The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Performance-wise I think it's an outstanding show.

Crispy Rob, wavethatflag and adamos like this.
  2. headshok

headshok Well-Known Member

There was a discussion some pages back about when "in a circle" was dropped from The Other One. Not sure if it was mentioned yet, but on Dick's Picks 18 (Feb 5, 1978), at ~7:35, you can hear Bob mistakenly sing the line.

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I’d like the original LP side fades included too.
    :hide:

bmoregnr likes this.
  4. Six Bachelors

Ahhh, but which Travis Bean? There were a few of them but, basically, humbuckers up to August ‘76, then single coils up to September ‘77.

I much prefer the humbucker Bean, but don’t mind the single coiled Beans with Jerry solo. I find the tone too prominent in the Dead context.

Crispy Rob and budwhite like this.
  5. Six Bachelors

You keep saying this or something similar. What do you mean?

As far as I can tell, it is an attack on some of us but, giving you the benefit of the doubt and truly valuing the calm and respectful atmosphere on here, would you mind explaining this sentiment that you have repeated a number of times?

BurtThomasWard and bzfgt like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No one knew the setlist of the ending of 8/25/72 until they posted the Dave's tracklist a few months ago.

7. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I remember reading somewhere that it was thought that a significant portion of the 2nd set was missing, not just a few songs (i.e. Stella Blue, OMSN, and Sugar Magnolia).

US Blues likes this.
  8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The second set is shorter than was common for that time frame. Guess they had to boogie up the coast and played a shorty.

9. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

There was a curfew. Weir refers to it during his banter.

budwhite, Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  10. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

4/17/72 underway once again / Cold Rain & Snow is a great opener once again. China Cat exploding out of my old Hyundai car speakers - sounds incredible as always with these E72 multi-tracks.

11. US Blues

My feeling about the China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider, based on my viewings of the video, is that Jerry is well aware the camera is on and he wants to lay down a version worthy of the capture. That the GD have not yet obtained the rights to this video and sold it too us is beyond absurd.

12. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

They should release this... etc etc etc (I've posted this thousands of times already) :laugh:.

Crispy Rob, SBegonias17 and US Blues like this.
  13. US Blues

11 December 1972- Winterland. Late-year Dark Star's from 1972 do not receive their due attention hereabouts (IMHO). Take for example today's specimen: Dark Star > Stella Blue, which features an extended and interesting journey through various realms worthy of the quest. And the Stella Blue is sublime. I recommend this show to all fans of the Grateful Dead.

14. dgwint

dgwint Forum Resident

11/19/72 and 11/26/72 agree with you they do not get their due!

15. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I wasn't aware of the multiple Beans - maybe I was once, but then forgot. Anyway, the single coil sound is the one for me, as in 10/9-10/76 Oakland Coliseum (DiP 33) and Spring' 77.

Six Bachelors and adamos like this.
  16. Dahabenzapple

Isn’t it amazing when a second listen changes everything?

Case in point: PITB from 7/19/74 via Dave’s 17

First time I didn’t hear a thing - right now 20 minutes in it is taking over my brain. Phil Lesh at peak power.

17. Dahabenzapple

Especially the *sound* on Dick's 33:)

Just listened to most of Dave’s 18 (7/16 & 7/17/76) and the Travis Bean’s sound is missing a little something, I think

budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  18. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

In a way I like how this is maybe an attack on some of you. Or perhaps is isn't and I don't. Or summat.

Peace, bruvvs. Peace.

19. BurtThomasWard

Always wondered what JRAD was supposed to mean. Now I know. I am way to timid to actually ask, ya know.

JRM and ianuaditis like this.
  20. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I like the Bean tone, especially when heavy on the neck pickup (you can hear that pickup configuration in one incarnation at the beginning of The Other One on DaP 18). The aluminum neck gave it more of a ringing feel in contrast to wood. Sort of like the difference between tossing pre-1965 quarter onto a table and a 1965 or later quarter onto a table.

21. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I have to admit I find the Travis Bean(s) a little too screechy at times. Not all the time or every song, but sometimes when listening to it for an extended period. But I’m certainly a fan of DiP 33 and DaP 18, as well as Spring ‘77, so I can’t mind it that much.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2017
    Six Bachelors likes this.
  22. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Far as I can tell, the Dead and realated scene enjoyed a good troll before trolling was a thing!! Of course I learned plenty about pranksterism from the MOST excellent Electric Koolaid Acid Test.

Billy_Sunday and ianuaditis like this.
  23. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I don't find it screechy at all, but I do find it far too metallic (notwithstanding my comment about the neck pickup being forward). Not metallic as in metal; metallic as in bereft of mid-range tone. Tinny, as Graham Chapman would have said (and did, many times). Wolf is woody. Yes.

24. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

I agree on everything you said

Six Bachelors and ianuaditis like this.
  25. BurtThomasWard

While I wouldn't go as far as saying that the TB was too metallic (in fact I really love it), I think it was better suited the less extreme on stage volume of the Jerry Band in a controlled enviroment.

Much like Donna Jean who also became less 'schreecy' when she actually heard herself sing :biglaugh: