famous usher tapes. There's still hundreds of tapes that will probably never see the light of day. I understand that just about every set was recorded during that time. Too bad only a handful have been transferred.

Crispy Rob, ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  22. Archtop

Maybe for some of us. I was trying to link transcendent Phil with the onset of immortality. In any case, Phil post-hiatus became a different being. He played fewer notes, but picked his spots to be sure. I prefer pre-hiatus Phil, but saw him enough times in the early-mid '80s to say that he remained a very innovative and creative force for a good while.

ianuaditis and US Blues like this.
  23. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

I think the first three were from Healy's boards. Vol IV should be with a 5.1 as well. Cutler is credited as mixing on it and Guy Charbonneau of Le Mobile truck is credited on the Dylan & Dead album they were making with those shows.

I was listening to it last night. I find Cutler's mixes to be very interesting, a bit more on the lean and dry side but tending towards accuracy and all very enjoyable. That vol. IV has an interesting way of mixing in audience as well. Try Cutler's mix with Phil on Downhill From Here soon.

Crispy Rob, budwhite and trd like this.
  24. US Blues

I did enjoy watching the Bruins incite a riot in Vancouver. :laugh:

As for Phil, well, words simply fail to describe his musical genius. Jimmy Herring, in an interview, compared Phil to Beethoven. But Ludvig didn't really JAM.

25. bmoregnr

bmoregnr Forum Rezident

Victim through Dark Star is bonus material on VFTV II and it indeed great.

Crispy Rob, Matthew Tate and trd like this.