The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Why?

2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

the bean is the most "liquid"

Crispy Rob likes this.
  3. BurtThomasWard

BurtThomasWard Guided by Loke In Memoriam

Because I am a horrible person and like it when things do not get too lovey-dovey? :eek:

Or maybe you should see those words in the context of the rest of the post? Peace and all that, like.

4. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I tried that but I don't understand the post. I think I'll give up.

More importantly, I gave disc 3 of Dave's 23 today a spin. That really hit the spot. It's still yet another show from that era that ends with Around And Around but just about everything before then is thrilling.

5. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

The Bean is way to metallic for my taste, and by metallic I mean the sound of the aluminum (pronounce that as Graham Chapman would: al-u-minium) neck resonating like the hood of a Chevy being hit by a ball-peen hammer. The Wolf, by contrast, was Wood, and had a sound in concert that was magical. I heard the Wolf twice in January of '79, then in December of '89, after a year's hiatus from shows, I heard the Wolf again in Oakland and LA. The very sound of the Wolf brought tears to my eyes during Terrapin Station at the Earthquake Benefit show. Sheer, unadulterated, Magic.

PS- The sound of the Wolf also had much in common with Voles, Vac-u-um's, and Caribou...

6. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Thanks for the reminder. Many of us were hoping for "California Earthquake" which had been played a day or two after the big quake. Didn't happen. How about Help On The Way? (hadn't been played yet on the West Coast). Nope. But we did get a nice Shakedown Street, and the Terrapin was Magical indeed. One had to learn to temper their expectations going into the show, lest one come away feeling disappointed. I was burned a couple of times by wanting/expecting something that didn't materialize. 12/6/89 may have been one of those times. Tempering expectations was a good practice especially from '92 onwards.

But back to Dec '89 - yes thanks for the reminder about Wolf. Must have been my first time hearing that guitar. New Miller uploads of the LA run hitting the airwaves as we speak. Looking forward to giving them all a good listen.

7. BurtThomasWard

The point (if there ever was one) is that the interwebz is totally ridiculous and that one shouldn't take it or indeed one self too seriously, dude.

But I see that is not a popular opinion 'round here :D

Billy_Sunday and DrLunchbox like this.
  8. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Look, I think most of us has been on enough message boards for the last 10-20 years to see that the interweb is not a very nice place, and it effects people in real life.

This thread is really nice. Most others on this forum aren't

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

This is indeed a friendly space where people are free to disagree respectfully. I have abandoned other threads after getting tired of "bad vibes" (even though the Gorts do their best to keep the forum clean from unnecessary agression).

10. US Blues

I hadn't seen the band since May of '88 when I walked into the Earthquake show, I didn't give a hoot what they played although some friends were disappointed. Possibly the best version of Victim or the Crime was performed that night, the boys utterly destroyed the jam at the end.

My favorite moment, since I was behind the stage for set 2, was watching Mickey physically abuse the Beam while attempting to recreate the Earthquake. He was hammering it with the metal pipe, and then began kicking the frame of the Beam to create a thunderous sound. He was full gonzo!

CM has been putting up 24 bit copies of the cassette UltraMatrix mixes of these 4 Cali shows, he says they are better than the DAT's. One does not argue with CM, one simply downloads and enjoys.

11. BurtThomasWard

It only affects you if you let it, budski. That is what my therapist claims anyway :D

And this place is so much easier than real life. If someone (ie: me) is behaving in a way that you find so objectional that it becomes a problem for you, the ignore function will take care of that. I have done so myself once.

I have probably overlooked the grand overture for this situation in my absence and just tried to put a little oil on the stormy waters so I didn't really understand the true extent of the horrors going on.

12. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Alrighty.

Left Sunday morning from Greenville SC. Made it to Abilene TX at 5 am yesterday. Drove to west texas for another dropoff in Midland.

Deadheaded back to Tyler TX to pick up a fuel card from regional dispatch.

Sitting at a Loves travel plaza in Shreveport LA right now. Gettin a load to Dallas today.

So i listened straight through the July 1978 box set for the first time. Thoughts to come later but ill tell you what, the Dead fit Texas to a t.

It was surreal driving through the beautiful sparse alien landscapes with all the texaa related lyrics.

Great stuff. Highly recommended. :)

13. US Blues

Excellent report, Brutha! Nothing like long Dead jams for the open roads of the American West. And cowboy lyrics from Mr. Weir. Get Blue Mountain on your playlist for additional fun.

PS- And maybe some NRPS for that extra bit of cowboy vibe.

14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

It don't effect me personally, I meant more in a general sense.

But yeah, I dig the good vibes in this old thread. It's a much more satisfying read than most elsewhere

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
    warewolf95, NorCal and unravelled like this.
  15. BurtThomasWard

Me as well ;)

warewolf95 and budwhite like this.
  16. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

I tend to read everything @BurtThomasWard posts as sarcastic or tongue-in-cheek. I respect that. Dude’s just having a good time as far as I can tell. No need to over think it.

17. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

"Jerry Garcia blah blah blah!"

Too much talk about "vibes" and I start flashing back to this scene from Flirting With Disadter. The good stuff starts about 45 seconds in.....

18. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I hold the vibe of this thread as sacred and lo, beware to the poster (not Poster Nutbag) who messes with the vibe.

Put another way, I don't come here to have my mellow harshed.

JRM, NorCal, GuidedByJonO))) and 4 others like this.
  19. fishcane

fishcane Dirt Farmer

Be equally ware the poster who tries to turn this into a Phish thread :)

20. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I was heading off @adamos at the pass with that reference.

This is not 'Nam, this the Grateful Thread. There are rules.

NorCal, hyde park, warewolf95 and 7 others like this.
  21. US Blues

And yea, on this night in 1969, the Grateful Dead doth laid waste to LA. For so it is said they performed:

Dark Star > St. Stephen > The Eleven > Cumberland Blues.

Being not enough to bring the unbelievers to their senses, the Dead, for so were they called, then doth performed:

That's It For The Other One > Cosmic Charley

rAmen.

22. CBM

CBM Forum Resident

23. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

I believe that was 12/11, not 12/12. On 12/12 they advised us to turn on our lovelights, doth performed Alligator and gave us great Caution to not stop on tracks.

In other anniversary news, I'm about to finish 12/12/80. A very good, but not great show. First set is better than the second in my humble opinion.

24. Black Thumb

Black Thumb Yah Mo B There

Been on a hiatus but the news of a Phil n' Bob mini-tour has got me astir. Just hope they have enough of a gas to decide to try it out west at some point.

25. US Blues

Yes, I had some adult chocolate and went into a time warp!

Let's do the Time Warp again!

PS- But it's the Uncle John's Band > He Was A Friend Of Mine that really makes 12 Dec '69 very, very special.